Irresponsible Parents, Kids & Motor Scooters

Children Parents Motor Scooters New Jersey 2003

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 01:13 PM

^

That's cool. As you said-what fun would it be agreeing with folks all the time?

;) :cool:

#22 Gvambat

Gvambat
  • Islander
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 02:22 PM

Well, with all due respect, that was *your* parents. I wouldn't have a child mine ride motor bikes until they were at LEAST 17 or 18-and even then, with STRICT supervision.
I'm not sure what the laws are like where you are, but I was legally allowed to get a learner's permit at 14 and restricted licence at 15 (which meant I could drive anywhere I could possibly pass off as being school or work related. Lovely old Kansas). Full drivers licence at 16. A car is bigger, heavier, probably goes faster, and fits more people, so I'd say it's got possiblities of being a lot more dangerous than a motor scooter. To me, that suggests that the licencencing laws, if any, should be either the same or less strict than those for cars.
Electrons behave like waves on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; like particles on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and like nothing at all on Sundays.

#23 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 July 2003 - 02:50 PM

Gvambat, on Jul 2 2003, 03:23 AM, said:

Well, with all due respect, that was *your* parents. I wouldn't have a child mine ride motor bikes until they were at LEAST 17 or 18-and even then, with STRICT supervision.
I'm not sure what the laws are like where you are, but I was legally allowed to get a learner's permit at 14 and restricted licence at 15 (which meant I could drive anywhere I could possibly pass off as being school or work related. Lovely old Kansas). Full drivers licence at 16. A car is bigger, heavier, probably goes faster, and fits more people, so I'd say it's got possiblities of being a lot more dangerous than a motor scooter. To me, that suggests that the licencencing laws, if any, should be either the same or less strict than those for cars.
Gvambat,

LOL, I live in New Jersey, and the state is a frigging JOKE when it comes to giving out licences. Any idiot could get behind the wheel of a car for two hours, and pass the stupid road test-since you don't actually have to take the damn car out into traffic. How do I know this? Because **I** was one of those idiots. I drove around a stadium parking lot for my road test-and passed.  :suspect:   :unsure: I got my license in 1983.

And I actually saw fools FAIL this test. Parallel parking was done between two cones. If you made two mistakes, you failed the road test. Hitting one cone counts as one mistake.

The moron who failed had a fairly large car. He floored the gas and knocked the cone in front of him several feet away-then did the same thing to the cone BEHIND HIM!!  :lol:

The examiner jumped out of that car and gave this fellow a SEVERE tongue-lashing. :p

My late dad knew better. Until I could REALLY drive the car well, he wouldn't let me use it on my own.

The road test has changed little since then. The one for school buses is MUCH more thorough, and they take you out ON THE ROADS, WITH TRAFFIC. Why the hell aren't road tests for cars done this way????  :angry:  :glare:  :crazy:

Ya know what? If it were up to me, I'd say:

Learner's permit AND restricted license at 17, full driver's license at 18.

I drive a school bus for a living. I've seen a lot of screwy drivers. I don't think 16-year olds should be driving cars, to be brutally honest.

Saul

Edited by Vapor Trails, 02 July 2003 - 02:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Children, Parents, Motor Scooters, New Jersey, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users