#21 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 07:33 AM

Enmar, on Jun 27 2003, 03:30 PM, said:

^ That a refreshing POV :wideeyed:
An obvious one, I should think. I'm generally surprised when people automatically assume that cultures stole these ancient stories from each other when it's more likely that they all came from the same monoculture.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#22 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 10:06 AM

Drew, on Jun 27 2003, 02:24 PM, said:

Of course, if you consider that Genesis is supposedly the "genesis" of . . . well, everyone, . . . it certainly follows that it would be a story found in every culture on the planet.
...which is why it's noteworthy that, contrary to popular belief, it does NOT. It only shows up in most cultures native to places where floods could come suddenly and be destructive. Desert cultures don't have it, unless they inherited it from a past when they lived near water. Nomadic cultures don't have it because it's easy to find dry ground when you're always walking around anyway and floods won't damage your village or other stuff if you haven't built one and carry your stuff with you. Egypt's floods of the Nile were regular and predictable, and seen as a blessing just as much as sunlight and rain are by everyone else, so they don't have it either. You can't have a myth of a world-destroying flood if your people have never encountered a flood (or at least not one that was destructive).

The Jews' version of the flood myth resembles the Babylonians' because, until Abraham and the gang split off, they WERE Babylonians. It's not someone else's story copied; it's THEIRS, evolved along with the culture. It's tremendously different from the Viking version in every conceivable way other than the necessary basics because those populations don't have that close connection.

#23 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 12:10 PM

Never meant to imply that the Dinosaur Killer off the Yucatan created the Gulf of Mexico. To the best of my knowledge it is from a far older and greater impact.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#24 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 10:15 PM

Shalamar, wouldn't an impact the size and depth of the Gulf of Mexico have been enough to destroy the earth? Or at least give us an asteroid belt. I think it's just a geographic or tectonic feature.

Here's more on the Yucatan impact crater
http://www.space.com...act_991228.html

-Ogami

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Science, Archaeology

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users