Details in this thread

Irresponsible Parents, Kids & Motor Scooters

Children Parents Motor Scooters New Jersey 2003

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:19 AM

I happen to live in Northern New Jersey, near New York City. There has been an explosion of mini-scooters in this area. I don't know how it is in other parts of the United States, but mini-scooters are EVERYWHERE in my neck fo the woods.

Anyway, what has me REALLY ticked off is the alarming number of CHILDREN I see using these things. Um-these things, no matter how small, are MOTOR VEHICLES.  :angry:  They are NOT toys. And yet, apparently ANYONE can get them. You don't need a license or anything like that to buy or use them.

Today, I saw 3 kids riding these things on sidewalks.  :crazy:   :glare: I thought, "My God...they could easily injure or kill someone." And I don't care how responsible some of these youngsters THINK they are-THEY'RE KIDS.

What kind of idiotic, mentally unbalanced PARENT would BUY something like this for their kids?!?!?!?  :wacko:   :unsure:  :glare:  :angry:

There should be some strict laws on the book: no one under 17 years of age can use a mini-scooter, and any kids caught using one will have it confiscated and the parents face a $1,000 fine, or stiffer.

These are NOT toys. And one day, a kid will either kill someone or be killed by someone while riding these things.  :angry:

Saul Trabal

Edited by Vapor Trails, 02 July 2003 - 04:48 AM.

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:38 AM

I agree. I have a friend whose son spent the summer several years ago on Joe Montana's ranch, and he was seriously injured riding a scooter that got away from him - in spite of the fact that he wasn't going that fast and he WAS wearing a helmet.  He was about 10 at the time IIRC.

Those things are DAMN dangerous. Young children have no business whatsoever riding them - and I think teens who ride them ought to be licensed.

Edited by Rhea, 02 July 2003 - 04:38 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:41 AM

Rhea, on Jul 1 2003, 05:39 PM, said:

I agree. I have a friend whose son spent the summer several years ago on Joe Montana's ranch, and he was seriously injured riding a scooter that got away from him - in spite of the fact that he wasn't going that fast and he WAS wearing a helmet.  He was about 10 at the time IIRC.

Those things are DAMN dangerous. Young children have no business whatsoever riding them.
Rhea,

The number of kids I see riding them in my area is A-L-A-R-M-I-N-G. I swear-I think it's going to take someone getting killed before laws are brought forth. :( Unfortunately, that's how things usually work.  :unsure:  :sarcasm:

One of these kids WILL get run over and killed by a car. And it's not a question of IF-it's a question of WHEN.

I'm shocked that the local news agencies aren't jumping on this.  :angry:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 02 July 2003 - 04:42 AM.

#4 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:45 AM

Rhea adds:

"...and I think teens who ride them ought to be licensed."

I think ANYONE who rides these things should have a license.

There's some wacky adults out there too.

Saul

#5 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:57 AM

I just sent an email to the local CBS affiliate here, asking them to do a report on this.

I'm not sure they will do anything, but it's a start.

#6 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:59 AM

There's some wacky adults out there too.

Unfortuantely, too true.

I haven't seen a lot of miniscooters in my area but my area is huge (DFW area) so the use of miniscooters in a very busy, spread out metroplex may not be of any benefit.  I have seen a few teens and younger kids on motorized versions of the stand up shiny metal scooters you typically move by foot but I don't think that's what you're talking about.  I agree that anything motorized and is used outside one's own property should have a required license to drive as well as an insurance requirement.

#7 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:12 AM

Most of the scooters I've seen are pretty similar to this one here:

http://www.electroni...npustgass1.html

Some of them have little trunks, headlights, and directional lights. But they are all about the size of this one, and are pull-start models.

#8 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:23 AM

Okay, no, that's not what I've seen around here although that site does have the motorized stand up scooters I have seen.  As to the scooters being ridden on side-walks- that would depend on city ordinances.  Most of the cities in the DFW metroplex have ordinances against riding motorized vehicles and even bikes on side-walks.  If the scooters require a registration then they probably have a license or permit requirement.  You might also check into what qualifies as "street legal" in your area.  Good luck!

#9 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:36 AM

gadfly, on Jul 1 2003, 06:24 PM, said:

Okay, no, that's not what I've seen around here although that site does have the motorized stand up scooters I have seen.  As to the scooters being ridden on side-walks- that would depend on city ordinances.  Most of the cities in the DFW metroplex have ordinances against riding motorized vehicles and even bikes on side-walks.  If the scooters require a registration then they probably have a license or permit requirement.  You might also check into what qualifies as "street legal" in your area.  Good luck!
These scooters are all the rage here. I can't go anywhere and NOT see them.

