• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

http://www.jumpcon.c...Convention.html

Their site lists a lot of conventions but I've never heard of these folk - anybody here know anything about them?

Hotel is really expensive, but I'd so love to spend time time in Boston again.  And a great guest list.  I don't think I can swing it, but I'd sure like to!
Cats will never be extinct!

#2 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:45 AM

I heard about them a couple months ago. At first I thought it was only a local company and was shocked to see how many cons they're running. The Web site is a little simplistic and I don't get the whole "make your own con" idea. I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Lots of other hotels in Boston, though for a bit less (it's going to be about $150 in any case for a decent hotel). The hotel is near the green line Prudential stop for the MBTA, so as long as you're at a hotel on the T, you can get there pretty easily, though I know it's more fun to stay at the hotel that hosts the con.

#3 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

Steve Bacic, Jason Carter, Gordon, Kevin - WOW that is an impressive line up....OMG Kyle Schmid - I so want to go now :D

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#4 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

I was about to suggest you check out their other cities (a lot of the same celebs are the same from city to city), but Boston might be one of the closer ones for you.

#5 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

Yep, Boston is about the closest, the only trouble being that flights from here to the US in July are so expensive :(

#6 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

Not as expensive as the other direction probably since the dollar is pretty much in the toilet...

#7 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

^ true, if only I could buy my ticket in US $ ;) once I got there it would be super cheap, but it's the getting there -current prices are in the range of $800...which is just too much. May or september it's ony $560.

#8 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

Apparently they have just cancelled ALL of their cons.  Starting with Boston.  I see lawsuits flying from all sides.  I thought this was all a tad ambitious for a first-time organizer... understatement of the century so far.

#9 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:39 AM

Excuse the link below - I'm at work, where LiveJournal is blocked, but I was able to get to a cached page through Google - I'll update the link when I'm home

http://64.233.167.10...q...cd=12&gl=us

Scroll down to the post with the subject line "Jumpcon: Oh really now"

It was made on June 27th. All of their policies were just policies taken from other cons - everything from refund policies to club promotional tables to ordering tickets to general rules and policies. These guys were ambitious first-timers that didn't do any of the real work, tried to copy others and promote the show as something original (at least they stopped promoting it as a show where you would "jump" from one thing to another).

#10 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

View PostBroph, on Jul 16 2008, 11:39 AM, said:

Excuse the link below - I'm at work, where LiveJournal is blocked, but I was able to get to a cached page through Google - I'll update the link when I'm home

http://64.233.167.10...q...cd=12&gl=us

Scroll down to the post with the subject line "Jumpcon: Oh really now"

It was made on June 27th. All of their policies were just policies taken from other cons - everything from refund policies to club promotional tables to ordering tickets to general rules and policies. These guys were ambitious first-timers that didn't do any of the real work, tried to copy others and promote the show as something original (at least they stopped promoting it as a show where you would "jump" from one thing to another).

Thanks for the info.  Is that Erin Grey posting the livejournal?  I didn't realize she was in the booking business.  And what's all this about the US Fedcon fiasco?  Hadn't heard about that since it was initially announced.  Geez, glad the only con I'm thinking about is Dragon*Con!!!  Let me know if you get any more info!

#11 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

View PostThemis, on Jul 16 2008, 04:58 PM, said:

Thanks for the info.  Is that Erin Grey posting the livejournal?  I didn't realize she was in the booking business.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's her or someone with the same name. Check out this cached page from Jumpcon

http://64.233.167.10...3...;cd=2&gl=us

I didn't know that Julie Caitlin Brown is a rep agent, but that info checks out, based on IMDb information.

And what's all this about the US Fedcon fiasco?  Hadn't heard about that since it was initially announced.

I guess they had their meltdown a month ago; I hadn't really followed that con. Strange, though - their Web site says that they're related to FedCons that are held in Europe, but I read elsewhere that they weren't related at all.

http://www.fedconusa...category/21/83/

Geez, glad the only con I'm thinking about is Dragon*Con!!!  Let me know if you get any more info!

Thinking about? I wonder how far away you'd be able to find a hotel for that con at this point. I've never been, but I hear it's always a great show.

