• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#1 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

So I wub my Playstation, I've been drooling everytime  stick a Blu-Ray disk in the player but it can also play games and here are my favorites in no particular order:

1) Heavenly Sword -

Andy Serkis and WETA were involved with the motion capture on this game and it shows. Andy plays King Bohan the heavy. On the surface this game seems to be just a beat'em up from the old school Streets of Rage days but there is a lot more going on here. As you progress through the game you open up more and more ways to kick a$$ and then there is the true "star" of the game, The Heavenly Sword which gets stronger and stronger (as it kills you). Yep, faster then you can say Stormbringer your character, Noriko finds out the sword comes with a heavy price tag. As well as Noriko, you also get another character to play, her younger sister Kei who uses a impressively sized Crossbow type weapon. The story is fun rollarcoaster ride of Stormbringer, Xena Warrior Princess and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon all from a fun female perspective. Yup, while most action games of this type play from the male perspective this one takes a different path and I like that. However they do play it safe by having Noreko wear...errr...well not much at all but with a knowing wink they make fun of themselves in the story by having Bohan and the pther baddies notice Noriko's costume. Heavenly Sword makes the single best use of The SIXAXIS controller. You litteraly get to stage your own Sam Raimi style steady cam action scene. You fly arrows, knives, cannonballs. rockets, shields, anything.

Graphics are top notch. Scenes look like Chinese paintings with a bright sunny pallet. Noriko runs, rolls throws things with very fluid movements, but they also enhance things, her long red hair moves with comic book like enhancement. When she is mad her hair flies up, when she is sad it droops, when she is running it flairs back like a comet tail.

One note - the game uses check points. *sigh* I was hoping with a hard drive all the games would use a simple save. But alas. At least these new games seems to use more save points but it is still frustrating to have to do the same thing over and over. That said, the story is good enough that I have continued and I am one frustrating screaming battle away from solving this game.

PS. Bohan Cheats. :(

2) Uncharted -

If you were a little disappointed by the new Indiana Jones movie. If Lara Crofts bosom doesn't have the same effect on you as it did when you were a horny teenager, then this might be your game.

You know he drill - you are a adventurer on a quest to find every last hidden treasure in this game and you have to use your guns and your brains to get through it all. You play as Nathan Drake who is a descendant of Sir Francis Drake. Or at least that is what he says he is. That is the best part of this game, the characters are not the usual square jawed heroes of games. Nate is a dork, Elena (the female lead) isn't the damsel in distress or the over sexed girlfriend for that matter. The game uses motion capture like Heavenly Sword but much more realistic (to match the setting).

The graphics are lush and full of life. The animators fill everything with personality. Drake doesn't always land the same way he sometimes stumbles, his clothes get wet and slowly dry. Water sprays and turns to mist. Everything in the game a physical weight. It is really breath taking and full of next gen goodness.

More later....

enTranced
Posted Image

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:49 PM

How about a list for a console that isn't the PS3? :p

(I've seen Uncharted in action though. It's good stuff...)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:01 PM

More on Uncarted -

The music is done by Greg Edmonson, best known around here as the guy who did the music for Firefly.

You can listen to some of his music from various parts of the game here :

http://www.1up.com/d...ure?cId=3164513

3) Gran Turismo 5 Prologue -

I don't buy to many racers but I do always pick up the latest GT game. The graphics are always top notch the music is always fun and it is just great to race around in recognizable cars that you may even buy or at least drive someday. This one is more of the same but the cars look better then ever now. The opening movie will melt your eyes it is so bright and shiny and if you are seeing it on a TV that supports 1080P you will probably drool openly so throw down a tarp or something.

Like always the controls are solid and the game is challenging but fun. It always trying to find a few seconds somehow. But on the flip side, like always it is a little weird to hit a wall at 100 miles an hour and not get hurt and not even needing to buff the car. :p

4) Grand Theft Auto 4 -

And here it is. :)

So lets get it out of the way :

1) If you are prone to get offended by video games, you WILL get offended. The game is rated M and it means it. It drops the F bomb, the S bomb and every other bomb it can get it's hands on. It makes fun of all the races, the genders the political parties and you. Frequently.

2) Even worse the game has a purpose, unlike previous versions this time they are going for satire. The game is a brutal unflinching look at America in 2008 and they pull no punches. Again, if this is going to piss you off you would be better to buy the next game over on the shelf.

