• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:06 AM

I'm not sure exactly what forum this should go in so mods make your call and whoosh away....

I picked up a PS3 over the weekend. The money came in the wife gave her blessing and James isn't sure what all the fuss is about but he loves my glow in the dark controller and he likes to push them. :)

I've been wanting to get one of these for a long time and the new job made it all happen. The setup was a little involved, Verizon wasn't sure it wanted to talk to the PS3 so tech calls had to be placed but now it is happy on our wireless network and I was playing Heavenly Sword last night and then we took a break and watched Spiderman 3 in the Blu-Ray format.

A few qualifiers :

1) My TV is a 50 inch Samsung DLP 1080P.
2) I have the PS3 hooked up to my Home Theater System

So when I say that the movie looked and sounds better then it did in the movie theater, you can understand why I am so excited.

There is no comparison between Blu-Ray and the HD format. Blu-Ray is so very much better. I had no fraking idea there where so many shards of glass. I had no idea Venom could look that cool. I had no idea that they animated very single tiny piece of Sandman. I had no idea that lens flares could flare to pretty.

What I am saying is that I am a movie fan and the PS3 makes me very, very, very, VERY happy. And now I can't wait to pop open my Blade Runner Final Cut and the Blu-Ray edition of Close Encounters. Holy CRAP.

What about the games? Well I haven;t done to much with it yet but I played a few levels of Heavenly Sword but I did get to witness the motion sensors in action and flew a connonball from a castle to right between a guys eyes. Wow again!

The system is just amazing and everything I hopped for. I would be happy to keep visiting this thread if folks have questions. Just give me time to get back here. James is very happy with my new toy. No kiddo it's DADDY'S turn!

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 01 April 2008 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

#2 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

I wish I could be excited for you, but I feel you just ripped yourself off for flashy pictures.  I don't have and probably never ever will buy the piece of junk known as PS3.  

Sorry, eT, I truly am happy that you're happy with your purchase, and I don't mean to sound so negative, but it makes me sad when people give in to Sony's hype machine, when both The XBox 360 and Wii have loads of better games that deserve the attention they get.  Sony almost ruined video games... thank goodness Nintendo squarely kicked them in the pants this generation.  When Sony starts making a video game system for video gamers again, maybe I'll start buying their stuff again.

And PS: There is absolutely little to no quality difference between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, and I think Hollywood shot itself in the foot by choosing Blu-Ray, the more fragile format of the two.  I'll stick with my standard def. DVDs.
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#3 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

View PostSlipfighter, on Apr 1 2008, 07:07 PM, said:

I wish I could be excited for you, but I feel you just ripped yourself off for flashy pictures.  I don't have and probably never ever will buy the piece of junk known as PS3.  

Sorry, eT, I truly am happy that you're happy with your purchase, and I don't mean to sound so negative, but it makes me sad when people give in to Sony's hype machine, when both The XBox 360 and Wii have loads of better games that deserve the attention they get.  Sony almost ruined video games... thank goodness Nintendo squarely kicked them in the pants this generation.  When Sony starts making a video game system for video gamers again, maybe I'll start buying their stuff again.

And PS: There is absolutely little to no quality difference between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, and I think Hollywood shot itself in the foot by choosing Blu-Ray, the more fragile format of the two.  I'll stick with my standard def. DVDs.

I disagree with you on HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray. My brother in law has a X-Box with the HD drive. He has a 1080P TV (his is plasma) and we watched a HD video over X-Mas. One of the Planet Earths, IIRC. It looked good, very good even. But I can not describe in words just how fraking AMAZING Spidey looked. Blu-Ray was clearly superior.

Sony messed up video games? I'm not sure what you are saying here. Heavenly Sword was made by a company called Ninja Theory not Sony, but I am loving it so far. I absolutely loved the levels I played and the opening reminded me in good ways of Max Payne starting at the end. I like that. ;)

I can't tell you how underwhelmed I am over the WII. The more i look at it the less impressed I am. Yes it's cheaper but it looks cheaper. And I play games to chill not get a work out. Maybe James will want the next generation of WII to bounce around and blow off steam, but for me? No thanks.

