Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

The God Poll

Religion Spirituality Atheism

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: The God Poll (79 member(s) have cast votes)

The God Poll

1. I believe in God. Of an organized religion form. (IE: The Christian God) (27 votes [36.49%])

Percentage of vote: 36.49%

2. I believe in God. Of an unorganized religion form. (IE: God is simply a higher divine being or a sentient consciousness of the universe/nature. For example, Mother Nature) (14 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

3. I do not believe in God but I believe in an unconscious organization to the universe. (9 votes [12.16%])

Percentage of vote: 12.16%

4. I do not believe in God at all. There is no one at work behind the scenes. Everything is random. (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

5. None of the above. (20 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Han

Han

When all else fails, use fire.

• Islander
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 06:51 PM

So what do you believe in? Just curious to know.  :blush:  Feel free to post/or not post what you believe. :) No debates, no criticism or analysis. Just an exchange of beliefs.

(Edited to clarify choices)

My apologies everyone for the wording. This poll was created on a spur of the moment after reading the bible thread. I should have made things clearer.

The first choice was intended as whether you believed in a particular, "commonly recognized" god. For example, the Christian God or the Buddha's pantheon of gods or the Catholic God or the Hindu God, etc. A God described by a organized form of religion.

The second choice describes Gods/Divine beings that are not usually "commonly recognized" as gods. For example, Wiccan divine entities, Mother Nature, Father Heaven, etc. (Note, this isn't to say that Wicca is not a valid religion, just not a commonly known one).

The third choice says there are no God(s) but the universe itself has a way of working things out. Unconsciously structuring itself to become a form of some sort. This is where I would put things like Karma, where if you do something good, somehow it will be returned.

The last choice is for pure atheists. There is no God at all. Everything is random. And to clarify the everything is random thing, it means there are no divine or outside forces at work to influence events other than the actions of the individual themselves.

I was trying to create a spectrum of choices from a specific belief in a specific form of god towards no belief in any divine entities at all. I hope I haven't screwed up anyone's voting.  

--
Han

Edited by Hankuang, 24 June 2003 - 03:55 AM.

Han

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 06:56 PM

Chalk me down for a healthy dose of "Damned if I knew" (literally).

;).
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:00 PM

I'm not sure where I fit in... Some days I believe in a God who loves all beings and who doesn't pass judgement on others... On others, I'm so pissed off at humanity in general that I wonder why I bother trying to believe.

So, I'm with Rov. ;) Ultimately, I chose "None of the above."

Edited by Josh, 23 June 2003 - 08:10 PM.

"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:00 PM

I would have voted for choice number 2 if worded to characterize it as a higher being without calling it "God".

Thus I voted, "none of the above".

Lil
Posted Image

#5 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:37 PM

Mine probably fits into 2 best. Though I was raised a church goer, I'm not too big on organized religion.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#6 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:51 PM

I was pleased to see there was a choice for a non-Earth deity, so I chose that. If someone asks me if I believe in God, I have to ask them to be specific. Are they asking if I believe in a Christian god? Hindu god? Muslim god? Or Buddha? From the wonders of the universe (as seen fleetingly by the Hubble Space Telescope) I cannot see how any Earth-based deity has anything to do with all of that.

A God who spends all of his time worrying about a tribe of nomads on the eastern shore of the Mediterranean could have nothing to do with creating all of that. So do I believe there is a God? It's possible, but 1) he'd have nothing to do with any ridiculous Earth religion that we've devised and 2) the universe doesn't require one to exist.

-Ogami

Edited by Ogami, 23 June 2003 - 08:52 PM.

#7 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:08 PM

"Everything is random"?! How in the world did that get into the "No God" option?! That's bound to force lots of people who don't believe in God to vote "no vote" just because it's obviously untrue that "everything is random" regardless of what one thinks about God. That's nothing but a Creationist attack against atheism and evolution.

Edited by Delvo, 23 June 2003 - 11:19 PM.

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:23 AM

^^So, the "unconscious organization" one doesn't work for you?

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:25 AM

I chose option 2, but it isn't truly reflective of my beliefs, since the term "simply" doesn't really fit.  Nor does the indefinite article. The sentiment is wrong.  

Apply an organized religion concept of God to the naturalistic one, and we are coming closer to my beliefs.

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 24 June 2003 - 12:26 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:00 AM

I voted for #1, simply because it's closer to what I believe, at least based on the wordings available...

I probably should have chosen "None of the above" in retrospect, but...

*shrug*
cervisiam tene rem specta

#11 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:21 AM

I chose no god, no organization, although that isn't *strictly* true.  All things have an order to them--basic-level science teaches that much. :p  But still, no god. :)
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:04 AM

None of the above

i'm a reincarnationist

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#13 Brynhilde

Brynhilde

An ardent admirer

• Islander
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:08 AM

I don't believe in God but I do believe there is something... I just don't know what.

The truth is out there :ninja:
"Ah, get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
Please her, please him, buy gifts
Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift..."

~ Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

#14 MovieImp

MovieImp

Ka-Bloomie!

• Islander
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:17 AM

I'm in the don't really believe it but kinda hope so.  I guess I'll just be pleasantly surprised if it's true one day.  

