• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:10 AM

View PostNikcara, on Apr 19 2008, 09:50 AM, said:

^It's getting an injection every few months, as opposed to taking a pill every day.  There are female hormone injections too, that are spaced apart like that.

I refuse to accept any kind of argument that basically says, "well, women are so much better at being responsible, so they should be the ones to take care of all these inconvenient details like birth control".  besides, any guy that actually cares about whether or not he's going to become a dad can remember that kind of thing.  If they can remember the scores on a football game that happened 10 years ago, they can keep a doctors appointment in their calender.

No no, not to sound offensive, but you're either misreading my post or putting words in my mouth.  I wasn't implying that men are lazy/unresponsible and women should be the only one's to deal with the sexual contraceptions.  If it were a shot thing every four months, then yes, I don't see men in general having problems with it.  I also don't think it should be a women's responsibility to bring other things like condoms and so on.  That should be the guy's responsibility (barring any kind of surprise kind of thing by the girl).  But as far as pill taking goes, that's a general topic.  I know and have observed that in general, men will be more forgetting to take the pills and/or needing to be reminded by women.  That observation goes beyond me, my family and/or friends.

As far as the injections for women.  From the news stories I've read/seen, I honestly don't think it would be worth the risk at this point.  They seem to be still too developmental.  There are a lot of more side-effects caused.  So from that perspective, I'd be alone worried about taking any kind of shot for a man (as much I would be for a woman).
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#22 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:19 AM

View PostLin731, on Apr 19 2008, 12:39 PM, said:

IMO any man who says that birthcontrol is the woman's responsibility is being a jackass. It takes two to tango, and two to worry about making sure no one gets unintentionally pregnant or diseased.

I completely agree but apparently there are alot of jackasses out there since anytime the birthcontrol debate comes up, there are many men that feel exactly that way. It's a shame really because there are many other men that don't share that POV that get broadbrushed because of it.

or as I see with mine, possibly getting misconceived on prejudice ideas.  Forgive me if that's coming out harshly.  It's not meant to.  I'm simply saying that because there are, as Gode and yourself put it, a lot of jacka$$es out there who think nothing of responsibility at all and treat women like crap as it hinders thoughts on another branch of the tree.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#23 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

or as I see with mine, possibly getting misconceived on prejudice ideas. Forgive me if that's coming out harshly. It's not meant to. I'm simply saying that because there are, as Gode and yourself put it, a lot of jacka$$es out there who think nothing of responsibility at all and treat women like crap as it hinders thoughts on another branch of the tree.

No offense taken. It really is unfortunate because it hinders all sides from moving forward when you're dealing with folks from either gender that treat sex and procreation in a thoughtless way.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

I must have misread you, FnlPrlbm, and I apologize.  I agree with what you're saying.  It's why, as a female, I'll still feel that I have to protect myself and won't just take a guy's word that he is on the pill or not.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#25 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:50 AM

View PostLin731, on Apr 19 2008, 09:56 AM, said:

I'll be curious to see (when and if this male contraceptive hits the US market) what the response will be. Until now, short of condoms, men have been able to say they really didn't have much for options. Now they will have one very viable option. Will they use it or won't they? Will this option change the complexion of the argument about women being responsible for birthcontrol. Once this hits the market will responsibility for protecting ones self from unwanted children finally fall equally on both participants?

As much as I HATE the idea of children, I'd be hesitant to take this. For one, its too new. I don't know if its going to make my testicles fall off or not.

Besides, keeping it in your pants is 100% effective. Works every time.

View PostQueenTiye, on Apr 19 2008, 03:58 PM, said:

Wait - this INCREASES testosterone??

I can see reasons not to be enthusiastic about hopping men up on a 4 month long testosterone elevation....

QT

Yeah. I'm already aggressive enough.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#26 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:53 AM

View PostNikcara, on Apr 21 2008, 06:35 PM, said:

I must have misread you, FnlPrlbm, and I apologize.  I agree with what you're saying.  It's why, as a female, I'll still feel that I have to protect myself and won't just take a guy's word that he is on the pill or not.

It comes down to trust. For me, if I'm going to be sticking my dick into it, I have to completly and totally trust that person. As such, I'm going to trust that they aren't lying to me or are playing games to get pregnant. If I can't trust that they aren't being truthful, sorry, time to move on.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#27 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:55 AM

I think that neither side in a sexual encounter should necesarily take anything for granted. Yes, there has to be trust in even a casual sexual encounter, but the doesn't mean you should come down with a case of the stupids.

Even if she's on the pill, I'd still wear a condom (or take this jab) just simply because when it comes to possible pregnancy or disease I damned sure would rather be safe than sorry.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#28 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

I would never date a jacka$$ who considered it to be solely the woman's responsibility. I thoroughly agree with Gode on this issue.

Except.....

I don't see a problem with men who refuse to take the pill. As a woman, I refuse to take the female version, and that's been around longer. I don't want something messing up my hormones, I get that every month as it is. The pill is tricky, has undesirable side effects and is a long term hassle with your doctor to sort out. No way. Condom is the answer as far as I'm concerned. Then again I personally don't go in for casual sex, I guess it is a personal choice.

I just don't agree that people are "cowards" if they don't want the pill. There are good reasons not to want to take it. Doesn't mean you're a jacka$$.

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 23 April 2008 - 10:13 AM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#29 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

View PostChakoteya, on Apr 18 2008, 02:15 PM, said:

Would YOU have the jab?

Depends on the side effects.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#30 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

This isn't really NEW new, though.
I think the pharmaceutical industry has lagged behind on developing (big push to verify the biology in published tests and marketing to get this as common-place as female hormone contraceptions choices) due to their perceived poor reception in potential male recipients.

Biological effects-wise, (and efficacy) this have been proven for a while now, no?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Male Contraception, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users