• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

I see everyone is trying to see how close they can sidle up to that line without crossing it

Can someone simultaneously be bored tired, and bothered?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

As an atheist, I'd should thank Fred Phelps and John Gibson (I don't care if he's not considered a religious figure by most; FOXNewsism is a religion, and besides, nobody but a televangelist would have hair like that) for all their hard work in misrepresenting their religion, because if they keep it up it'll be declared irrelevant and discarded far sooner than I'd thought, and we can all move on.  

But, on the behalf of the many cool people I know who do practice the religion in a better way, I look forward to their eventual demise.  I won't protest their funerals... I'll just celebrate them.  In fact, I'll build monuments over their graves:  The Fred Phelps Memorial Dance Floor, with adjacent John Gibson Memorial Urinal ("Flush twice - Hell's a long way off!")

If anybody is so threatened by "gaydom" that they're willing to mock an actor's death because he once played a gay character... then they are gay and living in terror that somebody's gonna find out.  Just give it up, Fred and John, we know, it's okay, and you're free to make out with each other now.

Cheers,

Zwolf

Edited by Zwolf, 24 January 2008 - 11:23 AM.

"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#23 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

View Postsierraleone, on Jan 24 2008, 05:09 PM, said:

I see everyone is trying to see how close they can sidle up to that line without crossing it

Can someone simultaneously be bored tired, and bothered?

Yes.  It happens commonly to parents. ;)

Peridot
Posted Image

#24 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:25 PM

View PostPicturesque Poison, on Jan 24 2008, 01:32 AM, said:

Oh my God!

They do realise that he PLAYED a gay character right, Ledger was not actually gay....

....maybe if we force these nuts to watch Torchwood, they might explode,

This group has "picketed" the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq or Afghanistan, (because, you know, the US really supports gay rights so strongly...), the memorial service for a well-known and well-loved TV personality who had a children's show for many years (because, apparently, he "looked" gay...(??)), the funeral of at least one murder victim, and let's just hope they don't know the lyrics to "Deck the Halls", because they might picket that too.

And what NeuralClone said...

View PostNeuralClone, on Jan 24 2008, 01:40 AM, said:

There is absolutely no distinction for these people. At all. The character was gay and therefore Ledger himself must pay for promoting "homosexual behavior." They will use any excuse they can find to promote hatred and then they'll attempt to hide behind their supposed Christianity. Truly sick people.

They've tried to come to Maine before (my home state) and people threatened them to prevent them from crossing state borders. They haven't tried to come back as far as I know.

There was one town in I believe Tennesee where they were literally chased out of town as soon as their permit expired...

One of the dangers with a group like this is that they are so very hateful, it becomes easy to feel angry and even hateful in return.  I like to think of what they have to offer as being like a piece of disgustingly moldy cheese or rotten fruit....and then I can just say to myself, "No thank you, I'm not having any of that in my mind!!"

Just a thought, you know....

Peridot
Posted Image

#25 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

View PostCheile, on Jan 23 2008, 10:49 PM, said:

if the fake Reverend and his pack of inbreds dare to show up at Heath's funeral, something tells me they're much more highly likely to get EXACTLY what they deserve--because unlike those mourning the death of soldiers, there are probly going to be fans and others who either will strike out for real OR someone else in the industry with powerful connections that will get their asses thrown in jail where they belong for their hate speech.

personally i'd like to see the former--let a grieving fan who happens to be packing exterminate the fake Reverend and a few of his spawn.  then they can find out for sure whether or not Heath is "going to hell".  :smirk:

I was really hoping that they would pack up and go on down to the funeral. I don't think the4y would get by there, as their laws are diferent then ours.
Can't Touch This!!

#26 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jan 24 2008, 08:11 AM, said:

I'd like for someone to toss Fox's John Gibson into the woodchipper, too:

http://thinkprogress...n-mocks-ledger/

Why is this guy paid for his petty, ignorant, un-funny commentary? And apparently Brokeback Mountain was such a threat to him that he has to mock this young "weirdo" 's death to prove his own manhood or something.

Disgusting.
As one of the comments stated: WDWJM? Who’s Death Would Jesus Mock?
A person does not have to be Christian to know that Jesus would not approve and if the son of God doesn't, why would God?

