Atomic Sunrise VI: Rated PG-17*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
210 replies to this topic

#41 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

"Isabella!" Sophie called down the hall upon seeing the doctor was finished with Conner and Joseph. Sophie waved her friend over.

"How are they?" she asked, nodding toward her father and Joseph. "Lorei is seeing to Tim, and except for Razor's cut, everyone seems to be alright...with various bruises and bumps, of course. How do you feel?" Sophie asked.

#42 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

Conner watched as Isabella walked away. The tea sounded good like a good idea, but the rest...he glanced over at Joseph. "Old man, I love your granddaughter like she was one of my own, but she is crazy if she thinks I'm staying put down here while the others go above ground."

Conner Drake shook his head. He refused to sit idly by while there was work to be done for the people. If he died helping to save others or whatever, then so be it. Except for Konoko, who was still missing, and Silas's family, most of the main settlement team seemed to be in good condition.

"Look at them over there talking...conspiring against us, I bet," he said in a low voice, watching Sophie and Isabella. "How the hell did our girls get so strong-willed and bossy?" he asked with pride in his voice.

#43 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

"How are they?"

Isabella smiled

"They are ok...both of them are in shock, but won't admit it, I have told them to rest and stay here, but I know they won't....the best I can do is get something hot and sweet inside them and hope that they keep an eye on one another...you know how stubborn they can be...once they've set their minds to something, in this case going above ground....she shrugged.......they'll be ok..I just wish that they would make allowances for their age..as for me, I'm a little bruised, I was trapped under some shelving until Nemo found me....what about you Sophie...you weren't hurt?"

......we figured she would be in her lab

Nemo nodded....."that was what I thought too......the way ahead is blocked, but between us Leonid and I should be able to clear some of the rubble away"

The same lady who helped out in medical emergencies walked over to Conner and Joseph carrying two cups of tea...

"Doctors orders gentlemen....tea's not that hot, but it's sweet....it'll perk you up.....and eat this..she handed them each a slice of bread liberally covered in jam...I'll be watching to make sure that you do.....and Doctor Blackwell says.....if you do ignore her and head above ground, you're to take care and stay together"

#44 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

"Yeah, I'm sure there isn't much blocking the way that you or I can't move out of the way." Leonid said.

The three continued on towards Konoko's lab, until they came to the blocked passageway.

"Sherise, you might want to stay out of the way." Leonid said. "You look like you took a pretty good shot to the head and I don't want you getting accidentally hurt more."

"I don't care to get hurt any more either." Sherise said, moving out of the way. "Do what you have to." If it was one thing-she knew when to follow orders.

"Then, shall we?" Leonid asked, moving a big piece of debris out of their way.

#45 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

Sophie glanced down the way at her father. She couldn't blame him for still wanting to be involved and experience life. He'd certainly lived through enough in life to not just want to give it up now. Still Isabella was right...those two old men of theirs should at least consider their ages and limitation.

"No, I'm not hurt...not seriously, just a bump on the head. I'm sure I'll have a bump of some size or another," she answered.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 16 March 2008 - 07:52 PM.

#46 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Late Afternoon, (about 3:30 PM): Day 1

Twenty minutes had passed since the explosions. During that time, Dave, the cook (who had survived the blast underground) had gathered up some warm gear for the team to use outside. Sherise, Nemo, and Leonid had found Konoko unconscious in her lab and brought her upstairs. Isabella had quickly checked her over and left her in the care of the woman in the dining area.

Suitably dressed for the cold afternoon they had been relieved to find the entrance inside the cave undamaged and had walked out past the hot springs. The sight of the dead had been shocking and heartbreaking, but once it was quickly determined there were no living, everyone had continued on to the settlement itself.

Now that each member of the team had reached the scene of utter destruction and so much death within the settlement “walls”, they all reacted in their own way. Sophie had instructed everyone to search for survivors as their primary goal. Everyone headed off in different directions to search and help where they felt they could be of most use.

The six injured were spread out around the outside of the settlement preventing only one or two people from finding them…it took a team effort, as well as help from the 20 or so survivors who’d been too far away to be killed, to find and rescue them all.

(Injury one: minor) Carlie, a young woman of about 21, was trapped underneath a section of wall that had been blown away from the settlement. Her leg was pinned under some rocks. She was near the gardens.

(Injury two: critical) Khali, a man of about 35, had been thrown from the settlement and landed outside the front gate. He was badly burned over most of his body.

