• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:29 AM

Rudy-- I think we all need to keep in minds the lesson of 9/11, which occured on 9/11, and I was the mayor on 9/11, the day in which we learned the lesons of 9/11. 9/11.

Romney-- Religion and freedom are co-dependent. So STFU & GBTW secular France and theocratic Iran. [As a side note, everybody focuses on the polygamist history of Mormonism. How about the fact that the church, to this day, advocates that women need to stay at home and take care OF TEH BABEEZ???]

Obama-- Gay baiting. http://www.americabl...explaining.html

Clinton (who I admittedly hate the least at the moment)-- Honestly, blatant politicing. If 90% of America decided they hated puppies, she'd come out with a puppy extermination plan and claim she's been advocating it since 1994. In addition, she's never disowned her wacky "vast right wing conspiracy" comment, when it turned out that there actually was a 'there' there.

Ron Paul-- Hey, thanks for living up to the steroetype of the crazy libertarian, *a$$h*le.

McCain--  I knew the man McCain was in 2000. That McCain was a friend of mine. I worked for that McCain in 2002. You, sir, are no John McCain. What the hell happened to you?

Huckabee-- So, um, you hadn't heard of the Iran NIE long after everybody had been talking about it? And the Dumond affair is kind of wigging me out as well...

Joe Biden-- Actually, I kind of like you. Granted, you forward the absurd lie that everybody should go to college, but that's kind of one of our national delusiosns right now. You did vote for that bankruptcy bill, but there was some very good stuff in there in addition to some very bad stuff. I may not hate you as much as I first thought. Sadly, you're not going to be nominated, so you don't count.

Everybody else-- I hate you for various reasons I may come back and expand on at a later date. Paradoxically, Kucinich is probably one of my favorites right now.

In conclusion, I'm voting for a bag of lettuce.

Edited by Juris Rovvius, 07 December 2007 - 03:20 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

Mmm...lettuce... :drool:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#3 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

Thompson-- Religion and freedom are co-dependent. So STFU & GBTW secular France and theocratic Iran. [As a side note, everybody focuses on the polygamist history of Mormonism. How about the fact that the church, to this day, advocates that women need to stay at home and take care OF TEH BABEEZ???]

Don't you mean Romney for this one? That being said I look forward to your comments on Thompson.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

^

Indeed I do. Editing....

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:16 AM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Dec 6 2007, 09:29 PM, said:

Joe Biden-- Actually, I kind of like you. Granted, you forward the absurd lie that everybody should go to college, but that's kind of one of our national delusions right now. You did vote for that bankruptcy bill, but there was some very good stuff in there in addition to some very bad stuff. I may not hate you as much as I first thought. Sadly, you're not going to be nominated, so you don't count.

I hate them all too.  All but Biden.  It is too bad he won't be nominated and we're going to be stuck with candidates we hate.  Whatever happened to candidates we loved?  Candidates we wanted to head on down to campaign headquarters and stuff envelopes until our fingers dropped off?  Where are those candidates?

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#6 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:44 AM

View PostCait, on Dec 6 2007, 10:16 PM, said:

Joe Biden-- Actually, I kind of like you. Granted, you forward the absurd lie that everybody should go to college, but that's kind of one of our national delusions right now. You did vote for that bankruptcy bill, but there was some very good stuff in there in addition to some very bad stuff. I may not hate you as much as I first thought. Sadly, you're not going to be nominated, so you don't count.

I hate them all too.  All but Biden.  It is too bad he won't be nominated and we're going to be stuck with candidates we hate.  Whatever happened to candidates we loved?  Candidates we wanted to head on down to campaign headquarters and stuff envelopes until our fingers dropped off?  Where are those candidates?

Satan ate them.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#7 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:55 AM

View PostRobL, on Dec 6 2007, 10:44 PM, said:

Satan ate them.

I should have known.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

To paraphrase something I heard once: what does it say about our society if it can no longer produce leaders of ability, vision, and moral character?
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#9 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:35 PM

You said one line or less, but I'm reading multiple lines. In fact, I'm seeing at least one line per candidate; sometimes even more.

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:16 PM

I mostly agree with your very brief analysis, Rov. Well-done!

View PostBroph, on Dec 7 2007, 12:35 PM, said:

You said one line or less, but I'm reading multiple lines. In fact, I'm seeing at least one line per candidate; sometimes even more.
So?
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#11 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:45 PM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Dec 7 2007, 12:29 AM, said:

Ron Paul-- Hey, thanks for living up to the steroetype of the crazy libertarian, *a$$h*le.

By crazy you mean fabulous, right?  Yeah, you meant fabulous.
Posted Image

#12 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

View PostCait, on Dec 7 2007, 01:16 AM, said:

Ron Paul Ron Paul Ron Paul........
Posted Image

#13 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

View PostBroph, on Dec 7 2007, 11:35 AM, said:

Changed to 'paragraph', lest I be sued for false advertising.

