#41 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

View PostCaithness, on Dec 13 2007, 12:33 AM, said:

View PostGodeskian, on Dec 12 2007, 08:35 AM, said:

Unless you're planning on having a graduation day fling (and I've known people who did exactly that) then I think you can probably find time to go get some, but I have to admit I don't have a big problem with the idea of them handing them out at graduation.

"Congratulations... here's your diploma and your profilactic.  I'm sure you'll go on to do great things with both."

More like 'here's what you need to get a good start at getting going on life and living responsibily.' The stats speak for themselves.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#42 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:05 AM

Plus Caithness, don't forget that the Dutch goverment takes the pragmatic view on sex. They don't pretend that they can stop teenagers from having sex. They don't kid themselves that religious entreaties, or moral convictions are going to stop teenagers from doing what teenagers do. All they care about is that teenage pregnancy rates remain low (because it saves money) and that STD spread remains curtailed (because it saves money) and if the best way to do that is to give kids condoms with their diploma's.... well, they'll do exactly that.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#43 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:34 AM

View PostCaithness, on Dec 12 2007, 01:24 PM, said:

View PostNikcara, on Dec 11 2007, 03:53 AM, said:

In this sense, having ads/education that makes condoms sexy increases their use more than trying to frighten people into using them because of disease (I remember in Germany seeing some of the most hilarious condom ads.  I think we should have them here because A) everyone needs more humor in their life and B) more effective then showing really gross pictures of things like gonorreha)

Now I'm interested.  What was the ad?

Bear in mind, this was a few years ago and my German was (and is) far from perfect.  But my favorite was probably a reenactment of the Frodo/Galerdial scene where (in the movie) Frodo looked into the fountain and saw what would happen if Souran got the ring, and offered to give it to Galadrial instead.  Instead, Frodo and Galeridial were talking, Galeridial was talking about what a great hero Frodo was and the great quest he was on, and when Frodo tried to give Galeridial the ring instead he opens his hand and there is a condom in a gold package.  Something about how this brand was "the one to rule them all".  I know there was more innuedo in that commerical than I was able to translate, but you get the idea.
There were also things like billboards that had images made out of a bunch of condoms - one I walked past everyday at work formed a teddybear, but I can't remember what the caption was.  Another was a microphone made out of condoms and the caption was something like "be a rockstar!".  Stuff like that.

I always loved the Frodo one
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#44 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Dec 13 2007, 12:05 AM, said:

Plus Caithness, don't forget that the Dutch goverment takes the pragmatic view on sex. They don't pretend that they can stop teenagers from having sex. They don't kid themselves that religious entreaties, or moral convictions are going to stop teenagers from doing what teenagers do. All they care about is that teenage pregnancy rates remain low (because it saves money) and that STD spread remains curtailed (because it saves money) and if the best way to do that is to give kids condoms with their diploma's.... well, they'll do exactly that.
Before the US gets to that excellent, pragmatic point, we'll have to face up to the fact that politicians are going to do what politicians do, and find a way to stop them from covering their own big, cheating-on-their-spouses behinds by pointing fingers of blame at everybody else, teenagers being the biggest, easiest and most vulnerable target.    :suspect:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#45 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:51 AM

I remember another one from german tv..someone stop me mangling my german, please.

Young cute guy gets to checkout counter and has a long strip of different coloured condoms in his trolly (maybe a foto and a half high). Checkout lady shouts across the floor 'Wieviel sind die condome?' (how much are the condoms?) and the entire floor falls silent. The cute girl behind him looks at the guy and checkout lady and says '2.99' and the granny behind her then interjects 'no, its a special offer. 1.99'.

Quite nicely showing that everyone should know that.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#46 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

View PostWildChildCait, on Dec 13 2007, 03:51 PM, said:

I remember another one from german tv..someone stop me mangling my german, please.

Young cute guy gets to checkout counter and has a long strip of different coloured condoms in his trolly (maybe a foto and a half high). Checkout lady shouts across the floor 'Wieviel sind die condome?' (how much are the condoms?) and the entire floor falls silent. The cute girl behind him looks at the guy and checkout lady and says '2.99' and the granny behind her then interjects 'no, its a special offer. 1.99'.

Quite nicely showing that everyone should know that.

They made a Dutch version of that one as well didn't they? As soon as you began describing that, I had this incredibly keen sense of having seen that one in dutch.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#47 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Dec 13 2007, 03:05 AM, said:

It was a joke, kids.
Posted Image

#48 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:14 PM

View PostNikcara, on Dec 13 2007, 05:34 AM, said:

View PostCaithness, on Dec 12 2007, 01:24 PM, said:

View PostNikcara, on Dec 11 2007, 03:53 AM, said:

In this sense, having ads/education that makes condoms sexy increases their use more than trying to frighten people into using them because of disease (I remember in Germany seeing some of the most hilarious condom ads.  I think we should have them here because A) everyone needs more humor in their life and B) more effective then showing really gross pictures of things like gonorreha)

Now I'm interested.  What was the ad?

Bear in mind, this was a few years ago and my German was (and is) far from perfect.  But my favorite was probably a reenactment of the Frodo/Galerdial scene where (in the movie) Frodo looked into the fountain and saw what would happen if Souran got the ring, and offered to give it to Galadrial instead.  Instead, Frodo and Galeridial were talking, Galeridial was talking about what a great hero Frodo was and the great quest he was on, and when Frodo tried to give Galeridial the ring instead he opens his hand and there is a condom in a gold package.  Something about how this brand was "the one to rule them all".  I know there was more innuedo in that commerical than I was able to translate, but you get the idea.
There were also things like billboards that had images made out of a bunch of condoms - one I walked past everyday at work formed a teddybear, but I can't remember what the caption was.  Another was a microphone made out of condoms and the caption was something like "be a rockstar!".  Stuff like that.

I always loved the Frodo one

lawlz, that's awesome!
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Birth Rate, Teenagers, Health, Pregnancy, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users