• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

He was an interesting man, and by all accounts I have seen, a modest one as well.

RIP, Sir Edmund Hillary

Peridot
Posted Image

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

He often truly was the man who went where no man had gone before. I have always admired him, and sorrow at our loss.
This is one of my favorit quotes... and for some reason, I know not why, I always thought of him whenever I read it.

"Something has spoken to me in the night, burning the tapers of the waning year; something has spoken in the night, and told me I shall die, I know not where. Saying: "To lose the earth you know, for greater knowing; to lose the life you have for greater life; to leave the friends you loved, for greater loving; to find a land more kind than home, more large than earth.
Whereon the pillars of this earth are founded, toward which the conscience of the world is tending-a wind is rising, and the rivers flow."

I guess maybe it is because I always thought of him as looking for, while still in this life, that land more large than earth...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:03 AM

Rest In Peace Sir Edmund, you did what no one else had done, and beat Everest.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

There is an excellent remembrance of him at NPR this morning.  

RIP, Sir Edmund.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

Hats off for the man who made it to the top, without guidelines, or oxygen tanks, or thinsilate undies.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Sir Edmund Hillary, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users