• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Pywacket

Pywacket
  • Islander
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

View PostFlatlandDan, on Dec 19 2007, 03:28 PM, said:

I've found the easiest way to maintain my weight (since I'm rather alright with it) is to take a moment and decide if I'm hungry or thirsty before I eat.  Most of the time, I find I'm thirsty.  I work in a warm room and get dehydrated easily.  

Sadly, it took a nasty bought of salmonella to get my weight down to this level.
That's a trick that works well for me also.  The problem is that people who have dieted a lot have very messed up metabolisms and their ability to recognize hunger can be atrophied.   A friend of mine worked closely with her doctor to figure out why she would gain weight when she ate less than her best friend.  In addition to the age difference, the doctor suggested that my friend, Trudy, had a metabolism problem since her bout of food poisoning several years before.  She didn't do aerobic exercise although she walked a lot every day and ate mainly salads for her midday and evening meals.

As blasphemous as it sounds, the doctor told her to eat more.  She wasn't eating enough to keep her metabolism working at a higher level (and she never got hungry even after walking a mile in the evening). It worked for her.  But it went against everything that she had ever been told about losing weight and she fought against following her doctors suggestions for a long while.

I've found that having smaller meals about 3 hours apart seems to help me.  I actually get hungry now as in hunger pangs and not just massive pain (I have reflux disease).  And getting the thyroid working again has helped tremendously.  I can finally see results to my change to more healthy eating habits.  

Weight loss is more, IMO, than just controlled calories in + exercise=loss.  That helps but it not the entire answer for some of us.  Medications can affect weight gain and water retention as can illness.  Women have a more difficult time losing weight than men do.

Pywacket
One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. - Andre Gide

#22 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

View Postscherzo, on Dec 19 2007, 04:08 PM, said:

It always makes folks nervous when someone suggests they take personal responsibility for their circumstances. I think what Solar Wind wrote makes perfect sense, and reflects not a lack of "empathy", but rather a clear understanding of both the science and psychology of this issue.

-scherzo

There is no one in this thread that is saying not to take personal responsibility.  Where did you read that?

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#23 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

View PostBalderdash, on Dec 19 2007, 09:35 PM, said:

It always makes folks nervous when someone suggests they take personal responsibility for their circumstances. I think what Solar Wind wrote makes perfect sense, and reflects not a lack of "empathy", but rather a clear understanding of both the science and psychology of this issue.

-scherzo

There is no one in this thread that is saying not to take personal responsibility.  Where did you read that?
Here's what I read:

A poster very carefully explained why he thought people held the bulk of responsibility for their own individual weight.

OTHER posters didn't like that very much.

If along the way, I missed an extended car chase, or the killer's true identity...let me know. :humble:

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#24 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:25 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ide/7151736.stm

Just to prove you can beat the storage gene if you want to very, very, very much

Then again, perhaps just a change of lifestyle can really make a difference, by not giving the cell anything to store.

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/7148534.stm
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#25 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:27 AM

View Postscherzo, on Dec 19 2007, 09:21 PM, said:

-scherzo

Here's what I read:

A poster very carefully explained why he thought people held the bulk of responsibility for their own individual weight.

If along the way, I missed an extended car chase, or the killer's true identity...let me know. :humble:

-scherzo

You didn't miss the car chase or the killer thing but you did miss the meat and potatoes (with gravy) of the program.  I never said anything about personal responsibility, which I believe in, I go to the gym every other day and am careful about what I eat for the most part.  But there are, as I said, many reasons why some people, I would say a lot of people have a hard time losing and maintaining weight.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#26 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,333 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

View Postscherzo, on Dec 19 2007, 11:21 PM, said:

-scherzo

Here's what I read:

-scherzo

Sarcasm aside, the issue here is that there are a lot of factors that get in the way of people effectively being responsible in this area.  The physiological and psychological effects of weight loss are documented, and highly challenging to combat.  So when people talk about personal responsibility, it is important to remember that that personal responsibility is quite a bit overarching from what the average person has to do to be personally responsible.  It takes a LOT more of this capacity of personal responsibility, and against greater obstacles, to lose weight, than it does to maintain weight.  So - talking about it in a way that sounds like it's just that simple does make people uncomfortable... because every honest person knows - it's not.

For instance - I was just reading a couple of weeks ago about a study done on fat people exercising.  The study was dealing with the fact that fitness trainers rarely take into account the way fat moves on a body that is exercising.  Fat moves A LOT, and therefore creates strains on the bones and ligaments that a more healthy sized person never has to worry about, and, of course, making exercise more problematic for already fat people.  This, of course, is a nasty catch-22, because already fat people NEED the exercise, as part of a weight loss regiment. When a fat person says it hurts to exercise - they aren't just being lazy - they're telling about a real problem.  So too women with very large breasts - breast movement is a huge deterrent to exercise for some women... it hurts to have their breasts bouncing all over the place, and it is unhealthy for the breast. Easily solved with effective restraints, but just a side thing to think about that you don't always realize.

So yes - personal responsibility is something we all agree on, but the nuance being sought is the recognition of how much more of a challenge this really is to people who have problems with their weight.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Research, Fat genes, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users