• Please log in to reply
687 replies to this topic

#41 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

I intend to read that some day, but they surprisingly did not have a copy at my favorite used book store.  (Or, if they did, I couldn't find it.)

The other Tolstoy works I read in that class were The Death of Ivan Ilyich and The Cossacks.

I'd love to go take more of the classes offered on Slavic and Russian history and literature here, but a good chunk of them are taught by these two professors I cannot stand, or are taught in Russian, which I don't speak a word of.

#42 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

Just started reading "Night Watch".  I'm loving it.
Posted Image

#43 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

I've been reading The Da Vinci Code on and off since the end of April when I started it on the bus home from seeing my boyfriend. It's okay. I like parts, then I get bored. Repeatedly. That's why it's taking forever to get through it.
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#44 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

^  Angels and Demons is a MUCH better story and it's also better written.

The Da Vinci Code is highly overrated.

Lil
Posted Image

#45 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jun 24 2008, 07:05 PM, said:

The ending is a letdown.  Well, to this Catholic school survivor, anyway.  I like Da Vinci Code better for the puzzles, and the locations.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#46 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jun 24 2008, 10:05 PM, said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I just read a bit about it on wiki, and it definitely sounds interesting. I'll have to find a copy and read it. :)
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#47 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

View Postsilverwind, on Jun 23 2008, 06:10 PM, said:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

My 6th grade teacher told me to read that when I turned 18. It took me a few years after that to read it. I recently picked up a new copy of the book, but haven't started reading it yet.

Just finished Ayn Rand's Anthem. Good story and a quick read. The copy I got actually has 2 copies of the book, since she had done revisions. The 2nd half is the original copy of the book with her handwritten notes. However, so many words are completely blotted out and her notes are photocopied in a way to be almost illegible. A nice idea, but pretty much useless.

Just started The Golden Compass, which 2 people recommended to me.

#48 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

View PostiMel, on Jun 25 2008, 01:55 AM, said:

I've been reading The Da Vinci Code on and off since the end of April when I started it on the bus home from seeing my boyfriend. It's okay. I like parts, then I get bored. Repeatedly. That's why it's taking forever to get through it.

I'm surprised. Dan Brown really knows how to end a chapter in a way that makes me want to really get into the next chapter.

#49 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

I've hated Ayn Rand every time I've been forced to read her.  She drives me nuts.  

I've read the entire Golden Compass series.  It's very good, though there are a few parts that don't sit well with me, and I wasn't terribly fond of the ending (the final twist just seemed like the universe was being a jerk).  Parts of the last book felt a like atheist preaching to me.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#50 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

View PostBroph, on Jun 25 2008, 05:18 PM, said:

I'm surprised. Dan Brown really knows how to end a chapter in a way that makes me want to really get into the next chapter.

I don't think he's a good writer.  

Nonny I said Angels and Demons is a better book, not that it's brilliant or anything.;)
Posted Image

#51 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

View PostNikcara, on Jun 25 2008, 10:40 PM, said:

I've hated Ayn Rand every time I've been forced to read her.  She drives me nuts.  

I've read the entire Golden Compass series.  It's very good, though there are a few parts that don't sit well with me, and I wasn't terribly fond of the ending (the final twist just seemed like the universe was being a jerk).  Parts of the last book felt a like atheist preaching to me.

I read The Fountain Head because Tyr was reading it in an ep of Andromeda.

As a work of fiction it was pretty good.  As any kind of commentary on how a life ought to work or what constitutes a healthy sexual relationship it's pure crap.  It irks me no end that a woman thinks like this.

I tried to read Atlas Shrugged.  I really did.  But it was just so ham fisted and unengaging that I gave up.
Posted Image

#52 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

Over the holiday I read three books, one was a Jeeves and Wooster story from P.G. Wodehouse :love: Absolutely love those books, light-hearted, clever, funny... :love:

Anyways, another was Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier...considering Jamaica Inn rates as one of my favourite books, I didn't like Frenchman's Creek nearly as much really. It's very well written, certainly, but I could relate much more to the heroine of Jamaica Inn, Mary Yellan, than I could to Dona St. Colomb. It didn't quite do it for me, but it was certainly readable and very very good.

The third was Hugh Laurie's novel called "The Gun Seller" - excellent. Very funny, very clever, very easy to read, in fact I zipped through it with such pace that by the end of the holiday I had to borrow one of my mum's books, which is....

Death at Apothecaries' Hall by Deryn Lake, which is immensely readable and I have a particular interest in this period anyway, because it features John Fielding, someone I admire a great deal. Naturally being one of my mum's, it's a murder mystery :lol:

Now I'm also reading Wild Swans, by Jung Chang, having been to China and been ashamed of my own ignorance of the commonly referenced book.  

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#53 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jun 26 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

View PostBroph, on Jun 25 2008, 05:18 PM, said:

I don't think he's a good writer.  

