6 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:41 AM

Just heard this on MSNBC.

Dean's 17 year old son has been arrested for trying to steal alcohol. This has been confirmed by the Burlington police department. He was arrested late last night at the Burlington country club; a felony citation for burglary.

The boy wasn't arrested and hauled off to jail, but he was issued a felony citation. He has a court date on August 5.

EDIT: Also, he's being charged as an adult.

Dean has canceled an event in Iowa to deal with the family crisis.

This could be a bit of trouble for Dean's campaign. OTOH, the Bush daughters are hardly model citizens, and he seems to be doing okay.

There's a statement issued by Dean. I'll try to track down the fulltext. Dean has asked for the media to respect his privacy. Unlikely. ;).

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 21 June 2003 - 06:59 AM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 06:58 AM

If he needs alcohol, I'm sure the Bush daughters can supply him with some.  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

-Ogami

#3 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 05:18 AM

Geez, I hadn't even heard of Howard Dean until I saw this thread.   Then today I noticed there's a campaign office for him downtown!  Weird.

I still don't know anything about the guy -- I don't even know what party affiliation he has -- but I would hope people wouldn't judge him too harshly on what his son does.   A child is a person in his/her own right, and sometimes all the best upbringing in the world doesn't prevent them from going off the rails at times.  (Totally mortifying for the parents anyway, though!)

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 05:44 AM

Geez, I hadn't even heard of Howard Dean until I saw this thread.   Then today I noticed there's a campaign office for him downtown!  Weird.

Not at all. It's like when you're thinking about a car or a word, then suddenly see it everywhere.

I still don't know anything about the guy -- I don't even know what party affiliation he has --

Democrat.

but I would hope people wouldn't judge him too harshly on what his son does.

Agreed.

A child is a person in his/her own right, and sometimes all the best upbringing in the world doesn't prevent them from going off the rails at times.

Yep.

(Totally mortifying for the parents anyway, though!)

Not necessarily. If anything, this has *helped* his name recognition.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 12:58 PM

Ogami, on Jun 20 2003, 12:59 PM, said:

If he needs alcohol, I'm sure the Bush daughters can supply him with some.  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

-Ogami
Damn! I was going to say that! :p :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 01:52 PM

So he rips off a little booze and gets a felony?!  And the students who murdered a beloved pet get a misdemeanor?!  And the reasoning was that now with three felonies and the three strike rule you are in forever.  And they didn't want to charge them with a felony for that reason

A felony for stealing booze?  That is so wrong.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#7 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 01:55 PM

So he rips off a little booze and gets a felony?!

I'm betting he'll be able to plea it down.  

And the students who murdered a beloved pet get a misdemeanor?! 

They're not really comparable, because they're in different states…

And the reasoning was that now with three felonies and the three strike rule you are in forever.  And they didn't want to charge them with a felony for that reason

That's silly. It makes the rule meaningless.

A felony for stealing booze?  That is so wrong.

I agree, although I might feel differently it was my property that was ripped off…

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politicians, Howard Dean, Son, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users