(Injury three: minor) A child of about six had fallen in a hole made by a young tree uprooting.

(Injury four: minor) A teenager had somehow been tossed up into a tree outside of the settlement and had a broken limb.

(Injury five: critical) Although the garage was burning and the vehicles were on fire, the area just past the garage was not destroyed. A man had been crushed by a piece of equipment but was still alive.

(Injury six: minor) Jayson, an older man of about 67 had been walking along the path outside the settlement on the opposite side of the gardens and fallen down and hit his head.

OOC: See discussion thread.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 17 March 2008 - 10:18 AM.

#47 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

Still reeling in shock from the sight of the dead, their friends, at the hot springs Sophie could only stare in horror at the destruction of the settlement. There was literally nothing left as she stood where the back gate used to be. It was completely gone. Burning and charred and just gone. Sophie felt her heart lurch again in her chest and the tears well up in her eyes. She felt like sobbing right then and there, but the shock was so immense and deep that the redheaded leader could only stare.

Sophie reached for Isabella’s hand on one side and her father’s on the other.

“My god,” she finally whispered. “Oh, Isabella, what…?” Sophie whispered. “No, no, they can’t all be dead…there have to be more living! This can’t be happening…I should have protected them.”

All around them those that had been further from the settlement milled around in shock themselves. Sophie sent them to help search for survivors, which jolted them from their shocked state.

Sophie let go of her father’s hand wordlessly as she indicated for Isabella to come search with her.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 16 March 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#48 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

Sherise could only stare in shock as she passed the bodies of the dead-most of whom she only knew by sight since she rarely socialized, but seeing them dead had impacted her hard. She went inside the settlement to help look for survivors.

Leonid was even shocked by the destruction and death all around him-even though he had lived with it all his life at the other compound-but this was different-here, people cared for one another and weren't trying to do anything other than survive.

He went inside the settlement-what was left of it-and started sniffing around for survivors-not really expecting to find any that probably weren't critically injured.

#49 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

Conner let go of Sophie's hand. It was like looking at the destruction from his youth--when what had been the United States of America had ceased to exist because of mass destruction and death--all over again. Part of him now wished he had died in the underground blast...but no, no, he didn't. Conner steeled himself to be strong one last time, to do what needed to be done for the good of the people and their survival. And for his daughter's sake. She was strong, bless her, but she'd need the help of every one of her team right now. Conner knew they all would have to work together like never before.

But so many dead...he shook his head slowly and a tear escaped from one eye. He glanced over at Joseph.

#50 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

Somehow, Leonid ended up pairing with Sherise as they reached the settlement, and they started looking around. "No one probably survived if they were inside." He said, then tilted his head as he heard something.

"What is it?" Sherise asked-he looked like he was listening to something.

"I hear a young person." Leonid said. "Over there." He pointed at some trees as he started running. He reached the trees and looked up, hearing a cry for help, and saw a boy up one of the trees. "Are you hurt?" He asked him.

"I think I broke my right arm." The young boy said. "There was an explosion and, all of a sudden, I was up this tree.

"Hold on, I'm coming up to get you." Leonid said, climbing up the tree. "He picked the boy up and held him against his chest. "You're going to have to trust me." He told the lad. "I'm going to jump down with us." When the boy nodded, he didn't give him a chance to think about it and jumped down-landing in front of Sherise-who had just run up. "He's got a broken right arm." He told her, sitting the boy down with his back to the tree he had been up.

Sherise looked around and found some boards from a building nearby, along with some rope. She picked them up and walked back over and examined the boy-finding he had fractured both bones in his forearm. She placed a board on each side of his arm and tied them down with the rope. "That's the best I can do." She said.

Leonid nodded and picked the boy back up and started back the way they had come, with Sherise right behind him. He found Isabella and Sophie. "Where can I put him?" He asked. He has a broken arm, but the rest are just bumps and bruises."

#51 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

"Thanks Lorei," Tim said. He sat up, and Carolyne wrapped her arms around him as he stood. The pain was starting to recede, and if he walked slowly enough it wouldn't cause any more pain. He looked at Carolyne. "How's your head?" he asked.

"It's fine," she replied. "We should find you a bandage for your ribs or something." She didn't want him to get injured even more.

Carolyne stared at the destruction. She just couldn't believe it... her home was virtually gone. Most of the people were dead, some she knew well, some she didn't, but she had grown up with these people. They took her in... the only comfort was her dearest friends and Tim were okay. Tears began to form as she thought of what could have happened. She covered her mouth to stop a sob from escaping her lips.

