29 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

http://www.news.com....29516-2,00.html

Australian-developed contraceptive jab for men, taken four times a year, has been proven to be just as effective as birth-control pills for women.

Sydney researchers found the hormonal injection is a quick and reliable method of contraception for up to 95 per cent of males.
Now there is an alternative - but pharmaceutical companies have shown little interest in making it available to the public.

The new jab works by suppressing sperm output but does not have a permanent effect.

Made up of a combination of the hormones androgen and progestin -  mostly testosterone -  it needs to be administered every two to three months.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:15 PM

Wow! Aussies have made it work?

Impressive.

But why am I not surprised that the firms aren't keen on marketing it? Could it be because it is an injection? Or because they are men who don't want their maleness interfered with chemically.

Any fellows here fancy trying to explain it?

Would YOU have the jab?
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#3 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

Does the female contraceptive involve hormonal changes? I never heard that it does; so my question would be, why would I take a hormonal based contraceptive when she's taking one that is not? ..... I would wonder, since I have never tried, doing anything or taking anything that changes hormonal content or balance in me? I just get the willies thinking about that ........ I wonder if there could be any other effects than just sperm count?
nah... I would not take that yet  :harper:  ~ Let's get more questions answered first; also, I've never bought over counter anything that is 'jab' based, though I don't see why that can't do that, in an altogether one-shot, not refill, you don't have to fill syringe from bottle, type of a unit; you know, like those quick battlefield morphine jab units.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#4 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

View Postoffworlder, on Apr 18 2008, 12:36 PM, said:

Does the female contraceptive involve hormonal changes? I never heard that it does; so my question would be, why would I take a hormonal based contraceptive when she's taking one that is not? ..... I would wonder, since I have never tried, doing anything or taking anything that changes hormonal content or balance in me? I just get the willies thinking about that ........ I wonder if there could be any other effects than just sperm count?
nah... I would not take that yet  :harper:  ~ Let's get more questions answered first; also, I've never bought over counter anything that is 'jab' based, though I don't see why that can't do that, in an altogether one-shot, not refill, you don't have to fill syringe from bottle, type of a unit; you know, like those quick battlefield morphine jab units.

Wow, of course the stuff women take makes hormonal changes, that's what it's all about.  Women have been "getting the willies" for a long time and cancer and increased risk of all kinds of nasty stuff.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

Yes I would use it. The FDA may not have approved it for the USA, but it would get made if the company thought it would sell.
Can't Touch This!!

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Yep, like Balderdash says, what women take ARE hormones...

The Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill (COCP), often referred to as "the Pill", is a combination of an estrogen (oestrogen) and a progestin (progestogen), taken by mouth to inhibit normal fertility. Combined oral contraceptives were developed by Gregory Goodwin Pincus, John Rock, and Min Chueh Chang.[1] They were first approved for contraceptive use in the United States in 1960, and are still a popular form of birth control. They are currently used by more than 100 million women worldwide and by almost 12 million women in the United States.[2][3] Usage varies widely by country,[4] age, education, and marital status: one quarter of women aged 16 49 in Great Britain currently use the Pill (combined pill or minipill),[5] compared to only 1% of women in Japan.[6]

Wiki

and the reason none of manufacturers are interested in making it is becasue they know it would go over like the ever popular lead brick. Men find it hard enough to get their pets spayed and neutered - you think their going to takde somethign that might encumber/ affert therir precvious testosterone levels?

I'll applaud any man who does as he obviously has the self comfidence of really having a pair. I'd also not go to bed with a man who wouldn't ( not necessarily has or not, being that such may be hard to get ahold of for awhile ) but if he wouldn't?  ... Need I say more?

Edited by Shalamar, 18 April 2008 - 04:38 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

If the male contraceptive was available and legal, I would have Skyy infuse it into my vodka.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

I'd use it. Needles really don't scare me.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#9 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Apr 18 2008, 09:37 PM, said:

If the male contraceptive was available and legal, I would have Skyy infuse it into my vodka.

You've moved on from root beer??!!   :lol:

PS - good for you - on both counts.
Cats will never be extinct!

