#1 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

http://www.cnn.com/v....transplant.cnn

I think i'm feeling vaguely nauseous

and i'm glad taht stuff is banned in the EU for meat. Sure, i know about pink lights and dyes..but two yeras out of date. EWWW
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

I'm not able to access the video right now. However, I think one question should be answered before people rush to condemn all meat in the U.S.: is this an isolated occurrence or is there evidence that it is widespread?

Also, I guess you won't be eating meat in the U.K. either.

I usually buy frozen meat just because I'm single and if I bought a package of unfrozen meat most of it would go bad before I ate it. I suppose I could freeze it myself, but the companies' methods of freezing meat tend to do a better job preserving taste and texture.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#3 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

View PostSolar Wind, on Nov 14 2007, 06:18 PM, said:

I'm not able to access the video right now. However, I think one question should be answered before people rush to condemn all meat in the U.S.: is this an isolated occurrence or is there evidence that it is widespread?

I usually buy frozen meat just because I'm single and if I bought a package of unfrozen meat most of it would go bad before I ate it. I suppose I could freeze it myself, but the companies' methods of freezing meat tend to do a better job preserving taste and texture.
there is a difference between an instance and an industry wide practice. The one about the US is an industry wide practice.

And to be honest, lately i've been really off meat anyway.

#4 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

View PostChaddee, on Nov 14 2007, 06:20 PM, said:

View PostSolar Wind, on Nov 14 2007, 06:18 PM, said:

there is a difference between an instance and an industry wide practice. The one about the US is an industry wide practice.

And to be honest, lately i've been really off meat anyway.

that article is also dated may?

#5 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

That link is to an organ transplant story. You have to scroll down to find the meat story. But, yes, this is pretty disgusting. Why do I live here again? :wacko:

#6 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

I saw a report on that on the news this morning, and had to laugh.  They're telling us that it's okay to fill the meat up with dyes and stuff, because if it gets rotten, it'll still stink, and then we'll know it's bad!  So, we're still safeguarded.   Hooray!

No need for regulations on beef... if it's rotten and people get sick from it, it won't sell, and the market will sort it all out.  The market is god!  :sarcasm:

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#7 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

Okay, I was able to access the video. The video didn't say whether the two-year old meat was being sold in a grocery store so given the media's penchant for sensationalism, I'm going to assume that the meat was not on the shelf for sale. Rather, the two-year old meat was meat that someone was using to demonstrate that spoiled meat could look okay too eat.

Zwolf, as I understand it, they use carbon monoxide, not dye. Also, there's a "sell by" date on the meat packages, and they'd get in trouble if it was found to be dated incorrectly.

But, hey, the word's out. If consumers object sufficiently to this practice, they'll stop buying meat that's been treated with carbon monoxide, and the meat companies will get the message.

Edited by Solar Wind, 14 November 2007 - 02:10 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:

#8 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

yes and as they said on the video, the dates are nigh on impossible to read if you have any eye problem - the woman with glasses couldn't read it!

and consider this getting hte word out then.

#9 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

I've had no problems buying fresh meat in a grocery store (even Wal-Mart) when its eaten by they "sell by" date. In addition, this is nothing new. The TV news stations in Los Angeles love doing these "Gothca!" stings, and at least once a year they run one on meat in grocery stores. They've shown them re-packaging meat, re-grinding it up with fresh meat, and all sorts of other stuff. I've still never gotten sick. You just take note which grocery chains failed the sting, and move on.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#10 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

View PostChaddee, on Nov 14 2007, 01:52 PM, said:

yes and as they said on the video, the dates are nigh on impossible to read if you have any eye problem - the woman with glasses couldn't read it!

People with an eye problem could use a magnifying glass or ask someone for help. Or not buy red meat if they're worried about it.

Edited by Solar Wind, 14 November 2007 - 02:00 PM.

FKA:

#11 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

right..ast here is always so much shop staff walking around happy to help old pensioners.
Heck, i've written letters for mum when she's been duped that way too. Why should they add ten-20 minutes to their shopping trip for hte sake of decent labelling, if they can find someone?

Why shouldn't it just be properly labelled then?

#12 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

Chaddee said:

Why shouldn't it just be properly labelled then?

It is properly labeled. People with decent vision can read the sell-by date plain as day, and those with bad vision problems can use magnifying glasses.

FKA:

#13 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

that's a bit unfair towards a rather large percentage of the population, don't you think? I'm glad you obviously can -  but what's the harm in proper labels? Does a large sell by date exclude anyone? No.

Does a small one? Yes.

That seems rather to decide the issue to me. I don't see the sense in penalising those who are already penalised by bad eyesight.

#14 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

It's the same size as the use by dates on every other bit of packaging.  I had a check tonight while grocery shopping at my local Tescos.  In fact, it was bigger on some things.

If people can't see use by dates in stores then they won't be able to see them at home and are just as likely to give themselves food poisoning.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#15 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

Also: How old do you think the meat is in any given product of canned spaghetti and meatballs, or canned chilli with ground up meat? I mean, its Grade "F" to begin with, so its not spectacular out of the starting gate. Then its bought at a discount because of bulk. It goes to the processing facility, then another, then gets put into the food and then canned. The cans then sit in a warehouse somewhere, then get shipped off to the store, and sit on the shelves for god knows how long. Then you by them, and it sits in your cupboard till you eat it. I've had stuff sit six to nine months before I got around to eating them.

Yes, the canning process kills most of the bad stuff. However, that doesn't mean that it still can't go bad, or that there was something so nasty in it that the canning process can't kill.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#16 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:25 AM

I am very nearsighted, and yeah my classes don't correct all the way. I don't know what size font they use in California but here in Texas it is big enough even for me to read.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#17 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

View PostChaddee, on Nov 14 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

http://www.cnn.com/v....transplant.cnn

I think i'm feeling vaguely nauseous

and i'm glad taht stuff is banned in the EU for meat. Sure, i know about pink lights and dyes..but two yeras out of date. EWWW

Oh come on, it'll put hair on your chest!
Posted Image

#18 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:18 AM

I have a live cow in the basement I've been slowly stripping the flesh off of. That way I know my meat is always fresh.

#19 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:39 PM

Oh, really? And what's that bicycle in the basement for?

#20 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:48 AM

cycling, of course.  *grins*

what else could it possibly be for, oh Orph? after all, tis not like you can do anythign like...I dunno...have sex with a bike..right?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, Meat, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users