14 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

http://www.abcnews.g...y...7265&page=1

Teenagers who receive any kind of sex education -- whether it's comprehensive or abstinence-only -- are more likely to delay sexual intercourse until after they turn 15, according to a new report.

But some sexual health experts worry that the study's failure to distinguish between comprehensive and abstinence-only approaches could give the public the wrong idea about the efficacy of simply telling kids not to have sex.
They found that boys in this age bracket who received formal sex education -- either in schools, churches or community organizations -- were 71 percent less likely to have sex before age 15. Girls aged 15 to 19 who received formal sex education were 59 percent less likely to have sex before age 15.

Formal sex education also seems to lead to safer sex, the study found. Males attending school who had received sex education were almost three times more likely to use birth control the first time they had sex -- though no such associations were found among females.
"This study expands on studies that have shown that sexuality education can delay the onset of sexual intercourse -- once again dispelling the myth that early sexuality education might increase sexual activity," explains Eli Coleman, director of the program in human sexuality at the University of Minnesota Medical School. "This study shows that sexuality education leads to more responsible sexual behavior."

Pepper Schwartz, professor of sociology at the University of Washington in Seattle, agrees.

"I am thrilled to have this study because it confirms, in some ways, the bottom-line fact: talking about sex, and giving information about sex, makes kids more thoughtful about it and more likely to be able to form a moral code and plan of action -- rather than unconscious reaction."
Judy Kuriansky, author of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Dating" and "Generation Sex," says the gender differences seen in the responses for boys and for girls in this study are also intriguing.

"It is interesting that [sex education] is more effective for boys than girls," she says. "I think this is because girls still are pressured into having sex to please a boyfriend and to keep the boyfriend."

As for the overall findings of the study, Kuriansky says the research shows that "love can wait if [teens] learn about sex."

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

The stats on girls are depressing.   More work needs to be done to overcome females feeling the need to appease boyfriends, etc.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:46 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on Dec 20 2007, 12:43 PM, said:

The stats on girls are depressing.   More work needs to be done to overcome females feeling the need to appease boyfriends, etc.

QT

I think part of it is also possible that many girl's date older guys is a contributing factor. Chances are those older boyfriends were already sexually active.

- Masha Gessen

#4 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:27 PM

Who would have thought : knowlege is better then ignorance. There aren't enough eye rolling smilies for this one....

But some sexual health experts worry that the study's failure to distinguish between comprehensive and abstinence-only approaches could give the public the wrong idea about the efficacy of simply telling kids not to have sex.

Well, maybe I will try one :

:rolleyes:

If you aren't a dried out husk yet you probebly remember being a teenager. And if you can remember that imagine trying to tell yourself to not have sex with that hot girl who wants you and wants you NOW. Good luck. I know my teenage self would laugh me in the face. We are humans. We are made to have sex. And if you are male you are made to have sex a LOT. Check out that population clock. It doesn't go down much does it? The best you can do is to explain things to your kids. Show them the risks and above all teach them RESPECT. Both for themselves and their partners.

Sorry, but a million years from now when James is a teenager I will prepare him for the REAL world thank you very much.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 20 December 2007 - 01:35 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

A few thousand years ago, having sex as soon as you could meant survival of the race. Civilization has caught up, but our instincs haven't made it yet. If we survive another 100,000 to 1 million years, we'll probably hit puberty later.
Can't Touch This!!

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

View Postsierraleone, on Dec 20 2007, 12:46 PM, said:

QT

I think part of it is also possible that many girl's date older guys is a contributing factor. Chances are those older boyfriends were already sexually active.

I actually thought of that as well, and then wondered if it is statistically true at these ages.  But yeah - female tendency to date older guys is probably a contributing factor in all sorts of ways, if it is at all.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:55 AM

QT

Now we are trying to go against evolution. The basic parts of human life boil down to food shelter and reprodustion.

Why do girls dress in the manner they do? To get attention from men.

Women give sex to their partners because they want the man to stay. If he feels that he can have sex with some other woman he is going to try and get it. No matter how you try to reprogram him. Or her.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

View PostG1223, on Dec 21 2007, 12:55 AM, said:

QT

Now we are trying to go against evolution. The basic parts of human life boil down to food shelter and reprodustion.

Women give sex to their partners because they want the man to stay. If he feels that he can have sex with some other woman he is going to try and get it. No matter how you try to reprogram him. Or her.

Aren't we already going against evolution with sex-ed  :rolleyes:
Considering the results one could argue we are going against it, successfully (to some degree)

How much of it is evolution, how much culture? (Because if its all evolution I must be an evolutionary freak).
Women can get food for themselves. Unless one tries to argue women are incapable of hunting, gathering, farming.
Culture has tended to segregate tasks by gender. How much is natural or 'unnatural', evolution or culture, is up to debate.

- Masha Gessen

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:17 AM

No not really. We are examing the topic. We are discussing and in some cases experimenting with it.  Not having sex has the same meaning as the phrase choosing not to choose is still making a choice.

