• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25145431/

Heard this on the radio as I was driving home, and my jaw dropped.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

beat me to it, LOTS.  i'm shocked as well.  he was in the prime of his life.

RIP, Tim.  you were a great newscaster. :(

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#3 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

Far too young . . . my thoughts to his friends, family and collegues who must still be in shock.  :(

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

Holy cow, I was looking forward to watching him election night with his white board and markers, doing electoral vote scenarios.  He was so young and at the height of his career. :(

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

I too was shocked when I heard the news.  My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

This is truly an awful shock. I feel so for his family and friends.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#7 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

What terrible and shocking news.

Mr. Russert was one of the few politically-connected media figures whom I respected for his moderate attitude, and his passing will leave a great void in the industry.

My deep condolences to his family and friends.

Batrochides

#8 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:24 PM

RIP Mr. Russert

-30-
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#9 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

I was on Fire Island, out of all touch with the outside world, and saw this on the cover of The New York Times.  

What a shock!  My heart goes out to his family, friends and colleagues.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

I can't help but wonder....Can you imagine the interview going on up in Heaven right now?

Russert: Now GOD, about the flood thing....
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

:welldone:
Can't Touch This!!

#12 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

I heard it on NPR while driving, and all I could think of was, he was younger than me.    :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:32 AM

View PostNonny, on Jun 16 2008, 11:26 AM, said:

I heard it on NPR while driving, and all I could think of was, he was younger than me.    :(

I called home to tell the brother we were starting for home the next day. He told me about it, and commented a couple of times that Russert was younger then himself.

From what I heard on the news, Plaque collasped in one artery and blocked blood flow to the heart. He didn't have a chance.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Tim Russert, Journalist, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users