I think they're cool-but I don't like the fact that just anyone can buy or use them.

And I'm just WAITING to hear about some kid getting killed while riding one of these things. That's how crazy it's gotten around my neighborhood. :(

I'm surprised I haven't heard anything yet.  :suspect:  :eh:

#10 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 07:24 AM

In West Virginia the problem is four wheelers. The all terain type, with the big soft tires. I think it was 15 kids killed on them last year. The Legislature looked at it this year and did very little. No license required, and after the last leg session, they are legal on unlined roads. The road on the hollow where I live is two lanes, but unlined, or no dividing line down the middle, making it legal for four wheelers. I wonder how many kids will die this year?
Can't Touch This!!

#11 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 07:36 AM

Hrm...

Interesting...

Kindof reminds me of the case a few years back where the older gentleman in the motorized wheelchair was taken in for driving without a license and operating an unlicensed motor vehicle on the street where there was no sidewalk...

IOW, there's a reason why the laws are written the way they are in regards to engine/motor size and power. Frankly, I think this speaks more to parenting than anything else. If the kids are endangering others, then sure, there's a problem, and there are laws to deal with that. Otherwise, the parents should be telling these kids "no" or at the very least how to ride these things safely and responsibly.

My $.02
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#12 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 09:11 AM

jon3831, on Jul 1 2003, 08:37 PM, said:

Hrm...

Interesting...

Kindof reminds me of the case a few years back where the older gentleman in the motorized wheelchair was taken in for driving without a license and operating an unlicensed motor vehicle on the street where there was no sidewalk...

IOW, there's a reason why the laws are written the way they are in regards to engine/motor size and power. Frankly, I think this speaks more to parenting than anything else. If the kids are endangering others, then sure, there's a problem, and there are laws to deal with that. Otherwise, the parents should be telling these kids "no" or at the very least how to ride these things safely and responsibly.

My $.02
Um...how in the world are you going to compare an old man using a wheelchair to minors using scooters???

I'm not even going to bother explaining the differences here; they should be obvious. :Oo:

Scratch that, I'll mention one OBVIOUS difference: a scooter can travel MUCH, MUCH faster and can actually kill someone in a collision.

:eh:  :sarcasm:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 02 July 2003 - 09:16 AM.

#13 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:29 AM

When I was little, the coolest thing in the world to me was a go-cart.  I wanted one so amazingly badly because they were so much fun and they were FAST.  So I certainly can understand their popularity . . . my mother never bought me one tho because of 1) expense and 2) safety.  Whenever we'd go to friends houses who had one we'd ride in the go cart, but under strict adult supervision and in the back yard on a dirt track ONLY.  Doing anything crazier than driving around the dirt track in a broad circle would've gotten you tugged by your ear and taken home angrily by your parents.

There were also a number of theme-park type places that did this sort of thing as well--again, any unsafe driving practices were an instant kick-out.

Granted, these things topped out at maybe 13mph downhill when a gust of wind was at your back, but that's still plenty to cause serious injuries or death . .  but I agree wholeheartedly.  The product itself is not at fault . . . the marketing practices of the manufacturers might be a bit dubious . . . but ultimately it's the parent's responsibility (or lack thereof) that is to blame.

I see nothing wrong with a potentially dangerous toy--ALL toys are potentially dangerous . . . not to mention the myriad household items and appliances that can kill . . . so I find no fault in a parent that BUYS one of these things for there kids . . . just the ones that let the kids run off on their own with something like this and don't supervise and train them properly.  It's not the toy, it's the parental negligence that's to blame here.

I don't know exactly of the scooters you all are talking about, but I'd be willing to bet the risk of bikeriding is similar.  At full sprint, I could hit 20+mph on my bike, and down a steep slope possibly more . . . losing control going downhill at that speed could've resulted in a fatal accident . . .

-Nick

#14 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:50 AM

Nick,

1) IMNSHO, this is NOT a toy-so we'll have to agree to disagree. In a BIG way. :sarcasm:

2) I posted a link describing the scooter **I** was talking about-since this is something happening in *my* neck of the woods. Check the link.

3) Day and night difference between a bike and a MOTORIZED SCOOTER. With a scooter, you could reach speeds of 20 mph MUCH quicker than with a bike. Again-we'll have to agree to disagree about the differences.