I do like my Brother in Laws XBox, but I can't get passed the fact that all of his games play on my computer and better so that system is not for me either.

My Playstation is also going to be my primary DVD player. I also have plans to put a external hard drive on it so it can hold our music collection digitaly so we can finally organize our living room a little bit. So while I do love the games (very much even!) it is going to be wearing a LOT of hats. For me THAT is what makes it so cool.

Well....that and those 1080P explosions....*drool*.... (maybe you are on to something with those pictures :blush: )

Anyway, live and let live, glad you are enjoying your WII.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 01 April 2008 - 03:30 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

Aside from Blu-Ray, I don't think there's any reason to buy a PS3 right now. The games just aren't there (yet). However, I did witness a PS2 game being played on it and they upscale pretty well to HD. That's the only reason I'd pick one up (and it's not enough).

I love my Wii (mostly for Mario Galaxy) but I'd be the first to admit that it doesn't look all that great on my HDTV and aside from several first-party games, the software is awfully barren.

I disagree with you on HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray. My brother in law has a X-Box with the HD drive. He has a 1080P TV (his is plasma) and we watched a HD video over X-Mas. One of the Planet Earths, IIRC. It looked good, very good even. But I can not describe in words just how fraking AMAZING Spidey looked. Blu-Ray was clearly superior.

That's not the fault of HD. Planet Earth was released in both formats and they looked pretty much identical. Just like DVD, HD is highly dependent on the transfers. There are plenty of Blu-Ray discs out there that don't reach their full potential.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#5 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

The issue with the PS3 is that it has 8 processors.  While it only regularly uses 7 of them, the practical programming troubles of trying to multithread software to make use of them is very very challenging.  Few games do, or are ever going to use all the processing power the PS3 has available.

I could take a normal DVD footage, and burn it onto the Blu-Ray DVD, then get the theatre film, convert it onto the HD-DVD and you would say Wow, blu-ray doesen't compare to HD-DVD.  The only thing the general consumer needs to know is that Toshiba took a write down on HD-DVD, so for all practical purposes it is dead.

The important this is that the PS3 does deblocking and deringing on the Blu-Ray footage, some of the bargain players skip on postprocessing to provide very cheap decoding of the high bitrate video (especially important for the MPEG-2 streams, not as for VC1 or MPEG4-AVC).

Edited by Zanthra, 01 April 2008 - 08:47 PM.

#6 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

While I've strongly disliked Sony for their marketing tactics and shenanigans, the PS3 is a top-notch Bluray player for a (at the moment) bargain price with the most technically powerful game system this generation thrown in for free.  It's a very well done piece of hardware.  I love my Wii, but if I wanted a BluRay player, I'd suggest or even buy a PS3.

As for the technical merits of BluRay vs. HD-DVD . . . there are very few.  The discs hold a little more, but that alone isn't going to make much (or ANY in most cases) difference in picture quality.  A top notch recording on a top notch player in either format will look equally good.  The differences you noticed were for a number of reasons such as the encoding on the disc, the source material, rendering differences between the way the X-Box and PS3 render video, how your brother has his system hooked up, and (most importantly) that his TV is 1080i, not 1080p, so the screen itself is at half the resolution.  HD-DVD supported 1080p as well, just not your brother's TV.

I think you made a wise choice and am glad you're happy with the PS3.  The format war is over, it's one of the cheapest and best BluRay players on the market, it also tries its best to make your regular old DVDs look the best they can, and you obviously have a very nice TV set that can really take advantage of BluRay.

As for a game system, there are some very pretty (and very fun! ) games available for it and more in the pipeline.  How long that lasts will depend on whether Sony's able to reach critical mass to keep the games coming before good standalone BluRay players drop in price enough to no longer warrant paying extra for the PS3s game-playing ability.  Sales will level off if they haven't built a solid enough library by then.

But as it stands, it's ideal right now for the movie buff who likes the occasional video game.