Truly sick for gibson to think this is a Christian way to talk.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#27 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:02 PM

View PostZwolf, on Jan 24 2008, 04:21 PM, said:

If anybody is so threatened by "gaydom" that they're willing to mock an actor's death because he once played a gay character... then they are gay and living in terror that somebody's gonna find out.  Just give it up, Fred and John, we know, it's okay, and you're free to make out with each other now.

Cheers,

Zwolf

Zwolf for the win! :cool:

I had this epiphany myself.

Anybody who is THAT bothered by what two adults to in privacy on their own time....is terrified that they are gay as well. There has to be SOMETHING to drive that terror and hate. It takes energy to hate something THAT MUCH. That energy has to come from something and that something is terror that they are what they hate.

And the thing that pisses me off is I don't get WHY? I really don't. How the hell does a stranger having sex with another  stranger affect you AT ALL? Is your life so empty and useless that you need to seek outrage in somebody's life? I barely have time in the day to deal with everything that goes on in my life to worry if Dan and Joe down the street having sex with each other is going to magically change the gay balance in my inner psyche and with a POOF of pixie dust make me gay or maybe my wife or cats....which would probably be a surprise to my wife....and me....and my cats.  (or is that Pat Robertson's theory? No, I think he was the one who thought gay energy waves would call down a holy asteroid to smite us all or something......)

And while I am asking questions that will never be answered because to answer them would shine light on the whole overwhelming stupidity of the bigotry that drives these lunatics, why does something that calls itself a church (I don't buy that at all but that is what they call themselves....) give a CRAP if Heath Ledger ever played a gay person? And how do you get to picketing his funeral (or any funeral for that matter)a religious ceremony which is probably invoking the diety you supposedly worship?

enTranced - who blames his man love for Ben Browder on gay energy waves every day.

Edited by enTranced, 24 January 2008 - 01:05 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

They are a comedy troup now, what they say is disgusting but it's so over the top, most people revile them.   G says they should be able to say what they want, this is true, but I believe everyone's, and I mean everyone's, even the Falwell types, funerals should be off limits.  There is a time and place for everything, and some degree of privacy grieving families and friends deserve.    Why is homosexuality their holy grail issue?  Why not all the sins?  I don't want him on our team but lord if the devil probably isn't tempting him, lol.   Gotta love the man candy.  There needs to be a troup of drag queens to follow them around, at Matthew Sheppard's funeral they had people in angel costumes block his little group.  I'd contribute to operation queen ride.

#29 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

See, people like this group, that want to distrupt a funeral to push their own agenda...are the main reason why some feel that vigilantism is a GOOD thing.

I would make calls for vigilantism against this group, but honestly...have better things to do.

Think I'll go play some Call Of Duty 4.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#30 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:20 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on Jan 24 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

See, people like this group, that want to distrupt a funeral to push their own agenda...are the main reason why some feel that vigilantism is a GOOD thing.

I would make calls for vigilantism against this group, but honestly...have better things to do.

Think I'll go play some Call Of Duty 4.

I do not disagree LotS but is irritating to see the same people who say vigilantism is wrong go off like they cannot have justice and that how they wish something would happen to these people. I guess they are the folks who want somone else to do something.  Just like liberals Oh I dare not do the deed I will just keep wishing and speaking out and someone might just do it because I will not lower myself to that.

But I will reap the rewards that come from someone else doing what I want done but lack the nerve to do it myself.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#31 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

View PostRunaway Train, on Jan 24 2008, 06:08 PM, said:

Why is homosexuality their holy grail issue?

Efficiency.

It's easy to hate gays and anybody who feels the slightest twinge of "NOT RIGHT!" when they see a gay couple walk by. I used to feel it until I found out a close family member was gay years ago and now it's normal as having blue eyes to me but I felt it and their hate speaks to that twinge. And they need you to hate because if you hate then you will give them cash so they can preach their hate to everyone.

And it works out as long as their are children born with blue eyes there will also be children born gay and so they will always be able to preach hate of gays and they will have their payday into infinity.

enTranced
Posted Image

#32 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

Well, as weird and disgusting as HBC is, they do have the right to free speech here in the US. They don't have the right to trample over anyone else's rights in order to do that.

