• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 02:29 PM

What if you were a sci-fi/fantasy programmer, for a network, how would you make the schedule, and why?

Here's the rules:

No currently running shows.

If a show had a final ep., then it can't come back

Only shows that ended on a cliffhanger, or had one season or less, or just ended, without a finale

No filling up a schedule with one show

And if you bring back a show, state how it's different, or the same, considering the passage of time.

Explain your choices, wherever possible

You can fill up a week's worth of programming, seven days a week, three hours a day, or only as much as you want to.

Here's mine:

Monday Night all times EST

8:00 Alf
8:30 Dr, Who
9:00 Space: Above and Beyond
10:00 Special Unit 2

Tues.

8:00 The Pretender
9:00 Total Recall 2070
10:00 Farscape

Weds.

8:00 Brisco County Jr
9:00 Invisible Man
10:00 Blake's 7

Thurs.

8:00 Misfits of Science
9:00 Quark
9:30 Red Dwarf
10:00 Legend

Friday

8:00 Space Precinct
9:00 Roar
10:00 Dark Angel

Sat.

8:00 Dinotopia
9:00 Firefly
10:00 SeaQuest

Sun.

8:00 MANTIS
9:00 Cleo 2525
10:00 The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne

I'll post my reasons, and/pr any changes tomorrow.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 cylkoth

cylkoth

I'm a non attorney spokesperson

• Islander
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 03:06 PM

Weekday afternoons
1:00pm-4pm A three hour block of first run science fiction serials, each, 1 hour long.

Monday
8pm-Farscape Universe
An anthology series set within the Farscape universe, telling single, and multiple episode stories (ala Masterpiece Theatre, with sometimes 2, 4, or 6 parters), following the many characters (main cast and reaccurring) introduced on the original, critically acclaimed series.

9pm-Neon Genesis Evangelion
10pm-Space Above and Beyond

...This was a bit harder than I first thought, if I'm to stick to your rules. And since you didn't prohibit creating first run programmimg, I hope the first two ideas aren't in violation of your edict.  :)
I've longed for Sci Fi to consider doing something original during weekdays. Dark Shadows was made over 30 years ago, it's way past time for someone to take the 5 day a week, scripted, serial format and do something other than the typical (and kiddie/animated) soap genre with it.
------------------------------------------------------
Am I Blue?
Am I Blue...
Ain't these tears, in my eyes, telling you?

#3 BR48

BR48

I eat the uncertainty principle for breakfast.

• Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:15 AM

No currently running shows.

If a show had a final ep., then it can't come back

Only shows that ended on a cliffhanger, or had one season or less, or just ended, without a finale
There are only three shows that interested me and meet those criteria:  Now and Again, Brisco County Jr., and Pretender.

Of course, if I were a network executive, I'd still be promoting good sci-fi, so I suppose I would also bring back Farscape, Babylon 5: Crusade, and Firefly.  I might bring back some other shows that you mentioned them, but I'd have to review them for myself first.

So, it is a little difficult to create a schedule based only on those few shows that I'm familiar with.  Nevertheless, I am curious to see what others come up with.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users