#7 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:32 AM

View PostenTranced, on Apr 1 2008, 04:06 PM, said:

1) My TV is a 50 inch Samsung DLP 1080P.

That gives me some hope; I have what's probably the same TV, but Comcast, IIRC is only 1080i and when I bought a1080P Toshiba DVD recorder, it would only work with my TV in 1080i mode.

#8 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

1080I vs 1080P....

I have Verizon Fios as my cable/Net provider and the HD channels all broadcast in 1080I and they look great. I was breathless when I first purchased my HD TV. It looks fantastic. BUT, 1080P leaves it in the dust. The places I most see it is in texture ad in light. Superman 3 just has this amazing gloss on it, it looks wild.

Sony had a survey when I registered for the PlayOnline and one of the questions is what was the primary reason I got the PS3 and my answer was the Blu-Ray Player. I wanted a DVD player that could display everything my TV could display. I am movie buff : Hear me roar! :D

That said, I love the games also and since James had a late bedtime I didn't have time to watch any movies so I played another game :

I mentioned Heavenly Sword above, I also picked up Uncharted and Lair. Last night I played Uncharted.

Uncharted was craeted by Naughty Dog and the best way to describe it is Indiana Jones and Lara Croft give birth to Bruce Campbell.  :blush:

The game is a LOT of fun. One of my coworkers who own a PS3 recommended it as the best game to show off what your PS3 can do. And he was right.

The water. My GOD the water! :eek3:

I could watch Nat Drake (that is your character) swim.

For hours.

Everything looks great, the game has lush deep colors, the gameplay is fun and very responsive the characters are all interesting and the story cenetrs around Sir. Francis Drake, a figure from history that is fascinating. The game has a fun use for the motion sensors. You rock the controler so your character keeps his balance on shaky ground....like crossing a log over a bottomless chasim. :eek2:

But....that water....I saw that and Nat Drake decided it was time for a nice long swim. :blush:

I highly recomend Uncharted for all PS3 owners.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 02 April 2008 - 08:54 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

Comparing the quality of 1080i vs 1080p using Broadcast HDTV and Blu-Ray as your samples is not a fair comparison.  The fact is that Blu-Ray movies are often encoded in the region of 40Mbps, and with an advanced video codec like VC-1 or H.264 (Mpeg4/AVC), broadcast HDTV is encoded at 18Mbps with the aging Mpeg2, since VC-1 and H.264 can encode the same quality as Mpeg2 in approximately half the bitrate, thats similar to 18Mbps vs ~80Mbps.

The way lossy video codecs work is they throw away perceptually insignificant information.  First goes complexity: film grain, uneven surfaces, facial details, hair, all of it tends to look washed out.  All of this is significantly amplified in motion, even more so in broadcast HDTV where they can't adjust the bitrate.  If it needs even more compression, gradients break up, the macroblocks start to distinguish themselves becoming individual squares on the screen, and the inverse DCTs begin to have a ringing that looks like grain.

At the 18Mbps bitrate of HDTV this is very present, easially visible in high motion scenes.  On Blu-Ray and HD-DVD however, the significantly higher bitrate, and better video codecs let them avoid any precievable change, and this has absolutely nothing to do with being 1080i vs 1080p.

Edited by Zanthra, 02 April 2008 - 02:50 PM.

#10 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

^ I think I got what you were trying to say....

Are you saying that because they have to compress information to broadcast it but that when they are putting it on a disk they can leave out the compression which means they have more room for detail?

Did I get that right? Sorry my eyes tend to glaze when I see heavy duty tech speak...

enTranced
Posted Image

#11 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying... Sorry ;).  Except for the fact that they don't leave out all the compression since in that case it would be hundreds, even thousands of gigabytes, just many times the detail on disk.

Edited by Zanthra, 02 April 2008 - 04:04 PM.

