47 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

Teenage Birth Rate Rises for First Time Since ’91

WASHINGTON, Dec. 5 — The birth rate among teenagers 15 to 19 in the United States rose 3 percent in 2006, according to a report issued Wednesday, the first such increase since 1991. The finding surprised scholars and fueled a debate about whether the Bush administration’s abstinence-only sexual education efforts are working.

The federal government spends $176 million annually on such programs. But a landmark study recently failed to demonstrate that they have any effect on delaying sexual activity among teenagers, and some studies suggest that they may actually increase pregnancy rates.

“Spending tens of million of tax dollars each year on programs that hurt our children is bad medicine and bad public policy,” said Dr. David A. Grimes, vice president of Family Health International, a nonprofit reproductive health organization based in North Carolina....
Little girls Bushwhacked by bad information.   :angry:

:headshake:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:13 AM

Agreed. Abstinence promotion without education on birth control and the like only leads to kids growing up ignorant. I can't see how letting kids know what's out there would make them all sluts or whatever. Knowing there are murderers doesn't make most kids think, "hey, I should do that!" Same with drugs, alcohol, etc. The more kids know, the better prepared they are to make informed decisions about things that will inevitably occur in their lives.

But whatev. If I have kids, I'll probably make the same moronic mistakes as everyone else, so I'll throw no stones.

Edited by Annibal, 06 December 2007 - 10:14 AM.

"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#3 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

View PostAnnibal, on Dec 6 2007, 03:13 PM, said:

But whatev. If I have kids, I'll probably make the same moronic mistakes as everyone else, so I'll throw no stones.

But there's a difference between making your own mistakes and saying that the government should be doing all the education.

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

Shockingly, everybody blames what they disliked anyway instead of looking for empirical evidence.

Example:

Robert Rector, a senior research fellow with the Heritage Foundation, said that blaming abstinence-only programs was “stupid.” Mr. Rector said that most young women who became pregnant were highly educated about contraceptives but wanted to have babies.

But recent advances in AIDS treatments have lowered concerns about the disease, and AIDS education efforts, which emphasized abstinence and condom use, have flagged.

Perhaps as a result, teenage sex rates have risen since 2001 and condom use has dropped since 2003.

“Spending tens of million of tax dollars each year on programs that hurt our children is bad medicine and bad public policy,” said Dr. David A. Grimes, vice president of Family Health International, a nonprofit reproductive health organization based in North Carolina.

Okay. So, is the incrase driven by a decrease in fear of AIDS, a genuine desire among teenagers to have babies early, or are they truly unaware of how to use contraception? That's an empirical, not ideological, question. Would it kill the NY Times (or somebody) to hire Gallup to run a survey of the sample and ask? Each one of those causes calls for very different solutions.

Edited by Juris Rovvius, 06 December 2007 - 11:45 AM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

Generally, I think abstinence-only sex ed leads to teenagers saying "we won't have sex, we'll wait", then they end up having sex anyway. Then, since they didn't think they were going to have sex, they aren't prepared and don't have a condom to hand. I can also imagine use of contraception having something to do with it, since if they're only been taught abstinence, they won't know how to use it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#6 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:08 PM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Dec 6 2007, 08:45 AM, said:

Would it kill the NY Times (or somebody) to hire Gallup to run a survey of the sample and ask? Each one of those causes calls for very different solutions.

It might not kill them, but I've heard erectile dysfunction can be a serious side effect.  :p

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:19 PM

Teenagers will have sex*, and there's no point in telling them not to. You've just got to teach them how to do it safely.

* Not all, obviously.
Posted Image

#8 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

please...."safe sex" education didn't teach stupid teens not to do it....so don't blame abstinence only education for it.  put the blame where it belongs--on the PARENTS.

my parents taught me better--and :gasp!: i made it all the way through high school without sleeping around (or sleeping with ANYONE, for you picky people :rolleyes:).  the problem is parents who don't teach their children that sleeping around is NOT appropriate.  if mine were able to do it, so can others.

but i know--that's too HARD in today's world...so it's more convenient to blame the schools and anyone who directs them instead.

Edited by Cheile, 06 December 2007 - 04:31 PM.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#9 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

I'd imagine it's painful to birth a teenager.

#10 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

View PostCheile, on Dec 6 2007, 09:30 PM, said:

please...."safe sex" education didn't teach stupid teens not to do it....so don't blame abstinence only education for it.  put the blame where it belongs--on the PARENTS.

my parents taught me better--and :gasp!: i made it all the way through high school without sleeping around (or sleeping with ANYONE, for you picky people :rolleyes:).  the problem is parents who don't teach their children that sleeping around is NOT appropriate.  if mine were able to do it, so can others.

but i know--that's too HARD in today's world...so it's more convenient to blame the schools and anyone who directs them instead.

I don't see anything wrong with teenagers of a legal age sleeping together, as long as they are responsible and use protection. It doesn't make them "stupid".
Posted Image

#11 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:02 AM

I seem to remember we had a thread about a particular school or district starting to hand out condoms recently. I clearly remember one of the kids being quoted as saying she felt like that was giving her permission to have sex.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:16 AM

View PostAlica, on Dec 6 2007, 10:58 AM, said:

Generally, I think abstinence-only sex ed leads to teenagers saying "we won't have sex, we'll wait", then they end up having sex anyway. Then, since they didn't think they were going to have sex, they aren't prepared and don't have a condom to hand. I can also imagine use of contraception having something to do with it, since if they're only been taught abstinence, they won't know how to use it.
Exactly.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

View PostAnastashia, on Dec 7 2007, 06:02 AM, said:

I seem to remember we had a thread about a particular school or district starting to hand out condoms recently. I clearly remember one of the kids being quoted as saying she felt like that was giving her permission to have sex.
I vaguely remember that.  Did they hand them out or make them available?  Did they force them on kids who didn't want them?  I don't remember the details, but I'd be surprised if they made the kids take them and I didn't remember that.  Did the kid who said she felt like it was permission say she felt she needed permission to have sex?  Or that she felt she no longer had permission not to have sex?  

