Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Riots in Michigan?

Michigan Racial Profiling Riots

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 10:07 AM

Sorry to resurrect this again...

I'm just curious about this police chase issue.   On the one hand, I don't think that people should be running away from the police. On the other hand, sometimes I think that police carry their authority a bit too far.  It bugs me, for instance, to watch police put sirens up long enough to run a red light while they are cruising and shooting the breeze.  And I have had the misfortune of having to call the police to deal with a situation, and instead of simply assisting me in keeping the peace while resolving a matter, they showed up bullying, practically pushed me out of the way (as if to say if you called us, then WE'RE in charge), and nearly instigated a much worse incident than the one I was trying to prevent.

My question is where do we draw the line?  We put a lot of restraint on police on purpose.  We want police to be limited in their powers - we want our right to live free.  At the same time we want them to be able to do their job.

Sorry - I realize this is slightly off topic, but the tenor of the discussion just made me reflect on the uncomfortable balance we try to strike with the police force...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#22 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:20 PM

QueenTiye, on Jun 22 2003, 07:08 PM, said:

Sorry to resurrect this again...

I'm just curious about this police chase issue.   On the one hand, I don't think that people should be running away from the police. On the other hand, sometimes I think that police carry their authority a bit too far.  It bugs me, for instance, to watch police put sirens up long enough to run a red light while they are cruising and shooting the breeze.  And I have had the misfortune of having to call the police to deal with a situation, and instead of simply assisting me in keeping the peace while resolving a matter, they showed up bullying, practically pushed me out of the way (as if to say if you called us, then WE'RE in charge), and nearly instigated a much worse incident than the one I was trying to prevent.

My question is where do we draw the line?  We put a lot of restraint on police on purpose.  We want police to be limited in their powers - we want our right to live free.  At the same time we want them to be able to do their job.

Sorry - I realize this is slightly off topic, but the tenor of the discussion just made me reflect on the uncomfortable balance we try to strike with the police force...

QT
IMO, anyone foolish enough to attempt to outrun the police deserves what he gets. Hell, you might have a car quick enough to out run the cop car, but you simply can't out run his radio. That's just the way it is, so there really is no use in trying. It's simple common sense IMO.

As for your other point.

Some cops do let the power go to their heads, and think they are all that. It's usually this type of cop who I, more often then not, wind up butting heads with.

I've had cops who have arrived on scene to try and "calm" arguements down...only to have them make it worse. One cop even went so far as to try and grab my arm. "I warned him if he did so that I would consider it a attack, and since I hadn't broken any laws, I would defend myself."

And do you believe that cop still was about to try. Luckily another officer, who had way more common sense, stepped in and asked me to walk with him and tell my side. In the end, no charges were filed, and the dispute was "defused" And, IMO, is was to the second cop. The one who at least talked to us like a person.

If it had just been the first cop, god only knows what would've happened.

As to where do we draw the line? I think the line is fairly well drawn. Only thing we can do is perhaps insist on better training for the officers, so they know how to handle domestic calls better.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#23 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:23 PM

What's the problem? Riots and looting are just people expressing their freedom! At least, that's what Rumsfeld and Fleischer said when it happened in Baghdad. Well, maybe it is a little "untidy," but still...

Zack, you're evil. Let me congratulate you. :devil: :wideeyed:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#24 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 09:09 PM

I'd riot if I lived in Michigan, too.

#25 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 10:32 AM

QT: On the other hand, sometimes I think that police carry their authority a bit too far. It bugs me, for instance, to watch police put sirens up long enough to run a red light while they are cruising and shooting the breeze.

It depends a lot on the department.  In my experience you can run into some serious prima donnas when you deal with some small county sheriff departments or town police.  On the other hand Iíve rarely heard anyone talk bad about the NYSP and if anything most everyone praises them for the professional job they do.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Michigan, Racial Profiling, Riots

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users