• This topic is locked This topic is locked
220 replies to this topic

#1 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

Snow blanketed Trance City and transformed the glistening city into a snow globe. LoP stared out the window and found himself mesmerized by the snow falling. On the planet he had grown up, it snowed several times every year and he still enjoyed watching it fall. It made the city so peaceful and quiet. He watched lights from a ground vehicle cut through the falling snow and turn into the Command Complex. That would be Celeste, his third in command arriving early as usual. The rest of the command staff wouldn’t be arriving for an hour or so, except James who was inspecting his security team.

He touched his desktop comm. spoke as a thought crossed his mind

Trance, what is the Earth month?

A holo of Trance materialized by his desk, her tail flicking back and forth as see grinned at LoP.

Good morning, Boss! This month is December on Earth.

LoP cringed at the AI's bouncy personality. EnTranced had design and programmed the AI when he had been in command of the Trancers and he had liked the bouncing. One day he might try to reprogram her, but he didn't want her personality destroyed so he problably wouldn't.

Isn't there something important about this month on Earth? The snow reminds me of something, but I don't remember what.

The humans have a holiday called Christmas they celebrate this time of the year. I think it is some kind of winter festival and revolves around a mythical creature called Santy Claws. I can check out more details if you would like?

No, that's okay Trance. Thank you. It just crossed my mind that something big was celebrated on Earth, I just couldn't remember what. I'm not even sure why it came up. You may go, before Celeste gets here. You seem to upset her more early in the morning.

Trance vanished as quickly as she had arrived. LoP leaned back in his chair and wondered why an Earth holiday would pop into his head. Every planet he had been on celebrated some kind of winter holiday, but Earth's seemed to be the most popular, several other planets had copied it now that he remembered. On Kroyous they celebrated in the same month as Earth but it was called the Festival of the Winter Rose. The purple rose, which was found no where else in the known galaxy, grew year round on Kroyous and in winter they bloomed fresh. It was often seen growing up through the snow, its' bright purple flower standing out against the white snow. It just made sense to celebrate the winter version of the flower.

LoP looked toward downtown and knew that soon people would be shopping for gifts to give, food to eat and flowers to decorate with. He turned back to his desk and activated the computer screen. He typed in Christmas and began to read about the Earth holiday. He smiled to himself as he read how humans celebrated; many of their ideas would be great to bring to Kroyous. He was so engrossed in what he found that he didn't hear Celeste walk in and give him a quizzical look.

Edited by Lover of Purple, 03 December 2007 - 02:52 PM.

#2 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:43 AM

Celeste walked into the presidents office grumbling

"Snow snow snow - it's wet, it's cold, it makes driving hazardous, it's cold....and the people, all those people, all shopping, what is the fascination with shopping?..

When she got no response to her grumbling she walked over to LoP's desk...he was staring at his computer screen and smiling

"Boss? what are you doing boss? what's making you smile....you're planning something aren't you...please tell me it has nothing to do with snow or gifts"

#3 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

LoP read one more sentence and looked up at Celeste grinning.

Scrooge? He grinned wider at her puzzled look. He is a character in a story who hated the holiday known on Earth as Christmas. I'm loading the story on a disc to read later, it sounds interesting.

The computer beeped and spit out a small disc. LoP touched the screen and another disc popped out. He handed it to Celeste

I think you might enjoy this. So, I take it you don't like holidays?

Edited by Lover of Purple, 28 November 2007 - 12:03 PM.

#4 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

Celeste took the disc and put it in her pocket

Thanks...I think...as for holidays....I never....she sighed....as a child all holidays meant were spending more time with my family and that was never a good thing, Erica and I used to dread the holidays, although even back then she enjoyed the shopping... since I've been here I've learnt to tolerate them, much like I tolerate Trance...I don't think I'll ever like them..I don't understand them...why do people feel the need to exchange gifts on a specific day? why do they need to eat so much? and shop and shop and shop.....I just don't get it LoP and as for the snow, don't get me started on that - it causes chaos and what's with the snowtrancers I see popping up everywhere...making a likeness out of snow, giving it a silly nose...what is that all about?

She took a deep breath and sat down.

Holidays are exhausting!

#5 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

LoP smiled and nodded.

Yes, they can be exhausting. On that I agree, but it can be a good exhausting feeling. I think holidays allow people to escape reality for a little while, something to brighten their lives. They play more and feel they have an excuse to do so. That is what the snowmen, those likenesses out of snow, are for, just fun. Same thing with what is called a snowball fight. Remind me to show you how that one works sometime.

