Details in this thread

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
688 replies to this topic

#681 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:38 AM

I am working on Lethal White, the fourth book in the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith, aka JK Rowling. It is definitely a slow burn novel but it has me hooked.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#682 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

Why would someone with the most marketable name in the galaxy use a pseudonym?  :unsure:

At the moment, I am beta reading a novel for a friend, then I'll be reading Catching Light, also by a friend, and then I'll get to Octavia Gone, the new Alex Benedict novel by Jack McDevitt.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#683 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:16 PM

Why would someone with the most marketable name in the galaxy use a pseudonym?  :unsure:

I believe it was because she didn't have the pressure of releasing a book that would be just as good as HP and become a phenomenon like that series. She could work on her craft without people reading the novels with preconceived notions. I know a lot of fans weren't too happy with The Casual Vacancy, her first post Potter novel.

I think it was the wife of someone who works for the publisher who let the cat out of the bag, but JKR still releases the books under the pseudonym. If you like mystery novels I recommend them.

I think I might re-read the Pendragon series next. It has been many years since I've read them.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#684 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

Ah, that makes sense.  I'll pick them up, for the sake of supporting her, if nothing else. Good for her for expanding her horizons.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#685 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:48 PM

I did start reading the first Pendragon novel, The Merchant of Death.

I am still slowly working on my great Treklit read through. I am currently on Star Trek: The Next Generation - Gemworld Book 2 by John Vornholt.

Ah, that makes sense.  I'll pick them up, for the sake of supporting her, if nothing else. Good for her for expanding her horizons.

They are really good murder mystery novels with great characters. I don't think you will be disappointed.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#686 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:41 PM

I've finished beta reading my friend's novel and now I'm going to start in on Catching Light, which is also by a friend.  Then I'll read the latest Alex Benedict novel by Jack McDevitt.

#687 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:00 AM

Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron by Alex Freed. It is set right after RoTJ as the New Republic contends with the fractured Empire. One intelligence officer wants to go after a TIE squadron called Shadow Wing that is setting up a base on a mining planet. He is given limited resources so he recruits five wildly different pilots with different ships (an X-Wing, Y-Wing, U-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing; hence the title) and tries to make them into an effective fighting force.

It is a good novel so far. The characters are complicated and fully fleshed out. The leader of the squad, Quell, is a recent Empire defector and while she wants to prove her worth to the New Republic she has conflicted feelings about fighting the Empire.

The novel does a good job of fleshing out what the Aftermath trilogy set up with regards to the Empire. With many admirals and governors staking out their own claims the New Republic finds itself fighting a hydra, chopping off one head only to discover two more in its place.

I've read about six of the new Star Trek novels and they have all been pretty good.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 20 June 2019 - 11:02 AM.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#688 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

A Clockwork Orange, finally. Well-written. Flowers For Algernon, first time since high school. Blew my mind as a kid, underwhelmed me as an adult.

Why do so many stories from childhood not do it for you as an adult? The odd one maintains its charms, but for the most part . . .
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#689 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

Why do so many stories from childhood not do it for you as an adult? The odd one maintains its charms, but for the most part . . .

I think it is just part of growing up. What wowed us as kids doesn't always wow us as adults. Your tastes also change. There have been several books and movies that I loved as a kid that I regretted revisiting. Some have held up, like the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate.

I found a used book in my city which surprised me. I bought quite a few books.

I am reading the Moriarty series by Michael Kurland. The series focuses on Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes' nemesis. The series posits that while Moriarty is a criminal and engages in criminal activities he isn't the horrible scumbag that Sherlock thinks he is. In the first novel he is hired by the Russian government who want him to stop a rogue Russian spy from committing an atrocity in London.

I picked up The Call of Cthulhu and Other Dark Tales by H.P. Lovecraft. I am playing a game which is based on the Cthulhu Mythology and it dawned on me that I had read only a few stories by Lovecraft and that was many years ago. This collection has 15 of his stories.

I have also started Sherlock Holmes: The Stuff of Nightmares by James Lovegrove. It sees Sherlock encountering what is essentially a steampunk powered vigilante. I couldn't pass that up.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users