#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:45 AM

I totally support this action:

http://www.sfgate.co...19/MN127207.DTL

Sacramento -- A consumer group's unorthodox response to losing an Assembly vote on a financial privacy bill became a rallying point Wednesday for some lawmakers who hope to crack down on aggressive lobbying, which some say is "over the top. "

The latest episode to anger legislators was a decision by the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights to post on the Internet partial Social Security numbers of lawmakers who did not support the latest attempt to increase protections on personal financial information.

Jamie Court, the executive director of the consumer protection group, said the organization was not seeking to influence the vote, noting that the numbers were posted after the bill was defeated. He also said that only the first four numbers were released rather than the full nine.

"We're trying to demonstrate how vulnerable everyone's privacy is, and it's simply a public education message," he said.

The actions of the lobbying group *prove* how vulnerable we all are. I'm deeply amused.

Thoughts?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:13 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 19 2003, 05:46 PM, said:

I totally support this action:

http://www.sfgate.co...19/MN127207.DTL

Sacramento -- A consumer group's unorthodox response to losing an Assembly vote on a financial privacy bill became a rallying point Wednesday for some lawmakers who hope to crack down on aggressive lobbying, which some say is "over the top. "

The latest episode to anger legislators was a decision by the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights to post on the Internet partial Social Security numbers of lawmakers who did not support the latest attempt to increase protections on personal financial information.

Jamie Court, the executive director of the consumer protection group, said the organization was not seeking to influence the vote, noting that the numbers were posted after the bill was defeated. He also said that only the first four numbers were released rather than the full nine.

"We're trying to demonstrate how vulnerable everyone's privacy is, and it's simply a public education message," he said.

The actions of the lobbying group *prove* how vulnerable we all are. I'm deeply amused.

Thoughts?
I *loved* this. The state has been dragging their heels on the privacy laws for too long.  That's what I call "show, not tell." And they waited till after the measure had died to publish the numbers.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:30 PM

So what are the political folks suppose to do give them what they want? I think this is a federal crime and if  it is I hope the SOB's get the max sentence they can explain privacy to the big mean guy who wants to use him as his new wife.

Edited by G1223, 20 June 2003 - 12:31 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:34 PM

:D Rhea

G-- The whole point of the protest is that it *isn't* illegal.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:54 PM

Sorry it sounds like sour grapes at losing their item for vote.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#6 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 04:41 AM

All of this just points out (at least to me) that we need to get rid of lobbyists AND full time legislators.

Also these legislators that we do have, need to get off their backsides and DO THEIR JOBS! We need a budget, we need to fix the deficit from last year and there is a HUGE need for privacy protection in this state. I don't expect much of anything from any of them. :angry:

We are, after all, talking about the state that had such secure computer systems  :sarcasm:  that some low-level hackers got in and downloaded the private info on all state employees. Of course, no one told the state employees .. that would have been embarrasing.  :angry:

--kimmer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Privacy, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users