:smirk:

#15 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 12:31 PM

Vapor, I checked your link, and while they're bigger than I thought they were, I still have to agree with Nick here...

Ultimately, this comes down to a parenting issue. I'll agree that kids shouldn't be riding these things without proper supervision.

But more laws?

These things shouldn't be on the street anyway. There are already laws to that effect. These things shouldn't be on the sidewalks. There are already laws against that. What good would more laws do, when the problem is enforcement?

That being said, I still wouldn't have a problem with kids riding these things off the streets under proper supervision.

I rode motorcycles when I was younger and throughly enjoyed it. But it was all with proper safety equipment and under parental supervision.

WWCELeMD?

#16 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 12:44 PM

jon writes:

"Vapor, I checked your link, and while they're bigger than I thought they were, I still have to agree with Nick here..."

We'll also have to agree to disagree, then.  :cool:

"Ultimately, this comes down to a parenting issue. I'll agree that kids shouldn't be riding these things without proper supervision."

I don't know that they should be riding them AT ALL. Kids can crow about being responsible all they want, but they are still KIDS. How many of them TRULY understand the consequences of an accident with one of these things?

It's not a bicycle-it's a minature MOTORCYCLE. It will get you going from 0 to 20 a LOT faster than a standard bicycle. Trust me-I've seen folks peel out on these things, and they can pick up speed REAL fast.

"But more laws?"

In this case, hell yes. IMNSHO.  :cool:

"These things shouldn't be on the street anyway. There are already laws to that effect."

ROFLMAO!!! Then you should take a trip to MY neighborhood then.  :lol: There aren't any laws HERE, because I see the damn things around all the time.

"These things shouldn't be on the sidewalks. There are already laws against that. What good would more laws do, when the problem is enforcement?"

That's why I fired off an email to the local CBS affiliate.

"That being said, I still wouldn't have a problem with kids riding these things off the streets under proper supervision. I rode motorcycles when I was younger and throughly enjoyed it. But it was all with proper safety equipment and under parental supervision."

Well, with all due respect, that was *your* parents. I wouldn't have a child mine ride motor bikes until they were at LEAST 17 or 18-and even then, with STRICT supervision.

Saul

Edited by Vapor Trails, 02 July 2003 - 12:46 PM.

#17 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 12:52 PM

Kosh, on Jul 1 2003, 08:25 PM, said:

In West Virginia the problem is four wheelers. The all terain type, with the big soft tires. I think it was 15 kids killed on them last year. The Legislature looked at it this year and did very little. No license required, and after the last leg session, they are legal on unlined roads. The road on the hollow where I live is two lanes, but unlined, or no dividing line down the middle, making it legal for four wheelers. I wonder how many kids will die this year?
Sorry I skipped this, Kosh.

:angry:

Morons...well, I guess HUMAN LIVES have NO VALUE THEN.

:crazy:   :glare:

Saul

#18 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 01:00 PM

Vapor Trails, on Jul 1 2003, 06:45 PM, said:

We'll also have to agree to disagree, then.  :cool:
Fair enough.  This board wouldn't be any fun if everyone agreed. ;) :cool:

I don't know that they should be riding them AT ALL. Kids can crow about being responsible all they want, but they are still KIDS. How many of them TRULY understand the consequences of an accident with one of these things?

That's where parental supervision and controlled circumstances come in.

ROFLMAO!!! Then you should take a trip to MY neighborhood then.  :lol: There aren't any laws HERE, because I see the damn things around all the time.

Still an enforcement issue, IMNSHO. Just because a law exists doesn't mean it's obeyed. ;)

Well, with all due respect, that was *your* parents. I wouldn't have a child mine ride motor bikes until they were at LEAST 17 or 18-and even then, with STRICT supervision.

Well, with all due respect, that's *you*. Now, just to make certain I'm parsing your argument correctly, you're asking for laws restricting kids from riding these things whether or not there is parental supervision, under any circumstance, correct?

WWCELeMD?

#19 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 01:09 PM

jon writes:

"Now, just to make certain I'm parsing your argument correctly, you're asking for laws restricting kids from riding these things whether or not there is parental supervision, under any circumstance, correct?"

Yes.

#20 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 01:11 PM

^Okay. Just wanted to make sure I understood.

I think you and I are going to have to agree to disagree. As long as they're kept off public streets, and riding is done safely and without supervision, I see no reason to outlaw them in the manner you suggest.

My $0.02.

WWCELeMD?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Children, Parents, Motor Scooters, New Jersey, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users