5 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:18 AM

http://story.news.ya...l_qaida_plea_21

WASHINGTON - An Ohio truck driver who met Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) and admitted plots against trains and the Brooklyn Bridge has pleaded guilty to felony charges and is cooperating in the investigation of al-Qaida, federal authorities said Thursday.

Iyman Faris, 34, of Columbus acknowledged in court documents that he met bin Laden in 2000 at an al-Qaida training camp in Afghanistan (news - web sites) and provided operatives there with sleeping bags, cell phones and other assistance.

Later, Faris received attack instructions from top terror leader Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, authorities said, for what they suggested might have been a second wave planned for New York and Washington to follow the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:31 AM

Big news everywhere.

I was going to post something myself.

This is proof that we must remain vigiliant against domestic threats. It's definitely a credit to our reaction that the second wave to 9/11 has thus far been prevented, at least on our own soil.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:36 AM

I sense a television series, especially if it turns out he was framed and ends up travelling the country in his truck with a chimpanzee sidekick, fighting crime, helping the downtrodden, and giving some lovin' to chastely-clad women.

We can call it...Iyman and the Bear.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:37 AM

:lol:
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:41 AM

MuseZack, on Jun 19 2003, 08:37 PM, said:

I sense a television series, especially if it turns out he was framed and ends up travelling the country in his truck with a chimpanzee sidekick, fighting crime, helping the downtrodden, and giving some lovin' to chastely-clad women.

We can call it...Iyman and the Bear.
And best of all he doesn't have to pay, property tax. :lol:  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:00 PM

This is proof that we must remain vigiliant against domestic threats.

Yes, but I'll say that I get utter creeps walking into one of my favorite libraries and seeing a sign (sign o' the times) about how they have a legal requirement to comply with the USA Patriot Act. *shiver*

Vigilance is fine, as long as it's used with reason and gets guys like this. I just know how paranoiac and toe-the-party-line-or-you're-unAmerican people can get, and that's why I fear these powers. How wonderful it is that I have to justify having that opinion, too.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ohio, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users