4 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:17 AM

http://www.mysananto.....1013380&xld=1

A  federal district court has dismissed a request by the former plaintiff known as "Jane Roe" to reconsider the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion 30 years ago.

Norma McCorvey, who joined the anti-abortion fight 10 years ago, filed the "motion for relief from judgment" Tuesday, asking the court to reopen Roe v. Wade and conduct a wide-ranging inquiry into scientific and anecdotal evidence she says shows abortion hurts women.

The court dismissed McCorvey's request late Thursday, saying it wasn't made within a "reasonable time" after the 1973 judgment

Interesting.

I guess they have to get a *new* case with the same issue for the court to review.

Edited by Cait, 21 September 2012 - 03:28 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:19 AM

^ You're getting slow, Rov ;)

Posted it in the other thread already :)

Still, I can't say I'm suprised by the verdict
cervisiam tene rem specta

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:30 AM

Same. Whether right or wrong, this is three decades later and they've got rules on how long after you can file this kind of things.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:35 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 20 2003, 12:18 PM, said:

http://www.mysananto.....1013380&xld=1

A federal district court has dismissed a request by the former plaintiff known as "Jane Roe" to reconsider the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion 30 years ago.

Norma McCorvey, who joined the anti-abortion fight 10 years ago, filed the "motion for relief from judgment" Tuesday, asking the court to reopen Roe v. Wade and conduct a wide-ranging inquiry into scientific and anecdotal evidence she says shows abortion hurts women.

The court dismissed McCorvey's request late Thursday, saying it wasn't made within a "reasonable time" after the 1973 judgment

Interesting.

I guess they have to get a *new* case with the same issue for the court to review.
:cool:  :cool:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 08:27 AM

I am actually glad that the courts have decided to keep out of this. The issue has been worked to the state level with states making the laws that fit closer to their citizens desires. The system is flawed but it is working well enough till something better is presented.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Roe Vs. Wade, Abortion, Federal Courts

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users