44 replies to this topic

#41 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 09:10 AM

^

A stay-at-home parent may, in fact, be a good thing. I'm not really sure it's socities job to make sure that happens. Our government already subsidizes children, guarantees maternity leave, and outlaws discrimination based on parenthood... what more can it do?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#42 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 09:51 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 26 2003, 05:11 PM, said:

^

A stay-at-home parent may, in fact, be a good thing. I'm not really sure it's socities job to make sure that happens. Our government already subsidizes children, guarantees maternity leave, and outlaws discrimination based on parenthood... what more can it do?
Well, that's pretty much what I was saying. I wasn't expecting the government to make changes. This would have to be a change that started at the individual and corporate level, I think. Its really hard to say how it could even happen for a majority of households, other than individual families deciding to live at more austere lifestyle while one parent stays home.

#43 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:20 PM

Franky, I think all these damn "safety laws" need to go away, and stop making new ones.  It's one thing for the government to mandate a recall of an unsafe toy that horribly maims children or carseats that don't work . . . that's all fine.  But the more regulations we get for raising children, the worse they've been turning out in my opinion.  Yes, if some kids get shot and killed by police when they play bank robber at a bank with realistic looking toy guns it's very very sad.  But if a kid's going to go in public and pull that kind of crap . . . well . . .that's not material for a good adult later nor are they likely to make good parents when they grow up (and they certainly don't HAVE good parents).

It's cruel an extremely Darwinistic of me, but I'm fond of the way Mother Nature has weeded out idiocy for billions of years.  The stupid ones do stupid things and die or are horribly maimed and in any case don't breed anymore.

I have no sympathy for the deer who thinks nothing of the hunter it hears rustling in the bushes nor the unattended child that wanders to the garage to smell the lovely gasoline fumes.

Bad parent + Bad genes = Stupid child that kills itself and breaks the vicious stupid-cycle.

-Nick

#44 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:23 PM

I don't think more legislation is the answer.  This just sounds stupid to me.  The government already sticks its nose in where it doesn't belong entirely too much of the time.  

Parents do have to take responsibility for their kids.  Otherwise don't have 'em.  
There are far too many piss poor parents out there. :crazy:  :angry:
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#45 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:58 PM

Bossy, on Jun 26 2003, 02:52 PM, said:

Well, that's pretty much what I was saying. I wasn't expecting the government to make changes. This would have to be a change that started at the individual and corporate level, I think. Its really hard to say how it could even happen for a majority of households, other than individual families deciding to live at more austere lifestyle while one parent stays home.
Well, it depends on where you live and what job you have.  In Santa Cruz, we have the highest rent in the world and some of the sh*ttiest wages too.  It wasn't always like this when I moved here in 1977 rent was affordable.

Can't really move, but we have had to live the austere lifestyle even with each adult working (me, hubby & ex-wife) Raising kids is very expensive and not everyone can get high paying jobs.

I am actually home all day, there is a school within blocks of our house, but the ex has custody so that is useless.  She and kids live a half hours drive away up a windy road.  The only kid old enough to take the bus is the thirteen year old.  The is a law against kids younger than that taking the bus around here.  :crazy:

I tell you, it isn't easy these days to raise kids!!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gun Control, Childrens toy guns

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users