3) But if you can man (or woman) up and take the heat then simply put :

This is the best game out there right now.

Yep. It gives you complete freedom to do what you want, when you want and how you want to do it. It is the best sandbox game out there, it is the best GTA game it is the best game on the shelf.

Oh, and you have not lived until you race a motorcycle with SIXAXIS.

The graphics are top notch and even when you have a full bank of stars and every single policman on Planet Earth is on your tail the PS3 never ever flinches.

enTranced
Posted Image

#4 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

View PostJosh, on Jun 20 2008, 05:49 PM, said:

How about a list for a console that isn't the PS3? :p

(I've seen Uncharted in action though. It's good stuff...)

Kind of hard since I don't own any of the others! :D

But I did a little review for GTA4 which is on XBox.

Uncharted is amazing and the best adventure game out there right now, although GTA4 has the better target system. It has never been so easy to have a shoot out on a console. I never once missed my Keyboard/Mouse and I live and breath mouse in shooters.

enTranced
Posted Image

#5 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:07 PM

I own GTA4 for the 360 and I stopped playing it after about eight hours. I just lost interest. The game isn't nearly as pretty as people claim (not compared to say, Metal Gear Solid 4) and the endless driving to get to missions (and to get BACK to missions if you die) really turned me off. I did like the main character quite a bit and the story was far more important than past games in the series... but in the end, it still felt too much like past games in the series.

Speaking of MGS4, it's the BIG thing right now and most people say it's the best game on the console. You'd better play it and put it on your list. :p

Oh, and Call of Duty 4 is the best game I've played on the 360. The single player campaign is just :eek4: If you're into online play, I've heard it's good there too but it's not my thing. ;)

Edited by Josh, 20 June 2008 - 01:09 PM.

#6 Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob
  • Islander
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

Well......I have the eXcellent Box 360 and these are the games that keep my grubby fingers busy....

NHL 2008 and NHL 2K8 .....I'm Canadian, I have to like hockey....it's the law.   :bowdown:

Dead Rising ....Zombies madness...fun times but harder than hell though.  :censored:  :wallbash:  :lol:

Call of Duty 4 ..... :drool:

#7 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:16 PM

View PostJosh, on Jun 20 2008, 06:07 PM, said:

I own GTA4 for the 360 and I stopped playing it after about eight hours. I just lost interest. The game isn't nearly as pretty as people claim (not compared to say, Metal Gear Solid 4) and the endless driving to get to missions (and to get BACK to missions if you die) really turned me off. I did like the main character quite a bit and the story was far more important than past games in the series... but in the end, it still felt too much like past games in the series.

Speaking of MGS4, it's the BIG thing right now and most people say it's the best game on the console. You'd better play it and put it on your list. :p

Oh, and Call of Duty 4 is the best game I've played on the 360. The single player campaign is just :eek4: If you're into online play, I've heard it's good there too but it's not my thing. ;)

I have somehow managed to avoid the the MGS franchise until now, I've seen others play but never really felt compelled until now. I have to say that movie I downloaded from the Sony Store looked pretty sweet.

The GTA-4 story is AWESOME. But then I am a sucker for the "THEY PULLED ME BACK!" gangster story line that Rockstar loves so much. Plus, the content of the game is so fracking GOOD! I love the way the (fake) Fox News network reports on your crimes. It is ugly, brutal and way, way to recognizable (and it's funny as hell).

enTranced
Posted Image

#8 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:18 PM

View PostRoberto, on Jun 20 2008, 06:08 PM, said:

Call of Duty 4 ..... :drool:

*sigh*

I don't know what it is but straight up war games just don't interest me.

But.....I will be picking up Resistance : Fall of Man because it has aliens.

Aliens (and Zombies) make everything better. :p

enTranced
Posted Image

#9 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

View PostJosh, on Jun 20 2008, 01:07 PM, said:

The game isn't nearly as pretty as people claim
Is so. :p It's a stunning rendering of New York City, not just the broad strokes but every little detail of every neighborhood.

(And that's coming from someone who's not usually a fan of hyperrealism in computer graphics. I think the cartoony, low-poly graphics of World of Warcraft are vastly superior to the tooth-achingly detailed visuals of Oblivion. My general feeling is, if I wanted to look at something that looks exactly like a guy walking down the road, I'd go outside and watch a guy walk down the road.)

and the endless driving to get to missions (and to get BACK to missions if you die) really turned me off.
You can usually hail a cab, y'know. :)

Edited by Dev F, 20 June 2008 - 01:36 PM.

