22 replies to this topic

#21 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 05:47 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jun 16 2003, 05:16 AM, said:

You're not taking into consideration a "designated Driver" A designated driver could be driving some friends, who might be drunk, and drinking. As long as the designated driver isn't drinking, it really shouldn't be a problem having a open container in the car...IMO
But how would you know if someone was drinking as they drove, and then just handed the alcohol to whoever they were driving with?

And for Rov's comment earlier about the difference between chugging a beer and then driving vs drinking and driving - if you chug a beer and go on the road, it's illegal because your blood alcohol will be too high.  Depending on the state laws about how much alcohol is allowed in your blood, how big you are, and how fast you metabolize your alcohol, it takes roughly an hour after a beer before you're legal to drive.  So either way if you get pulled over and the cop suspects alcohol, youre screwed.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#22 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 05:59 PM

Delvo, on Jun 14 2003, 09:42 PM, said:

The former is done. The amount of alcohol in you is not going to go higher; in the short term it's fixed, and in the long term it'll go down. If it's not above the legal limit yet, it's not going to be.
Rhys-- Thanks for the clarification. It seems they're about the same then.

Delvo-- Which means that drinking one beer while driving is no worse than drinking one beer *before* driving. It's not that somebody can't put down alcohol, it's just that I don't see why they should choose to.I do see your point about alcoholics, but they presumably won't stop below the legal limit.

Nik--  Hey, if they're above the legal limit, then book 'em. I'm just failing to understand how the same amoutn of alcohol becomes inherently more dangerous if it's consumed while driving, instead of just before, assuming the blood alcohol levels are the same.

Let's play the numbers game:

I think .08 is a pretty standard legal limit for blood alcohol. If it's not, let's just pretend it is. ;).

I'd, personally, rather have somebody who's drinking currently that has a .02 BAC, then somebody that's not currently drinking who has a .04...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#23 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 04:48 AM

Nikcara, on Jun 16 2003, 02:48 AM, said:

But how would you know if someone was drinking as they drove, and then just handed the alcohol to whoever they were driving with?
By a breathalizer.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alcohol, Driving, Montana

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users