Abstaining from sex is choosing a sexual pathway.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

View Postsierraleone, on Dec 21 2007, 08:54 AM, said:

View PostG1223, on Dec 21 2007, 12:55 AM, said:

QT

Aren't we already going against evolution with sex-ed  :rolleyes:
Considering the results one could argue we are going against it, successfully (to some degree)

Agreed.  And the idea that young women are incapable of effective forethought and must always yield sex to men who want it is ... besides being offensive to women, it is also part of the problem of why young women feel like they must. :angry:

This kind of propaganda is pushed so much that a woman finds years of cultural opinion, social mores, and male expectation stacked up against her when trying to make principled decisions.  And yet - women DO make principled decisions.

While a 60% improvement leaves much to be desired - it is in fact, an improvement - a marked one, and certainly one that goes against "conventional wisdom" suggesting that women can't do better (for whatever reasons).

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:26 AM

View PostG1223, on Dec 21 2007, 09:17 AM, said:

No not really. We are examing the topic. We are discussing and in some cases experimenting with it.  Not having sex has the same meaning as the phrase choosing not to choose is still making a choice.

Abstaining from sex is choosing a sexual pathway.

I'm not clear on the point you're making?  

The issue at hand is the success of sex education in convincing teens to delay sex until they are older.  The report shows a 71% improvement for boys, 59% improvement for girls - age of both 15 to 19.

Your argument (seemed to be) that it goes against evolution for girls to avoid having sex at young ages.  How does that argument relate to your idea of young people abstaining (which, of course, is what we're aiming for in this age range)?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:18 AM

What I getting at or trying to is that trying to counter program girls is doomed to fail.  

Women usually try to keep their choosen guy around till he feels his is obliged to remain. Be it for the children to I have meals made for me and sex.

It was a while back it was suggested in one of these threads that women should stop trying to get attention and I said that "If something like that was done why would I need to treat you with any  added respect. Like the respect given to a woman by waiting for her and opening the door for her."

Women want that added respect. We see it in mothers trying to teach their children manners.

A woman not giving her partner sex is not going to keep him as easily when other women willing to do so. Not unless she makes staying a more better choice.

What we need to do is focus on teaching women and they can teach their man why to stay. Why to be faithful.  

Men will learn. I have been taught by my girlfriend to be a better dresser. To shave more often. To show care for my appearrance. These were things I did not care to do. I was not as bad a slob as I could have been. But I was not wearing slacks as often as I do now. I have worn less T-shirts and more dress shirts since I started to date her.

I know I am being pushed in a direction I had not gone before and I will admit I am doing it for her because she would like me a bit better if I dressed nicer.

TANSTAAFL

#13 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

View PostG1223, on Dec 21 2007, 10:18 AM, said:

What I getting at or trying to is that trying to counter program girls is doomed to fail.

It's already succeeding.  59% improvement is not failure. It's just not as good as we'd like.

A woman not giving her partner sex is not going to keep him as easily when other women willing to do so. Not unless she makes staying a more better choice.

Surprisingly - a man not giving his woman sex isn't going to keep her that well either.  :rolleyes:

But of course, we aren't talking about women. We're talking about teenaged girls - ages 15 to 19, who should not be trying to "keep their men" at all.  They've got plenty of time to get into that game.

What we need to do is focus on teaching women and they can teach their man why to stay. Why to be faithful.

Teach women what, precisely?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#14 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

View PostG1223, on Dec 21 2007, 10:18 AM, said:

It was a while back it was suggested in one of these threads that women should stop trying to get attention and I said that "If something like that was done why would I need to treat you with any  added respect. Like the respect given to a woman by waiting for her and opening the door for her."

There are different ways to get attention from the opposite gender. Also, supposively men like the chase, isn't it often said that women who give it up quickly, men got what they want and will go on to another 'trophy'? Its these opposite ideas that create such confusion! Especially for one who thinks getting and keeping a man is the end all and be all of exsistance, because they have no self-esteem, don't know who they are, and are impressionable.

So what is it? Sleep with a man to keep him? Or hold off to keep him on the chase, and/or 'respect' you?

- Masha Gessen

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on Dec 21 2007, 10:23 AM, said:

We're talking about teenaged girls - ages 15 to 19, who should not be trying to "keep their men" at all.  They've got plenty of time to get into that game.

QT

Not according to evolution. But based upon our laws and how we have turned society to where it is today. It used to be that girls that young were married and having children. And that practise went back a LONG way.

It was so that a woman might have enough children so that the few who survived could carry on.

Now as to what to teach them. How to talk to their partner. Communication which the lack of has ended a LOT of marriages. Not the talk of the bedroom but what to and how to discuss how the woman is feeling. How to help a partner deal with the stress of day to day living. Not just sex but what methods she can use to help him deal with things. And in teaching him discover things that help her destress and pass those lessons on to him.

I am not saying men cannot learn these things but I know a lot of men are not taught to deal with a number of emotional situations. It is not usually our way to be in touch with our feelings. It is one way women help men become better.

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Sex Education, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users