Nonny I said Angels and Demons is a better book, not that it's brilliant or anything.;)
I read Da Vinci Code because I happened to notice that one of the back cover blurbs had been written by Robert Crais.  I agree with Bob.   :)
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#54 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Jul 10 2008, 07:08 AM, said:

Over the holiday I read three books, one was a Jeeves and Wooster story from P.G. Wodehouse :love: Absolutely love those books, light-hearted, clever, funny... :love:
I love Wodehouse!  I should indulge in a therapeutic reread.    :cool:
Posted Image

#55 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:13 PM

And speaking of Robert Crais, I just finished Chasing Darkness.  Wow!  I have enjoyed all his books, but this one replaces LA Requiem as my favorite.    :cool:

And according to RC, I'm Joe Pike's main grrl.    :cool: :cool:
Posted Image

#56 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

Whutsa book?  :D :unsure:

#57 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:58 PM

Well. speaking of books on China I recently finished Red Scarf Girl.  Not bad, certainly an interesting story, but I felt at the end of the book there was still lot more story.  Then again, given that it was a woman's recollections of her childhood and the Cultural Revolution, completing the story probably would have meant either writing to the end of the Cultural Revolution itself (I wouldn't have minded) or have become a very long autobiography (I still probably wouldn't have minded).  It did a very good job of showing what life for the average person was like during the Cultural Revolution, but it never addressed why it happened, so I imagine anyone not familiar with that era of Chinese history would be very confused.

I'm now about half-way through Lab 257, a book about a biological weapons research facility.  It's pretty interesting, though sometimes I have to pause and think about what is being said.  The problem that is has is that the writer - though obviously intelligent and knowing more about microbiology/virology then the average person - is clearly not a scientist and has a hard time explaining certain details well.  Other times I have to sit and think about the fact that some of this stuff actually happened and the potential ramifications of that plus the whole holy crap someone actually had the balls to do THAT.  Also, I'm tired about hearing about the evils of the Nazi scientists who were brought in under Operation Paperclip.  Yes, I know they did incredibly messed up stuff.  Yes, I know the US rather ignored its own morals when it decided not to prosecute them for war crimes because they were working for us now.  No, I don't want to hear about how Erich Traub was a Nazi again.  I got it the first time you told me.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#58 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

Though I haven't got to the end yet, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Wild Swans is a must-read book. It's fascinating, and extremely well written, as well as being all true. It is simply a woman, Jung Chang, describing the lives of her brave grandmother, who was a concubine, had bound feet and eventually married a doctor; her mother who was a communist party member and incredibly courageous; and herself (she's still only a child in the bit I've read up to). But that description of it doesn't do it justice really, so you'll have to trust me when I say it's just a must-read. It's a real page-turner.

I've also started reading Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux, but I'm not far enough through it to comment yet.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#59 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jun 26 2008, 08:14 PM, said:

View PostNikcara, on Jun 25 2008, 10:40 PM, said:

I read The Fountain Head because Tyr was reading it in an ep of Andromeda.

As a work of fiction it was pretty good.  As any kind of commentary on how a life ought to work or what constitutes a healthy sexual relationship it's pure crap.  It irks me no end that a woman thinks like this.

I tried to read Atlas Shrugged.  I really did.  But it was just so ham fisted and unengaging that I gave up.

Haha, I'm reading the Fountainhead right now. Just into Part Two, and so far your comments on relationships has me agreeing. That has been irksome, and now I'm assuming by your statement that it really won't get any better, will it?

All the women in it so far have left me frustrated that they lack any ability to fight, they're just kind of weird blobs of archetypes. And the men are a**holes, at best, when interacting with the women. So far I've been much more interested in the architectural interactions and the social stuff.

My mom read these books, and so far they really don't seem like the kind she'd read. She's the one who got me into LotR at a very early age, and then stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars and stuff like that. She's a very fantastical person, not so much like this.

But I'm liking the book well enough. It's better than a lot that I've read, and worse than some. Kind of high-middle. I guess.
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#60 Lupatria

Lupatria

/thoughtfully smiling

• Islander
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

I've just finished reading 'P.S. I Love You' by Cecelia Ahern.  I watched the film originally as something to have on in the background whilst I tidied around and ended up sitting down and watching it.  Having quite enjoyed it I picked up the book when I saw it for a few quid somewhere and as predicted the book is ten times better than the film =)
Saying this however, I wasn't fantastically satisfied with the ending.

Next on my list is 'I Am A Cat' by Soseki Natsume, something from Japan which sounds quite amusing.  Basically it's the story of an unwanted and unloved kitten who observes his world and tells the stories of the human nature he sees.  I've also got Joanne Harris' 'The Lollipop Shoes' to finish as well as a list about a mile long of other things to read.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users