Child Birth 2007

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

FREEPORT, Texas (AP) - When the cook on his shrimp boat went into labor 30 miles offshore, captain Ed Keisel grabbed a new roll of paper towels and a first aid handbook and did the best he could.

He successfully delivered Cindy Preisel's baby boy, even though the baby's feet emerged first.

"I'm no doctor, but even I knew that's not supposed to happen," Keisel said.

"I reached with my fingers... as gently as I could and popped out his left shoulder and then his right," he said. "But then the little guy was stuck by his head, being strangled. So I did the only thing I could - I waited for a contraction and then slid my fingers in around the top of his head and scooped him out."

But the newborn wasn't breathing, so Keisel gently administered CPR.

"I started giving mouth-to-mouth, three short puffs, and then thumping and rubbing its back," he said.

The baby began to take short breaths, and after 20 to 25 minutes of CPR, gulped in air. His lips turned rosy and he started crying.

http://apnews.excite.../D8RB9CJ80.html

The baby wasn't due until mid-September.

I won't even spoil this by asking what she was doing out on a boat this close to term.

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:12 PM

^Working, I would guess. She's their cook, after all. ;)

We have a staff member who was five days overdue with her first baby before she finally gave up and stayed home a couple of days ago. And now she's a week overdue. Pregnancy is not illness, and lots of women work late into their term (and I swear, they work a lot later into their term in education than I generally ever saw a woman work in business. Dunno why.)
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:36 PM

I have a co-worker who's been out at least a week though and still hasn't had the baby.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#4 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:07 AM

I don't know about shrimp boats, but around here, fishing boats are out for weeks at a time. Maybe a shimp boat is different. It's one thing to work at an office, where you drive home each night at the end of the day and hospitals are not too far off. This boat was only 30 miles offshore; I don't know how far they get during most of their runs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Child Birth, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users