Interesting note - I first heard this on an am talk radio station that usually has all the conservative talk show hosts (they also have the news and traffic more often than anyone else).

I came home and did a search on the net, and the only major news entity that was reporting it was Fox News.

FBC has the right to free speech, we have the right to ignore them....

#33 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

View PostRunaway Train, on Jan 24 2008, 01:08 PM, said:

Because they see it as wrong. Maybe because you can find other folks who will agree with them on the others is the reason those other sins are not as loudly talked about.

You know like we all say child molestation is wrong why preach to the chior when there is much that needs to be said. In their opinion.

Edited by G1223, 24 January 2008 - 02:17 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#34 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

View PostShoshana, on Jan 24 2008, 01:28 PM, said:

FBC has the right to free speech, we have the right to ignore them....

Kinda hard to do that when the scumbags are protesting the funeral that you happen to be attending, lest say. And extremely hard to do that if your at the funeral listening them call your friend, or loved one, disgusting and hateful names....

IMO, yeah they have the right to say and think these things...but at a funeral is neither the time nor the place.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#35 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 24 2008, 07:16 PM, said:

Because they see it as wrong. Maybe because you can find other folks who will agree with them on the others is the reason those other sins are not as loudly talked about.

You know like we all say child molestation is wrong why preach to the chior when there is much that needs to be said. In their opinion.

Way to link homosexuality with child molestation. :barf:

Well done.

Time of thread death : 8:10 : ExIsle Time.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 24 January 2008 - 03:11 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

View PostenTranced, on Jan 24 2008, 02:09 PM, said:

enTranced

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.  I hope that wasn't his intent.  Well, they can preach to high heaven on gay issues and guess what? That's all it is at the end of the day, their opinion, until they want to curtail someone else's freedoms based on their own personal moral code.  Besides, if it's to be believed, God takes people out all the time, all that traveling to and fro they could very well have an accident on their way to a protest, and we'll have to take it as a sign.

Edited by Runaway Train, 24 January 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#37 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 24 2008, 11:16 AM, said:

You have just hit a new low, G. And that's saying something.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#38 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

View PostRunaway Train, on Jan 24 2008, 08:13 PM, said:

View PostenTranced, on Jan 24 2008, 02:09 PM, said:

enTranced

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.  I hope that wasn't his intent.  

Sure he just happened to reach for the child molestation card in a gay discussion.  Hey, I just happen to have this bridge I want to sell, you interested? ;)

Well, they can preach to high heaven on gay issues and guess what? That's all it is at the end of the day, their opinion, until they want to curtail someone else's freedoms based on their own personal moral code.  Besides, if it's to be believed, God takes people out all the time, all that traveling to and fro they could very well have an accident on their way to a protest, and we'll have to take it as a sign.

Well said!

The only problem is we have folks in the US Presidential race that DO want to use their moral code to curtail freedoms. That is why this crap is so damn serious now. They are starting to play for keeps and we have to realize that before President Hucklebee* builds his Quarantine Zones because only gay people get AIDS after all.....sorry there just isn't enough eye rolling smileys for that one but....  :rolleyes:

enTranced

I can't wait to have a beer with him he is so down to Earth! :barf:

Edited by enTranced, 24 January 2008 - 03:25 PM.

Posted Image

#39 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

I do not disagree LotS but is irritating to see the same people who say vigilantism is wrong go off like they cannot have justice and that how they wish something would happen to these people. I guess they are the folks who want somone else to do something. Just like liberals Oh I dare not do the deed I will just keep wishing and speaking out and someone might just do it because I will not lower myself to that.

But I will reap the rewards that come from someone else doing what I want done but lack the nerve to do it myself.

Ah, I think people just react that way 'cuz they get frustrated with Phelp's tactics.  They're pretty transparent and exceedingly a-holish.  You can't really deal with Phelps on an intellectual level, 'cuz he's such a pitiful c*nt, and he knows it, so he tries his damnedest to pick fights.  But if you engage him,  then he'll just go off and whine to whoever will listen that he's the one being persecuted by those mean ol' gays or whoever his target of the day may be... and the fact that he's been baiting 'em is irrelevant.