Tim looked over at Carolyne. It was hard for him to look at the scene before him. Working with Radillos meant not being squeamish about death, but this... he knew Carolyne was devastated and could see her crying. Instinctively he wrapped his arms around her and kissed your forehead. "It'll be okay honey," he whispered.

Carolyne nodded and let Tim hold her. She took a few deep breaths to calm down. Tim hugged her tighter. "I'll be okay," Carolyne said as she pulled back. "We should start searching for survivors," she said as she wiped the tears off her cheeks.

#52 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:01 AM

This can’t be happening…I should have protected them.

Isabella squeezed her friends hand

"There was nothing you could have done Sophie....no way you could have protected them....this is not your fault"

She felt numb.....she couldn't believe that so many had died...so many of their friends, the settlement was in ruins, most of the buildings nothing more than smouldering rubble.....they walked through what was left of the settlement, neither saying anything........in the distance , just outside what remained Isabella could see the garages and stables burning.....

"Sophie, the vehicles and the horses....."

Joseph felt the tears running down his cheeks..........their home had been destroyed......many were dead......he remembered how it had been before the settlement, after the chaos and destruction....how they had travelled, searching the land for survivors, how they had built the settlement...and now it was all gone....he walked slowly over to Conner, wiping the tears from his cheeks with his sleeve

On seeing the destruction Nemo's first thoughts were for the animals.........he headed for the stables first.

#53 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:35 AM

Razor pulled Alexie close to him, wrapped his arms around her, and kissed the top of her dark hair to take his eyes away from the destroyed settlement. To think he could have lost her had she been out here nearly drove him crazy. He would mourn later, right now Sophie wanted them to find survivors and that was most important. Focus on the living.

"Let's go," he said to Alexie. "Unless you don't think you can...," Razor broke off, thinking of her condition.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 17 March 2008 - 05:36 AM.

#54 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:44 AM

Sohie shook her head as she and Isabella headed for the garage. Nemo ran past them. "The horses should have been out to get some exercise...at least I dearly hope so. As for the vehicles...damn, look at the flames...they must all be on fire!"

It was messy walking through the mud and slush in the settlement and heartbreaking. Sophie couldn't look at all the dead but she couldn't take her eyes off either. It was just beyond belief.

Leonid and Sherise found them just then. "Where can I put him?" the big lion man asked.

"Oh thank god, you found someone else!" Sophie kissed the young teenage boy on the cheek and he seemed relieved instead of embarrassed. She consulted a moment with Isabella. "Find Lorei...she was right back by the...," Sophie was about to say back gate but there was no more back gate. "Back where we started," she finished. "Help her any way she needs, okay?"

She and Isabella continued on to the garage and had to go way around as they couldn't even get near it. But a short distance away where they used to tether the horses was a huge piece of machinery from the garage.

"Do you see Ne...?" Sophie started to say, then "No! Oh no, I think there's someone underneath that!" Sophie cried out, pointing to the huge piece of equipment.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 17 March 2008 - 04:55 AM.

#55 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:55 AM

Conner and Joseph walked along without speaking for a few minutes. The inside of where the settlement used to be was already being searched, but Conner didn't hold out much hope there. Picking their way over the debris on the trail that ran around the settlement, the two men made their way--and Conner actually kept in mind his age this time, and he and Joseph watched out for each other. He didn't want to add to the casualty list.

Up ahead they saw a body with white hair and there was something about the jacket that was familiar. The old person was struggling to sit up.

"Dear god, is that Jayson?" Conner exclaimed.

OOC: Three of the injured left for those who have not found anyone yet. Good luck :wink:.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 17 March 2008 - 05:22 AM.

#56 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:52 AM

Sherise and Leonid went back the way they came and found Lorei by what used to be the back gate. "Where can we put him?" She asked their new doctor. "And what can we do to help?"

#57 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:26 AM

No! Oh no, I think there's someone underneath that!"

Isabella looked over at the machinery, she could see an arm poking out from underneath....the fingers twitched and she raced over...

"He's still alive"....she went around to the other side and knelt down next to the trapped man.......there were trickles of blood coming from both nostrils and he was ashen, his breathing was shallow and rasping

"Sophie....we need to get this equipment moved.....we need some help and fast.....she lowered her voice......I don't think he's going to last much longer, his chest bore the brunt of the impact.