View PostCaithness, on Dec 7 2007, 01:45 PM, said:

On a lot of issues, he's amazingly good. But... no federal reserve? Back to the gold standard? No IRS, and no clear indication of that he would replace it with? Private money? Anti-abortion? In favor of DADT?  That being said, I do give him credit for a lot of things. One thing that is rare and admirable is that he votes against spending, in addition to voting against taxes.

#14 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:02 PM

:D

Great commentary, Rov--and I pretty much agree with you.

I often wonder, though, how George Washington or Abe Lincoln would fare today under the microscope on the campaign trail, armed with the requisite army of pollsters and handlers. :p
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#15 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

Mark: I would bet George and Abe were never so scrutinized. If so, the American public would have never voted for the two greatest American Presidents. ...well, at least Abe should be in the top two Presidents, IMO.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#16 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:17 PM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Dec 7 2007, 03:28 PM, said:

View PostBroph, on Dec 7 2007, 11:35 AM, said:

Changed to 'paragraph', lest I be sued for false advertising.

View PostCaithness, on Dec 7 2007, 01:45 PM, said:

On a lot of issues, he's amazingly good. But... no federal reserve? Back to the gold standard? No IRS, and no clear indication of that he would replace it with? Private money? Anti-abortion? In favor of DADT?  That being said, I do give him credit for a lot of things. One thing that is rare and admirable is that he votes against spending, in addition to voting against taxes.

He'd never be able to do half of that, but he'd move us further toward the economic right and social libertarianism.  So yeah, DADT sucks and so does the gold standard, but I still heart Ron Paul.

His freckles are actually gold deposits.
Posted Image

#17 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:24 PM

Caithness: His freckles are actually gold deposits.

Caithness, given your sense of humor, I think you'll appreciate this:

http://www.time.com/...78661-2,00.html

Representative Tom Tancredo, another long-shot G.O.P. candidate, tells me that after a debate in New Hampshire, one of his staffers walked up to a guy in a shark costume and asked him if he was a Ron Paul supporter. "No. They're all nuts," replied the shark. "I'm just a guy in a shark suit."

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#18 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

George too, he had the good sense to hire Alexander Hamilton, who set up our economy.

Rov, I couldn't have done it as well. Loved the insight into McCain. I too have wondered what happened to the Maverick.
Can't Touch This!!

#19 Caithness

Caithness

Nemo me impune lacessit.

• Islander
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Dec 7 2007, 04:24 PM, said:

Caithness: His freckles are actually gold deposits.

Caithness, given your sense of humor, I think you'll appreciate this:

http://www.time.com/...78661-2,00.html

Representative Tom Tancredo, another long-shot G.O.P. candidate, tells me that after a debate in New Hampshire, one of his staffers walked up to a guy in a shark costume and asked him if he was a Ron Paul supporter. "No. They're all nuts," replied the shark. "I'm just a guy in a shark suit."

Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm dressed like a sea horse right now....
Posted Image

#20 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

Obama supported gay rights during his term in the state senate. He sponsored legislation that would ban discrimination based on sexual orientation.  Here's how he rates by the Human Rights Campaign:

Every two years the Human Rights Campaign, the largest national gay and lesbian organization, issues a scorecard for members of the Senate based on their sponsorship and voting on key issues of importance to gay and lesbian citizens. Barack Obama scored 89 out of 100% in the 2006 scorecard.

Here's how HRC rated Barack Obama:
Barack Obama on Hate Crimes: Barack Obama co-sponsored legislation to expand federal hate crimes laws to include crimes perpetrated because of sexual orientation and gender identity.
Employment Non-Discrimination: Barack Obama supports the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and believes it should be expanded to include sexual orientation and gender identity.
Don't Ask, Don't Tell - Gays in the Military: Barack Obama believes we need to repeal the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy and allow gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military. His campaign literature says, "The key test for military service should be patriotism, a sense of duty, and a willingness to serve."
Gay & Lesbian Adoption: Barack Obama believes gays and lesbians should have the same rights to adopt children as heterosexuals.
Barack Obama and Gay Marriage/ Civil Unions: Although Barack Obama has said that he supports civil unions, he is against gay marriage. In an interview with the Chicago Daily Tribune, Obama said, "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."
Barack Obama did vote against a Federal Marriage Amendment and opposed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996.
He said he would support civil unions between gay and lesbian couples, as well as letting individual states determine if marriage between gay and lesbian couples should be legalized.

I'll continue to judge him by his actions - his choice of a bigoted gospel singer was unfortunate and obviously nobody thought through beforehand how the guy's idiocy would affect the campaign.

Edited by Rhea, 08 December 2007 - 03:38 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users