• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:38 PM

Sounds like you were referred to a pharmacologist when what you needed was a psychotherapist.  Give that a shot.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#22 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:58 AM

Thanks guys.

He's moving in with us at the start of July when we move down to Cardifff and has promised to get a local GP when we do.  It's just sad that he's not living up to his full potential.  Next year is his last year of uni and few things would make me happier then seeing him do well in that.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#23 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:59 PM

That "talk therapy" stuff is a lot of bogus nonsense. It's fashionable in some places and wholly unknown in others.

If your brain chemistry is working right, then that's all you need. Bi-polar has nothing to do with external experiences, nor does clinical depression. Speaking from many years of personal experience, if you take the right medication a host of problems vanish as though they'd never been. No amount of "talk therapy" is of the lest benefit in cases like these.

I'm not convinced of the need for "talk therapy". Sounds like Dr Phil baloney to me. Talk is not therapy.

I've known too many people over the years who were attention junkies who liked to have someone to whine to about problems they either invented or perpectuated themselves. Many of the people they associate with are part of the problem.

As far as talking goes, it's nice to have someone with a lot of sense to talk to. In my case it's an old girl named Mary who's an old-fashioned no-nonsense farm girl who thinks wholly in practical terms. Before I was diagnosed, she'd say, "For god's sake, stop your whining and go do something useful." It was sage advice. She knew I had some sort of underlying problem, but knew too that distraction was the best medicine.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Pharmaceuticals, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users