See, here's what Phelps does:  he baits and baits and baits.  Most of what he says is complete nonsense, really inarticulate junk with no worthwhile thought behind it, and all of it really a disgrace to his side of the argument... but it's about all he's capable of, and he's sure it'll provoke a reaction.  Bait bait bait bait bait.   He wants somebody to hit 'im for what he's saying, he's prayin' for it, 'cuz that'll give him some kind of significance, something to run-tell-mama 'bout, something to make "the other guy" seem like a big ol' nassymeanie.   To his dimwitted stunted-intellectual-runt-of-a-nothing way of thinking, it even provides him justification.   If he can say enough denigrating stuff about his opponents (bait! bait! bait!) then eventually - if he gets what he wants (and deserves) - they'll smack him.   Then he can rush off to the courts or the media or whatever the real-world equivalent of AQG is, and whine that he's getting picked on and there's a bias against people with his point of view... and, all  that baiting and provoking and fight-picking he was doing will - he stupidly (oh-so-amazingly-stupidly) thinks - not be taken into consideration.  Irrrrrrrrrelevant.  

Mainly, he's trying hard to deserve a beatdown, so, when he gets it, he can claim he didn't deserve it and was being picked on and persecuted and a victim of a double-standard and what-not.  It's immature and insecure, but, that's the software he's running on.

See, Phelps operates on the intellectual level of, say, a grubworm.  He's so focused on himself and his dimbulb agenda that he can fool himself into thinking that people aren't onto his tricks.  He doesn't realize how evident it is to everyone that he's set up a self-fullfilling prophecy.  

So, people would like to smack him, sure.   He's wholly deserving of it, o' course, but here's the trick: he thinks it'll mean that he wins.   It's on account of him being a worthless nothin', incapable of being able to keep up through intellect and therefore trying to become significant by baiting somebody to persecute him.  It's an old pattern, you see it everywhere.  There's a weird mindset in some segments of society that seeks victim-status... like, whoever's the biggest loser magically gets to be the winner.  

Guys like Phelps want to be the-one-most-picked-on.  Somehow they feel that if they're pesecuted, they win.  And any persecuting they have to do themselves along the way won't matter, just as long as they can get somebody to hit 'em with a rock at some point.

It's a weird, sick, pathetic way to live, but, surprisingly, some people are just that way.  They hit and hit and hit just so somebody'll finally hit 'em back and then they can cryyyyyy "so-and-so hit meeeee!"  The big ol' meanies, pickin' on that poor innocent ill-equipped little daffodil.

It gets so transparent that, after a while, it almost gets cute.  Cute as a baby's mitten!  :)

I mean, look at the goof.  Substandard in every way.  He's old, he's frail, he's of low intelligence... he can't really engage anybody on an even level either physically or intellectually.   So the only way he can "win" is if he can make himself look like he's being victimized by the system.  So inadequate that he's almost lovable in a Fudd sorta way.

So, he's into baiting.  Oh, he's a big-time master baiter.  Provoke the gay people or anybody sane and well-adjusted enough not to be terrified by the mere existence of gay people, and gain significance if he gets smacked down.  It's real easy... or he wouldn't'a thought of it.  Pick some schoolyard taunt ("fags!") and hope it pushes some buttons and can make a martyr of ya.  

See, he's learned that he can take advantage of bitching about being persecuted to get away with all kinds of heinous behavior.  Cry "I'm picked on!" enough and people will go out of their way to avoid "justifying" ya that they'll never drop the hammer.  So, Fred gets to skate.

If ya really want to send these guys scurrying for the baseboards, you gotta play with 'em a little.   Be a wasscaly wabbit.  Pretend you're as dumb as they are, and - what's more - pretend you're as dumb as they think you are.  Make 'em think it's working, help them fool themselves, and then use their psyche like a Gnip Gnop.  I mean, really, look at it as an opportunity.  Few things spell happy-happy-funtime like an imbecile trying to start a chess match. :)

Yep, loathesome as they are, there's some fun to be had with guys like Phelps, if one is but evil enough.  :devil:

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#40 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

edit

Edited by Godeskian, 24 January 2008 - 04:32 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Heath Ledger, Actor, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users