#10 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:57 PM

If I were a dude, I'd take it.  However, I don't think that really counts.  I already take birth control, albeit for other reasons.

HOWEVER

If/when it gets FDA approved and manufactured, I'm not taking a guy's word for it that he's safe regardless.  I want and clean bill of health first (aka STD screening) AND I'll remain on the pill myself if we get serious enough to stop using condoms.  There will be no babies coming out of me, and I don't trust most guys not to lie about it just so they can get nookie.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:33 AM

I might not use it myself but I am glad to see that such a thing has been worked out.

Edited by G1223, 19 April 2008 - 12:34 AM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:40 AM

So long as it does make the gun unable to fire, then i wouldnt mind as much if it were shooting blanks...

Besides, the world doesn't need my offspring in any case.

D'

#13 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:05 AM

View PostChakoteya, on Apr 18 2008, 02:15 PM, said:

Wow! Aussies have made it work?

Impressive.

But why am I not surprised that the firms aren't keen on marketing it? Could it be because it is an injection? Or because they are men who don't want their maleness interfered with chemically.

Any fellows here fancy trying to explain it?

Would YOU have the jab?

I'm simply going to say that on average, males usually forget to take their pills/medication anyway. ;)  So that's why it isn't practical. :hehe:

Sexist?  Maybe (I am a male btw for those who didn't know.)  But in all honesty, it's the truth.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#14 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

^It's getting an injection every few months, as opposed to taking a pill every day.  There are female hormone injections too, that are spaced apart like that.

I refuse to accept any kind of argument that basically says, "well, women are so much better at being responsible, so they should be the ones to take care of all these inconvenient details like birth control".  besides, any guy that actually cares about whether or not he's going to become a dad can remember that kind of thing.  If they can remember the scores on a football game that happened 10 years ago, they can keep a doctors appointment in their calender.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#15 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

View PostNikcara, on Apr 19 2008, 10:50 AM, said:

^It's getting an injection every few months, as opposed to taking a pill every day.  There are female hormone injections too, that are spaced apart like that.

I refuse to accept any kind of argument that basically says, "well, women are so much better at being responsible, so they should be the ones to take care of all these inconvenient details like birth control".  besides, any guy that actually cares about whether or not he's going to become a dad can remember that kind of thing.  If they can remember the scores on a football game that happened 10 years ago, they can keep a doctors appointment in their calender.

Not to mention some men claim women aren't good at keeping up on birth control (either accidentally, or they accuse on purpose), why not be in control yourself?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

No disagreement from me. My refusal has to do with my age and a desire to not cause any sort of imbalnce in my body already. I am boarderline diabetic. And I have other health issues I would want addressed before just jumping and taking the shot.

But I see this as a reasonable method if it is proven to work and have no side effects.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#17 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

I'll be curious to see (when and if this male contraceptive hits the US market) what the response will be. Until now, short of condoms, men have been able to say they really didn't have much for options. Now they will have one very viable option. Will they use it or won't they? Will this option change the complexion of the argument about women being responsible for birthcontrol. Once this hits the market will responsibility for protecting ones self from unwanted children finally fall equally on both participants?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

View PostLin731, on Apr 19 2008, 05:56 PM, said:

Will this option change the complexion of the argument about women being responsible for birthcontrol. Once this hits the market will responsibility for protecting ones self from unwanted children finally fall equally on both participants?

IMO any man who says that birthcontrol is the woman's responsibility is being a jackass. It takes two to tango, and two to worry about making sure no one gets unintentionally pregnant or diseased.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#19 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

IMO any man who says that birthcontrol is the woman's responsibility is being a jackass. It takes two to tango, and two to worry about making sure no one gets unintentionally pregnant or diseased.

I completely agree but apparently there are alot of jackasses out there since anytime the birthcontrol debate comes up, there are many men that feel exactly that way. It's a shame really because there are many other men that don't share that POV that get broadbrushed because of it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Wait - this INCREASES testosterone??

I can see reasons not to be enthusiastic about hopping men up on a 4 month long testosterone elevation....

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Male Contraception, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users