Nemo was delighted to see all the horses in the field with the other animals, they were nervous but unharmed.....he laid out some fresh straw for them, then returned to the settlement to help search for survivors.....several of the younger trees had been uprooted by the explosion so he had to watch his step as the trees had been planted into deep holes to secure them against the strong winds the winter often brought......as he passed by one such hole he heard a faint whimpering.....he looked down into the hole and saw a young child of about six curled up and shivering....

"Hey.....it's ok, I'll get you out of there.....he threw his jacket down into the hole...wrap that around yourself, try and stay warm...I'll be right back...."

He let out a low whistle and one of the mares came trotting over....he secured a rope around her neck and dropped the other end into the hole..."grab on, loop the rope around your waist if you can........

"I've done it Nemo....please get me out of here"

Nemo patted the horses flanks and moved her slowly away from the hole......he crouched down next to the hole and held out his hand.....when the child was within reach he grapes onto his wrist and pulled him up...

"You're safe now....let's get you back to the doctors....he untied the horse, blew softly on her nose in thanks, then picked up the child and carried him back to what was left of the settlement......he headed straight for Lorei

Lorei....I have a patient for you, I think he's ok, just cold and shocked....but I'm not a doctor.....would you be able to take a look at him when you get a chance?

"Dear god, is that Jayson?"

Joseph nodded

"It is...I'd recognise that jacket anywhere.....Jayson, you ok? you need some help?"

Jaysons vision was blurred and his head hurt........he peered over in the direction of the voices

"Joseph, Conner is that you?"

"Yes it's us...stay put, we'll help you up....we'll get you back to Lorei or Isabella"

#58 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

Lorei had set up a temporary kind of infirmary in the section of corridor where they had all met up. It was close to the surface if they needed to evacuate but it would shelter the injured from the cold and weather outside. She had set up crude pallets and collected as many blankets as she could find and had laid the injured sent to her out on them where she quietly worked on treating them. She'd been to the surface just long enough to see the devastation then had gone back below. Once more she'd sealed her emotions away like she had back in the compound to allow her to work efficiently. "Oh put him down here." She gestured to the nearest pallet when Sherise and Leonid came over with a an injured patient. When Nemo came over with a child she nodded. "Okay, wrap him up in some blankets and lay him down. I'll check on him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alexie looked up at Razor, blinking her own tears back from her eyes. "I'm quite capable of helping." She said gently and went with him to help look for survivors. In any other circumstances his protectiveness would have both amused and irritated her. It would still be a few months yet before she would start to show and longer before she would consider herself unfit for physical duty. But now she just felt shocked and deeply saddened that the place she had been born and raised in was practically obliterated and most of her friends were dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On her own pallet Konoko opened her eyes and stirred. Remembering what had happened the last time she moved she stayed still as she tried to figure out what had happened. She recognised being in the remains of the dining hall and guessed that someone must have found her and moved her here. Carefully she lifted her head slightly, wincing at the pain that the impact with the floor had caused but other than that she didn't feel too bad.

Edited by Mikoto, 17 March 2008 - 09:43 AM.

#59 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

Leonid put the boy down where Lorei told him to, and then decided to go back up top to see if he could help out up there-Sherise would be better suited to helping the doctor anyway.

He saw Sophie and Isabella looking at something under a large piece of machinery and he went over to look. "Even I can't lift that by myself." He said. "But maybe if we got a couple other strong men to help, we could lift it enough to get him out from under it."

Sherise did what she could to make the patients more comfortable while Lorei treated them.

#60 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

"Come on, Jayson, take our arms," Conner said. "We'll get you up and take you to see the doctor."

He waved away some smoke that had blown their way in the late winter wind. It was starting to get darker already--what with the smoke and the setting sun--, and he wanted to get their friend inside as quickly as possible. Conner coughed harshly for a moment.

"Damn smoke," he mumbled. He was trying to ignore the other smells within the smoke.

Between the two of them, he and Joseph managed to get the injured man back to the cave entrance. Jayson had gone quiet, Conner noticed. He didn't blame him with what Jayson had had to see.

"Hey, can you two help us?" he asked two other survivors that were coming up the stairs from down below. They helped get Jayson down to wait for Lorei. Conner was impressed to see the temporary receiving area she had created.

"Do you want to stay down here?" Conner asked Joseph somberly. He wasn't in any hurry to witness the destruction again, but also didn't want to shirk his duties. "Or head back out?"

Conner coughed again.

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 17 March 2008 - 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users