My only problem with holidays is that they remind me of my lost family and friends, but I also find time to honor their memory by being generous to my current friends and enjoy their company. It helps that Kroyous expects the command staff to join in so it feels like family and At Celeste's expression he stopped.....oh, did I forget to tell you that we will  all be part of the festivities?

Edited by Lover of Purple, 28 November 2007 - 12:31 PM.

#6 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

"did I forget to tell you that we will all be part of the festivities?

Celeste paled

"You have to be kidding...she narrowed her eyes and glared at LoP....exactly what kind of festivities are we talking about....if you expect me to dress up and be jolly you can forget it....she shook her head.......no way Boss...absolutely no way....then she smiled, she was thinking about Herk ......on second thoughts....I might be persuaded to enter into the spirit......

Herk peered around the tree...he was directly behind Suki.....he picked up some snow and formed it into a ball like he had seen the children doing......he smiled and threw it at his beloved mate

Si-Vanna blinked and wiggled her long pointed ears...she squealed with delight and began dancing in the snow....this was her first trip to the land of the Trancers, her first time in charge of the naughty or nice list....she hoped that the trancer children would be added to the nice list...she stuck her tongue out and giggled as the snowdrops landed on it...she watched the people in the distance throwing snow at one another and suddenly remembered....she wasn't supposed to be seen....at least not as she truly was.....she ran into the trees and pulled on her disguise....once the hat was firmly wedged over her ears she breathed a sigh of relief

Edited by Raeven, 28 November 2007 - 01:48 PM.

#7 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

Samantha was on her way to LoP's office. The Terran system celebrated several ancient Earth holidays, Christmas (more commonly known on Terra as X-mas) being one of them. She noticed a holiday buzz in the air, and wanted to ask LoP if it would be celebrated, how it would be celebrated, and how she could contribute. When she reached his office she knocked on the door.

#8 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:00 PM

The small ship had landed with several hard jolts and came to rest on the snowy ground between an opening  in the thick trees. The lights twinkling off the surface of the ship--which resembled a crystal rock--were dim as the ship's power supply shut down all but the life support in order to preserve power. No bigger than a large sized personal transporter vehicle, the ship barely blended in with the surrounding rocks and boulders scattered throughout the forest.

Mia slowly opened her green eyes and blinked. She raised her head slightly and shook it to clear the confusion, then climbed to her feet. She had to sit down for a moment in a wave of dizziness. The blow to her head that had knocked her out also left a small cut above one ear, the blood having become slightly matted and stiff.

Once she was feeling up to it, Mia activated the hatch and stood on the edge of the opening gazing out onto the whiteness that enveloped everything around her. The readings that were frozen on the control console indicated no immediate dangers on this planet. She sniffed deeply but daintily, relieved to find the white substance was snow. Just like on her own homeworld from which Mia had narrowly escaped.

Leaping gracefully from the ship onto the snow, front paws hitting first then her back paws, Mia turned around and watched the ship’s hatch close behind her. Her ship would be safe until she could return…hopefully with help to repair it.

With her white tail held down and curved—not quite happy but also not afraid—the white cat with the light brown ears began to pad silently through the snow. She sensed civilization not far away and headed in that direction. It wasn’t long before she came upon a short humanoid figure hiding in the trees with a hat on.

Mia thought a moment, studied the figure ahead, then plopped down on her hindquarters.

“Miaow!” she said loudly, announcing her presence. Then she licked one paw and swiped it over the dried blood on her ear.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 28 November 2007 - 05:50 PM.

#9 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,734 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:35 PM

Karmen walked up to LoP's office with a slight bounce to her step. It would be the Christmas season back on Earth and it looked like they would celebrate something similar here on Kroyous. The roses blooming purple against the white snow were so beautiful that she was tempted to pick one, but that would spoil its beauty, so she left it alone. She was happier now than she had been on Earth with Alan, his attitude about the holidays always put a damper on her spirits as well, but since he was in prison and not able to affect her, she was incredibly happy for once.

"Hello, Samantha." She said as she opened LoP's office door. She heard part of the exchange going on inside and grinned. "Leave it to Celeste to be our resident Scrooge." She said with a grin.