#12 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

Correct.  Think of the BluRay or HD-DVD disc as being a really big bucket full of bits.  The player can slurp from the bucket as fast as it wants up to the capacity of the bucket itself.  Cable (and satellite) are garden hoses.  They can only pump the bits so quickly and your cable box/satellite receiver has to spit out the video on the fly.  Much less wiggle room.

I'm sure you've suffered through the many generations of streaming video over the Internet and are all too familiar with what happens when the "hose" can't keep up with the pl--- . . . buffering . . . .

#13 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

^ Cool.

Sadly, I got no PS3 time last night due to baby issues.

*sigh*

enTranced
Posted Image

#14 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

See enTranced?  This is why you shouldn't procreate.  It interferes with video game time.  I hope you've learned your lesson!

:p

#15 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:14 AM

View PostNick, on Apr 3 2008, 01:49 PM, said:

See enTranced?  This is why you shouldn't procreate.  It interferes with video game time.  I hope you've learned your lesson!

:p

LOL!

Nick this is especialy funny today because me and a bunch of co workers all male were standing around feeling sorry for ourselves because we were complaining how our wives and offspring kept interfering with our video game time! :D

I wouldn't change anything, but I have noticed a sad lack of video game time since James arrived!  :ninja:

enTranced
Posted Image

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

I'll admit that my own purchase of a PS3 is pending the release of Final Fantasy 13. My simple rule for console purchases has always been, as Final Fantasy goes, so goes my kingdom.

But i'm glad to hear the movies and stuff look so good. Unfortunately I don't own a HD tv either, so it's not going to affect me much :D

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#17 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

After mostly disliking the latest FF games, I'm gonna need a bit more than that to jump onto the PS3 bandwagon. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#18 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Whatever you do stay away from Lair at all costs!

It should have been good, hell this should be a classic!

It has dragons. The best thing a game can have. I have been itching for a great dragon game since I solved Drakon for the 100,000th time. (Sweet dragon, hot fantasy babe best.game.EVER.)

They even upped the ante for me, you can have your dragon EAT PEOPLE! How SWEET is that?

But....alas....it's not to be. :(

The controls suck. The characters are dull. The dragons are dull. I didn't even think that was possible. :(

Over in Heavenly Sword the 6 Axis system has precision control I can fly arrows, cannonballs and swords. In Uncharted I can dance Drake on a wobbly log. But in Lair my dragon turns like a MBTA bus on a frozen lake....with a drunk 90 year old at the wheel.

Stay away! Run for your life!!!!

*sigh*

Still like Meatloaf sings : 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

And now I have a down payment for GTA 4.

enTranced
Posted Image

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

View PostJosh, on Apr 3 2008, 10:17 PM, said:

After mostly disliking the latest FF games, I'm gonna need a bit more than that to jump onto the PS3 bandwagon. ;)

Yeah, but you and I have been disagreeing about that for some time now :p

and ET, can you tell me what you see in the GTA games? I've never understood the appeal, and the one time I tried to play one (Vice city I think) I was bored to tears.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#20 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Apr 4 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

and ET, can you tell me what you see in the GTA games? I've never understood the appeal, and the one time I tried to play one (Vice city I think) I was bored to tears.

The freedom.

They do get a bad rap for the violence, but that is what the M rating is for IMHO. I don't mind violence if it is not sadistic crap, and I don't mind a little salty language if it is done with some intelligence. And the GTA games have been great games for adults. I would not buy these games (or any M games) for kids.

I enjoy them because you don't have to do the storyline missions if you don't want to (but they are great if you do). You can get in a car and just drive around. You can become a paramedic or a firefighter for a day.

And even at it's most violent it has a wicked sense of humor which I greatly appreciate. I still love the Vice City mission where you go and whack a mobster wearing silly golf pants and driving your little scooter.

And lastly I love the soundtracks! Vice City has the best but that just might be this '80's kid talking. The fack radio stations are great for laughs as well.

Hmmm....oh and it's fun finding some great jump spots, especialy one where the traffic is bad so you get the cool stunt cam and then land and detonate in a busy intersection. Ahhh...bliss.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 04 April 2008 - 10:29 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users