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

View PostDev F, on Jun 20 2008, 02:35 PM, said:

(And that's coming from someone who's not usually a fan of hyperrealism in computer graphics. I think the cartoony, low-poly graphics of World of Warcraft are vastly superior to the tooth-achingly detailed visuals of Oblivion. My general feeling is, if I wanted to look at something that looks exactly like a guy walking down the road, I'd go outside and watch a guy walk down the road.)
Something tells me you're going to want to avoid Fallout 3 like the plague then... ;)
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#11 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

I would, except . . . it's Fallout 3! :)

#12 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

I'm looking forward to Battlefield: Bad Company in a week or so. I loved Battlefield 2142, and this one will actually have a single player storyline, heh.
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#13 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

View PostDev F, on Jun 20 2008, 02:45 PM, said:

I would, except . . . it's Fallout 3! :)
Good point... ;)
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#14 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

I don't know about how it looks on XBOX but in the PS3 Grand Theft Auto 4 looks stunning. I don't think it's the *best* of the games I own. I like the comic book feel of Heavenly Sword and the lush feel of Uncharted is more pleasing to my eye but unlike those games GTA 4 has to cover an entire city and THAT is where it wins. You can look at the city from any angle and the whole thing lives and breaths from the traffic to the people to the pidgins and litter in the streets.

And going across the bridge in a rainstorm while speeding and trying to not hydroplane off into the river and you can barely see a few inches in front of your Banshee......priceless.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 20 June 2008 - 07:15 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

Graphically, GTAIV does some things pretty well (the sheer scope of the city) and some things not so well (character models and building interiors). However, it's worth noting that I haven't made it to the MAIN downtown island yet, where I'm sure the game really opens up.

By all reports, the PS3 and 360 versions look identical.

And maaaaaaaaaaaaan! I was waiting for a shipment of 80 gig PS3s to arrive through Newegg (as I want the backwards compatibility with the PS2 that the more readily available 40 gig doesn't have) and they just shifted from "ETA 6/20/08" to "Out of Stock." I had it set to auto-notify as well so I'm guessing that the shipment didn't arrive. It's sold out everywhere else too. Guess I'll have to wait longer. I am NOT getting that butchered 40 gig.

#16 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:15 PM

View PostJosh, on Jun 20 2008, 07:36 PM, said:

Graphically, GTAIV does some things pretty well (the sheer scope of the city) and some things not so well (character models and building interiors). However, it's worth noting that I haven't made it to the MAIN downtown island yet, where I'm sure the game really opens up.

I am only up to the second island myself. But I am really looking forward to the whole city opening up.

enTranced
Posted Image

#17 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:19 PM

View PostenTranced, on Jun 20 2008, 05:15 PM, said:

View PostJosh, on Jun 20 2008, 07:36 PM, said:

I am only up to the second island myself. But I am really looking forward to the whole city opening up.

enTranced

Oooh! End of first island spoiler ahead!

Spoiler: click to show/hide
What did you think of the apartment fire and subsequent move? When the game goes for epic, it does a pretty good job. The
"execution" mission right before that fire was also pretty good.

Huh... maybe I should turn the game on after all! :o

#18 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

Europa Universalis.  One of the best strategy games I've ever played, hands down.

#19 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

I love strategy games, but I'm so awfully bad at them that I've stopped myself from buying any more :(
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#20 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

View PostJosh, on Jun 21 2008, 12:19 AM, said:

What did you think of the apartment fire and subsequent move? When the game goes for epic, it does a pretty good job. The
"execution" mission right before that fire was also pretty good.

Huh... maybe I should turn the game on after all! :o

I LOVED those missions. I am a fan of gangster movies that GTA thrives on, only instead of aping those films this time they are doing there own stuff and it works. The mission where Nico gets revenge for his cousin is huge and worthy of the Godfather. And yes, when the scene you mention plays that his pretty great and the fact that it is so far at least a permanent change in the city is cool.

The execution missions are a blast. And I love that the newspaper has the stories and then radio news breaks.

"Out of the closet" is black humor GOLD.

enTranced
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users