3 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

http://www.abcnews.g...e...&id=4271246

A Purdue University study released Sunday in the journal Behavioral Neuroscience reported that rats on diets containing the artificial sweetener saccharin gained more weight than rats given sugary food, casting doubt on the benefits of low-calorie sweeteners.

"There's something about diet foods that changes your metabolic limit, your brain chemistry," said ABC News' medical contributor Dr. Marie Savard.
Savard said another recent study, which included more than 18,000 people, found healthy adults who consumed at least one diet drink a day could increase their chance for weight gain.

In the Purdue study, the rats whose diets contained artificial sweeteners appeared to experience a physiological connection between sweet tastes and calories, which drove them to overeat.

"The taste buds taste sweet, but there's no calorie load that comes with it. There's a mismatch here. It seems it changes your brain chemistry in some way," Savard said.
Because so many foods today contain artificial sweeteners, the study results may go beyond diet drinks.

"The truth is, we're putting artificial sweetener in so many different things in water, in yogurt," Savard said. It's unclear if the results only adhere to diet sodas, she said.

Saccharin is actually banned where I live (Canada), so if this is the only artificial sweetner in the rat study, doesn't actually affect me.

What it seems to me to be saying, is because there is no calories associated with the sweet taste, the rats brain chemistry went haywire, and they got more hungry and consumed more. So its not that the artificial sweetner *cause* the rats to gain weight, it caused them to feel more hungry and consume more, leading to weight gain. They don't say what controls (if any) was in the adult study. They may have been doing what the rats did.

But does anyone have some good knowledge on this subject?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

I use Splenda. I am waiting to hear about it's problems.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:40 PM

View PostG1223, on Feb 11 2008, 12:31 PM, said:

I use Splenda. I am waiting to hear about it's problems.

Yep :D theres also some study that comes out saying something is bad or good... which is usually different from last time ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

This isn't news

I remember talking about this quite a bit some of my classes back in college (ok ok, so I graduted a year and a half ago)

Artitifical sweeteners cause an insulin response, because your tastebud taste "sweet" and want to get that sugar into cells.  But there isn't sugars to take into the cells, so bloodsugar drops (because the insulin takes the sugar that is in the blood and gets it transported into cells).  The low blood sugar signals your brain that you're hungry, so you start to crave food that actually has calories in it to get your bloodsugar back up.

It's not that it's messing with your brain chemistry per se, but it does make it harder to lose weight.  And if you get into the cycle of 'I hungry, and I want something sweet, but I'm on a diet so I'll eat this healthy stuff with articifical sweetener' which about half an hour or so later you'll be feeling even more hungry, so you do it again, and the repititions make it harder and harder to stay on diet or eat properly and then you really end up gaining weight.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Research, Artificial Sweetners, Weight gain, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users