Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

The God Poll

Religion Spirituality Atheism

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: The God Poll (79 member(s) have cast votes)

The God Poll

1. I believe in God. Of an organized religion form. (IE: The Christian God) (27 votes [36.49%])

Percentage of vote: 36.49%

2. I believe in God. Of an unorganized religion form. (IE: God is simply a higher divine being or a sentient consciousness of the universe/nature. For example, Mother Nature) (14 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

3. I do not believe in God but I believe in an unconscious organization to the universe. (9 votes [12.16%])

Percentage of vote: 12.16%

4. I do not believe in God at all. There is no one at work behind the scenes. Everything is random. (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

5. None of the above. (20 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Phoenix

Phoenix
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:35 PM

<de-lurk>
I'm more or less Wiccan, so number 2 fits best.
Was gonna say more, but decided in a fit of good manners to keep my friggin' mouth shut...
</lurk>

#42 ArmourMe

ArmourMe
  • Islander
  • 500 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 03:59 PM

(returns to OT after 2 days immersed in Order of the Phoenix :D )

I'm animist (think Native American spirituality).  I believe everything in the universe has spirit/energy/chi/whatever you care to call it.  I believe there is a desire/plan/built in energy towards growth and diversity in the universe...and I believe love is one of many diverse expressions of this intention :)

I believe that pattern pervades the universe (fractal patterns?  who knows).  I believe my life is a small pattern part of the larger universe pattern that is so vast I cannot percieve even a fraction of the whole thing.  I believe that universal pattern is so well organized it looks like intelligence to something as small as myself...however I don't believe there is any sentients in the pattern.  I believe scale doesn't have nearly the importance that our culture w/ its focus on linear geometry thinks that scale does.  Small patterns in chaos at a pivotal place, for example, can cause vast unpredictable changes in the pattern.  My size or relative unimportance has no bearing on how pivotal I may or may not be in the pattern of the universe......therefore nothing I do is without significance.  

Beliving all of the above, I'm very glad that chaotic systems tend to be very robust - having a bad day or a bad year shouldn't destroy the pattern :D  :crazy:  :ninja:

I believe prayer/meditation/focus/intention/directed energy can help you draw to you the things in your life that are part of the pattern of your life (though not allow you any "total control" :) )

My daily spirituality expresses itself in my behaviour (I'm good :D); my constant striving toward growth  -everything from deep study of instinctive parenting, to personal healing from an abusive childhood, meditation, eating the food of non-tortured creatures, fairness & gentleness to everyone around me, honesty, compassion, unconditional love.....  I feel profoundly connected to the planet, the universe, all energy in the universe.  This feeling has always been present with me - I've never in my darkest moments not felt it.  When I was doing a lot of intensive healing work from a very abusive childhood I felt that deep well of inexhaustable connection to the love force of the universe most strongly....and now raising my children I feel it and see it on a daily basis.

I'm a healer - a massage therapist who has focused most of my learning on energetic healing.  I feel the energy field, can help it unblock to heal itself, I see the primary color aura & can read injuries to it & tell basically what kind of injury/time frame might be going on.  I take these healing gifts very seriously and personally.  I believe that people's patterns are their own to seek & to heal - I don't predict or inform people about their OWN patterns. Only we know ourselves that intimately :)  Its no one elses job :D  I am honored whenever someone comes to me to let me help them & wittness them heal.

With these gifts, its not hard to see why I believe what I believe.  My beliefs haven't changed since I was about 6 years old & started thinking about spirituality (rather than just living as an innocent :)).  They've only matured and blossomed.  Therefore I take it quite seriously that our legal definition of "faith" only includes "organized faith."  My spirituality is not recognized or protected by our government eventhough I"ve practiced it consistantly for 26 years!  If I choose not to vaccinate my children for a mixed set of reasons (both medical as well as spiritual) I have no protection if the government decides to interfere in my life.  If I were Mennonite....I'd have that protection.

I live a life dedicated to "doing right" by most every definition - you'd like me :D  Hard to believe I"m going straight to hell in this nice spiffy handbasket  :rolleyes:  :p  ;)

:yin-yang:

#43 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:30 PM

silverwind, on Jun 23 2003, 11:58 AM, said:

My only point is that I've grown tired of Christians who constantly act as though they are the ones society treads upon.
And I've grown tired of non-Christians who constantly act as though they are the ones society threads upon.

No, I'm not calling you one, but there's a definite group of people in this world who consider themselves so very mistreated by Christians.  I've noticed the attitude several times in recent discussions.

It bugs me because, really, is there anyone here who hasn't gotten grief for their spiritual beliefs?  That's intended as a rheorical question, but if there's anyone who can honestly say that they haven't, by all means tell me so because such people are far too rare.

Personally, I try to put aside that kind of emotional baggage in religious discussions, and for that matter in life in general.  Everyone can share multiple experiences of how someone with different views trampled on their own.  Perhaps we can all admit that-- admit that, yes, too often people are more free in their criticisms of Christianity than they are with any other religion and yes, too often Christians quickly dismiss people based on their lifestyles-- and move on?  