#10 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:03 AM

Celeste looked at Karmen and stuck her tongue out

"I am not a Scrooge...I don't understand earth traditions and Christmas, I haven't read the story yet....besides this Scrooge person was a male and I am not male....she looked from LoP to Karmen to Samantha....ok, ok, you all like holidays, I don't.....or I haven't up to this point in my life.....I'm Nietszchean, cut me some slack, I'm logical and cold and distant and she growled and bared her teeth and scary......she laughed......help me understand, help me enjoy the holidays"

Miaow

Si-Vanna looked down and clapped her hands together with glee when she saw a white cat with the brown ears sitting in the snow.

"Hello Kitty....you're beautiful and so cute....she knelt down in the snow and stroked the cat, running her hands through the soft white fur...she noticed a spot of dried blood on the cats ear...did someone hurt you? If they did, they are definitely going on the naughty list"

#11 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:45 AM

Mia purred as she was stroked--she felt she could trust the one in front of her. She felt safe with this short person and wondered if these were the native peoples of this planet. Once she found out more Mia would try to ask for some sort of help. In the meantime it was wise to wait and see what else this planet had to offer. If they were technologically backwards then she'd have to be more careful.

When she was asked if someone hurt her Mia shook her head no and took another lick and swipe at her paw.

Then she looked back up at the one in front of her and maiowed again. Suddenly there were noises of laughter from a distance, and Mia's ears perked up straight and facing forward. Mia stood and padded over to where footprints showed someone small had been standing earlier, and she looked down to see children throwing snowballs at each other near a city. She turned with eyes bright toward her new friend and maiowed again. She walked around in circles excitedly.

#12 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:04 AM

Si-Vanna was not at all surprised when the cat shook its head, she was an elf, she worked for Santa, the thought of a cat understanding human speech did not strike her as strange at all...she took off her hat and ran her fingers through her short, white spiky hair while she watched the cat walk around in circles.....putting her hat back on she laughed

Do you want to have a snowball fight? or do you want to go to the city? I should head for the city, I have work to do, but playing is fun....

she stood up and brushed the snow of her knees

Sorry....I should ask one question and wait for an answer...unless you can talk..are you a talking cat? Santa had a cat that could talk, the reindeer got jealous though so Mary, that was Santas cook gave the cat away...."Reindeer are more important than cats Si, you don't see no cats pulling his lordships sleigh do you?" I liked the cat, Mary said she went to a good home, one with lots of nice children....I hope she's happy.

#13 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,734 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:09 AM

"Technically, a Scrooge is someone who takes no joy in the holidays-male or female. But they're also anyone who likes to hold onto his money with an iron fist and spend as little of it as he possibly can-as Scrooge did-he loved money so much he hoarded it." Karmen said, winking at Erica. "They can almost suck the joy right out of a joyful person sometimes.  Read the story when you have time, it's a good one."

She walked into the office and over to the window and looked at the purple roses again. "I've never seen them looking prettier." She said.

#14 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:53 AM

Mia watched curiously as the person in front of her pulled off her hat and revealed pointy ears! Almost like Mai's but longer. And her name was Si apparently. The young white cat inclined her head to one side and flicked her tail back and forth in the snow. At the mention of going to the city Mia rose and bounded back to Si and entwined herself around her legs one time.

Mia wasn't really completely grown, and her curiosity started to get the better of her--which was part of the reason she'd had to flee in the first place. She began to wonder who this Santa person was...apparently the leader of Si's people since he was a lord. Perhaps this Santa was here somewhere...but she'd have to be careful, Mia thought. If Santa had given away a cat, then he might not be too helpful to her. She also wanted to ask what a reindeer was, but that would have to wait.

She'd noticed that some of the children playing in the snow were purple with tails. Were they cats, too...some form of feline. Oh, Mia had so many questions for Si! Should she reveal herself? One test would tell her...only those with true good in them could "understand" Mia if she chose to "speak".

Mia sat down in front of Si and looked up. *Mia...hi* she thought to her and raised one paw as if to wave. She could only think basic thoughts to those outside of her race.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 29 November 2007 - 07:10 AM.

#15 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

Si-Vanna looked down and smiled……

you are a talking cat, I knew it ......Mia…that’s a pretty name, I am Si-Vanna, but everyone calls me Si, well not everyone, but most everyone…..shall we go to the city together Mia?