Just as a strange thought on a TV Show way.  Wonder what the Stargate personnel believe these days.  They met "the gods" so to speak and found they are usally aliens.  Gives a new slant to the resurrection of Christ doesn't it.  Makes you wonder if that wouldn't be an interesting episode.
It's a Girl Thing Sparkle!

#15 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:21 AM

I look at the results of the poll so far and the responses and find it interesting that at this point more people list themselves as Christians yet none of them respond. Since I talk with many of my fellow Christians I know most say nothing out of fear. They are afraid that professing their faith will brand them as evil, wrong, outsider or what ever. (And no, I'm not saying that is what would happen, I am saying that is the feeling.) It does seem that Christianity is the only religion that does not have protection in many people's minds. (AGAIN, I am not pointing fingers, I want non-Chritisans to understand why there seems to be so many Chritians here that seldom say they are.)

Well, except loudmouthed LoP ;)

#16 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:38 AM

*sigh*  Okay, I debated whether to say this, but I'm going to anyway.

They are afraid that professing their faith will brand them as evil, wrong, outsider or what ever.

Forgive me if I'm something less than sympathetic.  I'm not "afraid" that I might be branded this for my faith.  I *have* been branded as evil, wrong, an outsider, mislead, heartless, and a million other horrid things, just for simply not believing in a god.  So. . .forgive me if I just can't find it in my heart to feel bad for all those poor harrassed Christians out there.
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#17 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:46 AM

silverwind, on Jun 23 2003, 07:39 AM, said:

*sigh*  Okay, I debated whether to say this, but I'm going to anyway.

They are afraid that professing their faith will brand them as evil, wrong, outsider or what ever.

Forgive me if I'm something less than sympathetic.  I'm not "afraid" that I might be branded this for my faith.  I *have* been branded as evil, wrong, an outsider, mislead, heartless, and a million other horrid things, just for simply not believing in a god.  So. . .forgive me if I just can't find it in my heart to feel bad for all those poor harrassed Christians out there.
No one should be treated like that for their faith...PERIOD!

Many so called Christians have damaged the image of true Christians by doing and saying such nonsense. They are wrong. But, and I say this at my own peril, I feel you are just as wrong by branding all Christians the same and pretty mush saying it is okay to treat them the same. I see this as just as narrow minded as those that attack you for your ideals.

It's all wrong as far as I am concerned.

And Silverwind, don't get me wrong I am holding nothing against you, I do understand but as the saying goes "Two wrongs don't make a right". :)

I hope some day you get to interact with Christians that practice what Jesus teaches.

LoP

#18 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:47 AM

Well, I was raised as a Catholic, so I voted for number one. Yes, I do believe in God.

However, doesn't mean I always agree with the boy. In fact, me and him haven't been on speaking terms for a number of years.

Instead, we have a understanding...if you will

He doesn't come into my house, and I don't go into his.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#19 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:48 AM

Agreed, it's very difficult to say anything and I'm not someone who is overly shy about it.  Mostly, though, it's just really tiring.  Most people are just too happy to brand a system they don't believe in to be "hate", even though many of the examples that they point to are not integral to the practice of that religion.  If I identify as a Catholic these days, I won't hear anything about transubstantiation, but I'll get my ear talked off about pedophile priests, as if that was somehow part of the religion.  Or about the Inquisition or something like that.  Big yawn.  People who start talking about that I generally end up avoiding because they can't move beyond the fact that humans are going to mess up, even when given the yellow brick road to happiness.  

An organized Church doesn't really mean anything other than it's organized.  If it was unorganized, it would have it's own peculiar failings.  It also might be an issue of the times.  Organization is a survival reaction in humans.  Today, a lot of more personalized religions and beliefs are cropping up (in the West anyway) for the most part, I'd say, due to better mobility, education and availbility of material on less common practices.  If Christianity got it's start today, it might well be better off if it started less organized, but certainly when it started, Christian believers would have had to organize to actually survive, preach in the ancient world, and then later, to handle rapid growth and a worldwide population of adherents.  

As far as diversity goes, I just find the rationalization that the existence of other religions, and Christianity's denial of them makes Christianity wrong.  After all, Chrstianity is hardly alone in denying the complete truth of other religions.  Further, I do accept that some other religions have good things to say, but since they're already covered in Christianity better, so there's no need to encourage less effectual paths.  Tolerate them, certainly, but never view them as equals.

It's one thing to be non-Christian and pick and choose from here and there the best path, it's another thing to be a Christian and realize that, for the most part, you've been handed the right path.  Sure, humans have the freedom to be wrong, but that doesn't mean we have to revel in it.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#20 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:56 AM

Uncle Sid, thank you for saying that.

Without agreeing with you on many points of faith, I really appreciate your courage to say what must be true of any believer - it is what makes believers believers!

You absolutely must believe that your path is the right path, and others not so much, or else  you wouldn't have chosen your path.  Yes, I know there are some who believe that the path they chose is the one that "works for them."  And that system of faith is fine - but there are some religions that teach that their way is THE way, and being tolerant of a believer in those religions means *to me* that understanding and being tolerant of those people means recognizing that this is their truth, and that they will speak from it, and have a right - and even a responsibility to do so.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Spirituality, Atheism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users