4 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:46 AM

Harry R. Landis, 108; one of last U.S. veterans of WW1

Harry Richard Landis, who enlisted in the Army in 1918 and was one of only two known surviving U.S. veterans of World War I, has died in Florida. He was 108.

Landis, who lived at a Sun City Center nursing home, died Monday, according to Donna Riley, his caregiver for the last five years. He had recently been hospitalized with a fever and low blood pressure, she said.

The remaining U.S. veteran is Frank Buckles, 107, of Charles Town, W.Va., according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. In addition, John Babcock of Spokane, Wash., 107, served in the Canadian army and is the last known Canadian veteran of the war.

The last known German World War I veteran, Erich Kaestner, died New Year's Day at 107.
The last woman veteran of WWI died last March.  

Landis trained as a U.S. Army recruit at the end of the war and never went overseas. But the Department of Veterans Affairs counts him among the 4.7 million men and women who served during the Great War.

In an interview with the Associated Press last April, Landis recalled that his time in the Student Army Training Corps involved a lot of marching.

"We went to school in the afternoon and drilled in the morning," said Landis, who enlisted while in college in Fayette, Mo., at age 18.

"We got our uniforms a bit at a time. Got the whole uniform just before the war ended," Landis said. "Fortunately, we got our great coats first. It was very cold out there."

He told reporters in earlier interviews that he spent a lot of time cleaning up a makeshift sick ward and caring for recruits sickened by an influenza pandemic.

He signed up to fight in World War II in 1941, but at age 42 was rejected as too old....
Rest in peace.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

Rest in Peace Harry Landis.

For anyone who is interested, Wikipedia has an article listing the Surviving veterans of World War I

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#3 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:28 AM

And a living piece of history passes away into eternity...no more memoirs, no more campfire discussions with the grandkids, and great grandkids, no more this is what grandpappy did in the great war, kids, only the dry, soulless voice of the written record and the debatable objectivity of the historian to remind us of a now abstract textbook conflict that redrew the face of the world, that destroyed and rose empires, that fractured the middle east, africa, europe, asia,  and made possible the rise of nazism, fascism, communism, the war to end all wars, the apocalypse that decimated a generation and would prove to be the catalyst for virtually every other major regional and world conflict for a century to come.  

Kinda appalling that the average joe in the street knows so little about this, isn't it?

#4 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:28 AM

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

-Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

Rest In Peace, Harry Landis

*salute*

D'

#5 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

Salute

:down:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Harry R. Landis, WWI Vet, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users