3 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...tml?ref=science

A new, highly drug-resistant strain of the “flesh-eating” MRSA bacteria is being spread among gay men in San Francisco and Boston, researchers reported on Monday.

In a study published online by the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, the bacteria seemed to be spread most easily through anal intercourse but also through casual skin-to-skin contact and touching contaminated surfaces.

The authors warned that unless microbiology laboratories were able to identify the strain and doctors prescribed the proper antibiotic therapy, the infection could soon spread among other groups and become a wider threat.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

At the hospital where my mom works, there is an infectious disease doctor who specializes in MRSA. His basic theory/attitude is that MRSA is so common now that it has become part of our natural bacteria. Its in all of us, in the air, and the enviorment. Its when our immune system gets compromised through illness or surgery, that it suddenly crops up.

Personally, I'm not too worried. When its time for me to go, it's my time. I'm not going to hide under my bed all of my life afraid of superbugs or some other disaster to come and get me.  :cool:

Bring back Darthsikle!

#3 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

^That depends on the strain of MRSA.  There are tons of different types of staph.  Some are pathogenic, some are opportunistic, and the rest (the majority) don't do a dang thing to humans.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#4 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:21 AM

I think the basic guidelines for hospitals should be - don't visit if you're even slightly unwell and wash your hands before entering the ward to see your loved one. That would help deal with germs passed on by skin to skin contact.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, STD's, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users