Ignorance is not bliss, where sex is concerned.
Posted Image

#14 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

View PostNonny, on Dec 7 2007, 09:19 AM, said:

I vaguely remember that.  Did they hand them out or make them available?  Did they force them on kids who didn't want them?  I don't remember the details, but I'd be surprised if they made the kids take them and I didn't remember that.  Did the kid who said she felt like it was permission say she felt she needed permission to have sex?  Or that she felt she no longer had permission not to have sex?  

They were either trying to decide whether to make them available or planing too. She said she thought the availability gave her permission to go ahead. Presumably that meant she didn't feel she could go ahead before the availability. I'm thinking she meant their being available implied it was ok to go ahead if she wanted to while before it somehow wasn't.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#15 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

View PostAnastashia, on Dec 7 2007, 11:00 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on Dec 7 2007, 09:19 AM, said:

They were either trying to decide whether to make them available or planing too. She said she thought the availability gave her permission to go ahead. Presumably that meant she didn't feel she could go ahead before the availability. I'm thinking she meant their being available implied it was ok to go ahead if she wanted to while before it somehow wasn't.
Sounds like she's not the sharpest pencil in the box.  With an understanding like that, she could be easy pickin's for some boy.    :unsure:
Posted Image

#16 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Dec 6 2007, 08:45 AM, said:

Robert Rector, a senior research fellow with the Heritage Foundation, said that blaming abstinence-only programs was “stupid.” Mr. Rector said that most young women who became pregnant were highly educated about contraceptives but wanted to have babies.

Is there a female in the room who believes this? :sarcasm:

My b*llsh*t meter just broke. :sarcasm:  Teenage girls do not plan to have babies - they screw around and end up with them because they're in a hormone haze and don't use contraception. And some are dumber than dirt and do it multiple times. They're no more intelligent about sex than teenage boys (if possibly not as perpetually horney :p).

And I wouldn't have problems with teaching abstinence if ways and means of birth control were also taught. The Pixie is right - they're going to mess around anyway and without being taught ways and means of birth control they're just doing it unprotected. And that's just dandy - get pregnant AND get AIDS.

Edited by Rhea, 07 December 2007 - 11:24 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#17 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:35 PM

View PostRhea, on Dec 7 2007, 08:17 PM, said:

Is there a female in the room who believes this? :sarcasm:

My b*llsh*t meter just broke. :sarcasm:  Teenage girls do not plan to have babies - they screw around and end up with them because they're in a hormone haze and don't use contraception. And some are dumber than dirt and do it multiple times. They're no more intelligent about sex than teenage boys (if possibly not as perpetually horney :p).

actually considering some of the Maury shows i've seen, i don't think this guy is BSing as much as you think, Rhea.

there ARE plenty of stupid teen girls out there who want a baby and/or try to plan for one because they think it will make them special/independent/etc.  that's not ALL of them, of course--but there IS a percentage of them who do deliberately get knocked up.

I don't see anything wrong with teenagers of a legal age sleeping together, as long as they are responsible and use protection. It doesn't make them "stupid".

because around here and in most countries, a legal adult is eighteen.  NOT a teenager.  teenagers = minors.  teenagers = not responsible.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#18 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:36 AM

View PostCheile, on Dec 10 2007, 04:35 AM, said:

there ARE plenty of stupid teen girls out there who want a baby and/or try to plan for one because they think it will make them special/independent/etc.  that's not ALL of them, of course--but there IS a percentage of them who do deliberately get knocked up.

It's not always stupidity, sometimes it's very, very sad. I knew a girl who, at 16, wanted a baby. She had one, was very happy about it, so really since she was a good mum, the dad was just as active as her even though he was young too, I suppose it should have been fine. It was just that she said she wanted a baby because she hadn't achieved anything in her life, and was desperate to make some sort of achievement. Do I think that makes her a bad mother? No, she was actually quite a good one. Do I think she did it to be special? No. I just think the type of society we have today, that can make a 16-year-old girl feel so desperate for self-worth because she hasn't achieved anything yet, is quite awful, but it's the way it is. I hope she's happy, and I think she'll raise her child very well, but I wish she hadn't been so brought down that she'd had to have a baby for some form of self-worth.

because around here and in most countries, a legal adult is eighteen. NOT a teenager. teenagers = minors. teenagers = not responsible.

Well, if the legal age for sex where you are is 18, then no one should have sex before then. Here's it's 16. OTOH: Not much you can do to stop two 15-year-olds having sex. As far as I've noticed (and it hasn't been that long) the age of consent only increases the stigma to do it earlier.

Edited by Pixiedust, 10 December 2007 - 01:37 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:47 AM

Nonny, for once I agree with you.  Everyone should know about condoms and pills and all that jazz, but especially condoms.  CONDOMS, PEOPLE!!!!  Seriously, with STD's spreading like Xmas chear, they should really put more emphasis on that.
Posted Image

#20 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

View PostPixiedust, on Dec 10 2007, 01:36 AM, said:

Well, if the legal age for sex where you are is 18, then no one should have sex before then. Here's it's 16. OTOH: Not much you can do to stop two 15-year-olds having sex. As far as I've noticed (and it hasn't been that long) the age of consent only increases the stigma to do it earlier.

It's 16 in Michigan where I'm from, too.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Birth Rate, Teenagers, Health, Pregnancy, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users