Basically Thread is like large spores, or things falling from space down to the planet. Like silver rain. It burns. It burns and shreds human skin and dragon skin and wings. The burns are called threadscore
. It's deadly to whatever it touches. The dragons eat firestone fed to them by their riders, digest it in their second stomach and spit out fire to ‘kill’ Thread. Dragonriders fly around in the sky (not space, it won’t be dark) trying to burn Thread before it burns them or hits the ground and destroys utterly what it touches.
The gold dragons and their riders ride lower down to try to attack what the Dragonriders above missed. They use flamethrowers with a variation of firestone material in them. Queen dragons cannot chew firestone as it makes them infertile.
If a rider or dragon is hit a little bit, he/she goes between
immediately for a few seconds to freeze the Thread off their skin and is left with a nasty burn that will need treatment. If a rider or dragon is hit too much it will kill them or injure them so badly they will go between
to die and never return.
Thread drowns in water, so luckily the Weyr faces the ocean on one side.
Spoiler: click to show/hide
* Wings fly in a V-formation
* The Riders feed their dragons the firestone, then race after the falling Thread and burn it out of the sky.
* When they are hit by Thread it burns whatever it touches. Dragon and Rider must go between
momentarily to freeze the Thread. It leaves a scar or mark where it froze off.
* Thread can rip a man’s skin or a dragon’s wings to shreds. Dragons who know they are hurt beyond healing will go between
, and their Riders go with them willingly. Neither ever returns. It is an automatic reflex of both.
* The Queen’s Wing made up of the few gold queen dragons who fly Threadfall with their riders wielding flame-throwers; this wing flies below the other wings to pick off excess Thread – queens can’t chew firestone as they are unable to properly utilize the material, and it makes them infertile.
* Dragons fly and dive and circle around and generally chase Thread. Wings must be trained in strategies, maneuvers, and working together on order of each Wingleader.
deal with Thread that falls at night on their own. Can only fly at night and are nocturnal. Usually remain hidden during the day, and they are unattractive and dragon-like. (We’ll deal with them later on).
is a phosphine bearing rock. When chewed by the dragons, they are able to produce phosphorus gases, which then ignite and are used, primarily, for burning Thread out of the air. The rocks need to be somewhat "digested" in the acid of the dragons second stomach before the phosphine gases are released.
If you want a pet, read here!
Spoiler: click to show/hide
Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 12 August 2007 - 07:30 PM.