bufferchm

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob
  • Islander
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

I ran CCleaner and looked at my installed programs list and see something called "bufferchm"

What is it?
Do I need it?
Should I unistall it?

I have Windows XP Home SP2.

I did the Google thing on "bufferchm" and found no useful information that I'm aware of.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi....you're my only hope.

#2 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Isn't it about time you got a little more LV in your life?

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

Doing the same google search, there's a lot of suspicion about it... but you're right, no real hard information.

Perhaps the most help came from someone reporting it as something that popped up after uninstalling Yahoo.  

CHM is presumably Microsoft Compiled HTML Help.  So, if it isn't malware or spyware of some kind, it might have some purpose of bringing in parts of CHM files without downloading the entirety of it.  For some reason, my mind thought of the Google search bar in Firefox, where beginning to type something and it starts anticipating what you're typing and makes suggestions for you.  But that may be waaay off.

The lack of information in and of itself seems a little suspicious.  You could set a restore point and/or comprehensive backup and then take it out....
Posted Image
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#3 Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob
  • Islander
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for looking into it LaughingVulcan.

I ran Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware 2007, A-Squared Free, Spybot, AVG and even AVG Anti-Rootkit Free and they all found absolutely nothing on my system, you'd think if bufferchm was some sort of threat then one of those programs would have reported it as a threat.

I haven't had any computer problems whatsoever but you never know what some numbnuts has going out there.

Thanks again.

#4 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Isn't it about time you got a little more LV in your life?

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

There's always the first wave in a problem where something can be disseminating but not yet caught.

But actually bufferchm.msi shows up in a whole bunch of HP drivers.  The cab file shows up on my machine as well when I searched for it.  I think it traced back to when I DLed drivers for my HP all-in-one.

Most likely it's OK.

Edited by LaughingVulcan, 27 August 2007 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users