#12 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

Oh, I have a hotel reservation.  And a membership.  But I'd be driving so no plane ticket to worry about.  And hotel reservations can be cancelled.  It's always incredible, but so is my credit card debt and hotel/food/parking the car would probably cost me $1,000 and that's without any autographs etc.!  I'll make a final decision a week or so out...  I know the economy is keeping several regulars at home this year.

I followed the link to the trekmovie.com article and then to their article on FedCon.  Wow.  And there was something scheduled in Huntsville earlier this year that all the guests pulled out of.

#13 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

^Ah, gotcha.

If you want to check out a LONG post, mostly from industry insiders, like Julie Caitlin Brown, Richard Kiel ("Jaws" from the James Bond movies), and agent reps, check out this page

http://con-news.com/?p=588

Lots of ongoing discussion that examines the meltdown.

#14 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:59 AM

2 updates as of this morning.

1) Yes, Erin Gray is, indeed, "that" Erin Gray

2)

United Fan Con Inc., a small not-for-profit fan-run group located in Randolph MA, has stepped up to give the fans in Boston the fun-filled weekend that they were anticipating.

It started with online forum posts discussing the situation and then moved to the realization that many people were still coming to Boston regardless of the JC cancellation. These fans decided to organize and started planning a mini fan event. United Fan Con stepped in to help the fans make it happen, giving the fans the funds to rent space at a new venue and use of any and all equipment and supplies needed to host an event. In addition UFC is contacting actors, agents and vendors with the hope of making this an exciting weekend.

This Fan Con will be free to all attendees and include; games, videos, fan panels, auctions, vendors and more. The event will take place at the Hilton Back Bay, located at 40 Dalton Street, Boston MA (directly across the street from the Boston Sheraton). The event will run from 3pm – 10pm on Friday, 10am – 6pm on Saturday and 12pm – 6pm on Sunday.

Here is what is being said about the fans efforts:
“It’s really cool that you are trying to help these poor fans”. - Bob Catalano, Westland Productions

“I hope you can make something happen with the fans, thanks for doing this.” Julie Catlin Brown – Illumina Productions,

“How nice of you to reach out and see what can be done. We greatly appreciate your thoughts and willingness to try and make something positive out this fiasco Thank you”. Erin Gray - Heroes for Hire.

United Fan Con is a Massachusetts-based Con that has been putting on shows for almost 20 years now; I've attended the last 6 or so myself, including an Eastern-Massachusetts one that wasn't well-attended, but still went through.

Page for the press release:

http://www.nefe.us/main2.htm

Page for United Fan Con:

http://www.nefe.us/

This is obviously really last-minute, but I just got the info.

Edited by Broph, 18 July 2008 - 06:03 AM.

#15 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

Mark Goddard will appear at the event today at 5PM in Boston

http://www.nefe.us/

He's local; I almost would have predicted him to be there - he's really good supporting local shows!

#16 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

View PostBroph, on Jul 16 2008, 12:12 PM, said:

View PostThemis, on Jul 16 2008, 04:58 PM, said:

And what's all this about the US Fedcon fiasco?  Hadn't heard about that since it was initially announced.

I guess they had their meltdown a month ago; I hadn't really followed that con. Strange, though - their Web site says that they're related to FedCons that are held in Europe, but I read elsewhere that they weren't related at all.

http://www.fedconusa...category/21/83/

Geez, glad the only con I'm thinking about is Dragon*Con!!!  Let me know if you get any more info!

Thinking about? I wonder how far away you'd be able to find a hotel for that con at this point. I've never been, but I hear it's always a great show.

FedCon and FedCon USA had been affiliated with FedCon Germany initially.  I was at FedCon XVI when it was announced that they were planning to do a con in Dallas, Texas.  After the meltdown, I read that over the course of the year, F.C. U.S. was having some issues.  Because of that, F.C. Germany wanted out.  But because it had all the advertising, contracts and so on with FedCon's name on it, they (F.C.G.) allowed the usage of the name for this one year.  Apparently the head of F.C.G., had a medical condition which prevented him from helping run and attend the actual con.  Instead, he sent his son.  Things had already pretty much fallen apart by the start of the con (this all going from what I read, as I didn't attend...thankfully).  The money wasn't there to pay the guests and the con was told to close Saturday night.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users