5 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:32 AM

http://channels.nets...87.htm&sc=roitz

The Press Ministry said it closed TVS, where many reporters took refuge after two other
                   channels were closed in succession, because it was mired in a financial and management
                   crisis. Journalists and liberals admitted the station had difficulties but said the move
                   threatened objective reporting of politics.

The channel's broadcasts ended abruptly at midnight during an advertisement, replaced first
                   by a test pattern and then a notice saying: "Farewell. We have been taken off the air." Within
                   minutes, a sports channel began broadcasts.

The ministry said TVS failed to meet the demands of quality broadcasting and had "sunk into
                   a financial, staffing and management crisis. In this situation, a decision had to be taken to
                   defend viewers' interests and take account of legal issues."

-----------------------------------------

I wonder what would happen if, this happended over here. :unsure:  :wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:49 AM

The lack of objective TV media is definitely a problem. However, from the article, it sounds like they have a good radio backbone, at the least. One wonders how their newspapers are.

I will confess, however, that I'm not terribly familar with the Russian media situation...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 06:13 AM

Things like this happen often enough. Another crisis of the same nature is olso mentioned in the very same article.

...NTV, which set itself apart from two state-controlled channels with critical coverage of Russia's military campaign in Chechnya. In 2001, NTV passed from control of press magnate Vladimir Gusinsky into the hands of gas monopoly Gazprom after a takeover battle.

and

...TV6, whose license was withdrawn last year

I never watched channel in question myself, so I can't form an opinion about it's political leaning. On the side note, while I consider the argument that events, described in the article may have something to do with upcoming president election in 04, I noticed the following line in the article (emphasis mine):

TVS journalists, some unpaid for up to three months, saw a combination of financial woes and political intrigue.

The situation where peolpe aren't paid for their work for up to half of a year is not unknown in Russia and it is not terribly strange that an organisation that can't even pay its employees, has financial problems.

Now, it is definitely not common to take channals from air in the middle of the program :unsure:

I also must add that calling TVS is(was)  "Sole Russian Independant TV Channel" isn't entirely correct. I believe, the article is stating that it is(was) "sole country-wide independent television channel"

As for "No Andromeda for them", it was, I believe, another channel that broadcasted it (or not broadcasted ;) ) at least in my area. :p

Rov, I am sorry that I can't offer you any information on Russian printed media :(  as I tend not to read newspapers :blush: , but rather get my news from TV and internet.

Lina

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 10:14 AM

Ugh :barf: , I can't imagine how Andromeda would be cut, ona state run station. :barf:

Well, I still can't see this as a good thing, but it's strange that one of the reasons sited for the channel being taken off the air, is lack of quality programming. I have to wonder who sets the standards, for what qualifies as quality. :question:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 MegL

MegL
  • Islander
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 02:16 PM

According to the promo off the Russian station (hey, I kept it :D), the station was CTC or C 1, whatever that translates too (the rest of the writing is in Cyrilic so I'm not sure how I could type it in here).

Meg

#6 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:13 AM

DWF, on Jun 23 2003, 03:15 AM, said:

Well, I still can't see this as a good thing, but it's strange that one of the reasons sited for the channel being taken off the air, is lack of quality programming. I have to wonder who sets the standards, for what qualifies as quality. :question:
While I never looked into it and don't have enough time on my hands to do proper research :( , here is the most coherent site (English version of it) I could find on Russian laws about mass media:

http://www.medialaw....ndep/eindex.htm

Lina

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Europe, Russia, Media, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users