Nursing those wounds tends to lead to a sort of self-righteous indignation.  People start feeling they have a right to bash a belief because someone of that belief once bashed them.  All that does is generates even more ill feelings on every side, and I don't know of any value system in which that's considered a good thing.

(Sorry if this a rant or a little off-topic, but it's something I've been thinking about for a few days after reading a few posts in this forum.  And as for my beliefs on God... I wonder if anyone here can guess that...)

#44 Gvambat

Gvambat
  • Islander
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 05:12 PM

Voted Other.

I'm agnostic with a large dash of cultural relativism, so while my own beliefs lean away from an interveaning God and away from making concrete statements about religion since I havn't much of a clue, I'll tend to say that if someone else has a belief system that works for them (and does not involve harming others) then it is true for them, or close enough to make no difference.

I came close to voting for the unconscious order of the universe since I'm pretty firmly convinced there is one, but I'd have to say that I am not convinced that order connects to a concept of God of any definition, for me at least.
Electrons behave like waves on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; like particles on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and like nothing at all on Sundays.

#45 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 03:06 PM

I'm "other."

And, at the risk of offending those who strongly believe otherwise, I find most of today's organized religions to be superstitious holdovers from the days when primitive and unsophisticated people sought desperately for a SuperDaddy who would be in charge of things and would, if they were good girls and boys, protect them and reward them.

I find it sort of sad that the USofA is about the last major Western country where these outmoded superstitions hold such sway.

I think people should grow up, accept that they have to make their own decisions and take the consequences, and live with a certain amount of randomness.

I do understand that people "take comfort" in their religion, especially when things are bad. I understand the dichotomy of the thinking, sentient brain that is sophisticated enough to see itself as unique in creation and yet unable to contemplate its own dissolution with acceptance. I just don't think there's a Big Daddy in charge.

I do not...I do not deny the potential for something we cannot comprehend and because of that I don't (normally) diss the concept of religion. I do, however, very much disapprove of the forms it takes.

Really. Not meaning to offend, okay?  But you asked. :)

Edited by AnneZo, 25 June 2003 - 03:10 PM.

#46 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:06 PM

Atheist. Go random :D
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#47 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 11:33 AM

I cant really explain easially what I believe, but the universe is energy and matter, everything can be connected to that.  Both of them are not in any way "Random," just after X tillion years everything becomes too different to see any pattern in anymore.  Even what we think of a descisions are electrical signals running through our brain and when they reach another nuron, that's nuron reaction might be to send it on another path, it might stop it, or it might just keep it going.  It is that simple, and when we think, this is going on so fast that it seems like complex thoughts, simply because our own brains work faster than they can think it working (if you can understand that good job :p)

I actually believe that time is an illusion, time is a representation of the speed we think, and the changing of the universe.  I believe that the only way to travel through time is to go forward, the only way to go backwards would be to recreate the entire universe into what someone or something remembers it as.  
I also believe that in theory you could calculate every bit of energy and every bit of matter that came from the black hole, and you could theoretically do this faster than it actally could happen, you could calculate to preciceness what the world would be like in the future, to 100% accuracy.  BUT it is impossible to calculate the universe faster than the universe calculates it'self.

I don't want a full blown science discussion here :p but what I chose was that "I dont believe in god, but I think there is an orginization to the universe."
[EDIT] I should have selected the 4th selection, I didnt read the first post before I voted :( even if I feel that nothing is truly random, nothing IS random, there are just things that are random enough for our minds to not comprehend whats behind it.  Before you win the lottery you may think that I have a .0001% chance to win, and you may thnk you HAD a .0001% chance to win after you won, but I think that you HAD a 100% chance to win, just there is too many factors included in it to predict it ever.

So that is my 2 cents, or 2 quadrillion electrons protons neutrons and some energy along with it :)

PS I dont believe for a second that we should cece to live simply because we are making discisions that couldnt really happen any other way... Because of the infinateness of the universes pattern, it is just as good as makeing those discisions for ourselves ;)

PPS: I dont think there is any room for an all powerfull being within what we know of the universe, because everything is bound by light speed, matter, energy, even thoughts and ideas, for it to work, god's thoughts would have to move faster than light.

Actually I think I can sum up what my thoughts on the universe are, if you know what the game called LIFE is, it is a little like an infinite life grid, with a simple pattern to start with, and you hit the play button, and after 100,000,000,000,000 generations you have the universe as it is today.  In no way is it random, just what came of the rules of phisics and chemistry, and X trillion years to get all jumbled up with each other, ending in who knows what, and far beyond the human minds ability to understand.

Edited by Zanthra, 07 July 2003 - 12:38 PM.

#48 fallenangel

fallenangel
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:26 AM

I believe, Iam a christian, which some people think is all about going to Church and rules and boring stuff,but it's not. It is about a personal relationship with My maker and saviour. I do like cool stuff, i'm no square!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Spirituality, Atheism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users