#16 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:33 AM

*Nice meet you, Si* Mia replied excitedly. Then she bounded forward through the sparkling snow and waited patiently for Si to start walking with her--to take her to the city.  She was thrilled that her new friend could understand her. She rowred loudly, her white body quivering with anticipation.

The white cat had so many questions for Si that she grew slightly frustrated inside. There was no way Mia would be able to ask everything she wanted--it would take too long and she wouldn't be able to communicate all the words effectively.

There was only one thing to do as they walked...

Mia suddenly began to change. The white cat form began to stretch and grow, the features changing...the paws changing...even the tail disappearing...until next to Si walked what appeared to be a thirteen year old girl with light brown hair, bright green and slightly almond shaped eyes, and dressed all in white from her boots to her pants to her slim coat with the fur trim around the hood. Even her mittens were white with fur trim.

"Hello, Si," Mia said again with a mischievous smile, now looking down at her new friend.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 29 November 2007 - 08:34 AM.

#17 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:47 AM

Si followed Mia through the snow....she was glad that she had someone to accompany her to the city, even if that someone was a talking cat....she started singing a song her father had sung to her when she was a elflet....

Where it's snowing
All winter through
That's where I want to be
Snowball throwing
That's what I'll do.......

she stopped and stared as her new friend began to change.....she looked up at the girl dressed in white and smiled

"Cool, I didn't know talking cats could do that......but now you're taller than me, everyone is always taller than me, it was nice to have friend smaller than me.....and your tail, it's gone, that's a shame, they like tails here, the ....a clipboard materialised in front of her.....Trancers, that's the people who live here, they have tails....so tell me Mia, what are you doing on the Trance planet? I'm making lists, that's what I do, two lists, one for the naughty children and one for the nice children, if you're not busy doing anything else you could help me....do you want to help me?

#18 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:12 AM

Mia laughed in relief at Si's acceptance. "Well, we're not all cats," she replied. "But all the mages where I come from can change from an animal to their other form. I can be smaller again in a bit, though," she said, "I like being a cat!"

She peered down at the clipboard as it appeared out of nowhere. "Trancers? That's what the purple people are called? I like their tails, but you're not a Trancer, then, Si? What are you?  As for me...I crashed here. From far away...I was trying to escape and was sucked into a rip in time. It wasn't pleasant! I'm hoping your Lord Santa might be able to help me...is he here?"

Then Mia found she didn't want to think too much about that right now. It really was beautiful here on the Trancer planet, and Si was in such a good mood. There must be something going on...she could feel it in the air. Her attention span was sometimes not as long as it should be. Although she appeared young in appearance, Mia was actually much older as her kind lived a very long time.

"And what's a naughty and nice list anyway? What's going on here? I'd love to help...what do I need to do?"

#19 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

Mrs. Clause stepped off the shuttle and looked around the busy spaceport. Creatures from several worlds seemed to be everywhere and all seemed to get along on this planet so getting directions to the person she had to see should be easy. She also hoped that the elves had arrived safely since they had traveled by a different method, they had agreed to travel seperately in case anything should happen. Their mission was too important to take a chance like traveling together, even though right now she would have liked to have Si by her side. Worry for her husband pushed her onward even though she has seldom left the North Pole of Earth.

She stopped to talk to a purple creature dressed in some kind of uniform.

Excuse me, could you direct me to where I can find your leaders?

Pring looked the human up and down and smiled, he liked her immediately for some reason.

"Well, Ma'am it isn't far. Let me get a transport to take you there."

Thank you young man.

Pring smiled wondering what this lady would think if she knew his real age, never realizing he would be more surprised to know hers.

"Glad to help."

A sleek ground vehicle pulled up at Pring's waving and the rear door hissed open.

"Please take this lady to the Command Center."

The cabbie nodded as Mrs. Clause settled into the comfortable seat and the door hissed closed. The vehicle smoothly entered the busy traffic and accelerated toward the purple command center in the distance.

#20 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:01 AM

Tioki sat sprawled across the sofa at the house she shared with Daveed in Trance City. She had been delighted when he'd finally come home. And now the birth of her twins wasn't far away. She continued her JMT exercises but spent most of her time at home nowadays. The Tyrancer glanced out at the snow-covered city out of the window and smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suki squealed in surprise when a well-aimed snowball caught her in the back. She wheeled around to see Herk and laughed. "You're gonna get it now." She said playfully and grabbed a snowball of her own. With android precision she lobbed it back at him.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users