• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#161 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

View PostHusseintranced, on Oct 27 2008, 10:32 PM, said:

I do beleave I saw the Orange Box on sale for the PS3 for a steal. Hmmm...now you have me intrigued. Not to mention I never played Half Life 2 because me computer was not up to the task when it came out.
It's definitely worth every penny! :D The PC version even has the magnificent and downright hilarious Team Fortress 2. Half-Life 2 is simply a brilliant action/adventure game. The Half-Life 2 episodes are decent (Episode 2 is where things really get good) but Half-Life 2 is currently more of a complete package since Episode 3 isn't out yet. Portal is a little on the short side but it's a brilliant puzzle game with a rather twisted sense of humor. Loads of fun! :cool:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#162 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

View PostJosh, on Oct 27 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

Portal is wildly overrated. ;) It's more a tech demo than a game. Interesting while it lasts... but that's not for very long. Two hours, tops.
Which is precisely why I recommend getting it with the Orange Box. Otherwise you'll be spending $20 or so for a very limited, albeit fun, experience. ;)

#163 Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob
  • Islander
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

View PostHusseintranced, on Oct 27 2008, 07:08 PM, said:

If you haven't had a videogame blow your pants off yet you haven't played enough videogames!  :harper:

enTranced
Oh yeah, I have been blown away by a video game or two, I was just thinking of a different type of fallout blowing some pants off.....nevermind.... :look:  :whistle:

#164 Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob
  • Islander
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Oct 27 2008, 07:38 PM, said:

View PostJosh, on Oct 27 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

Portal is wildly overrated. ;) It's more a tech demo than a game. Interesting while it lasts... but that's not for very long. Two hours, tops.
Which is precisely why I recommend getting it with the Orange Box. Otherwise you'll be spending $20 or so for a very limited, albeit fun, experience. ;)
Portal is a good (cheap) pc game, it was on sale for $6.99 at a local EB-Games.

#165 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

I've almost bought the orange box several times but always decided against it. I may possibly get it in the future...
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#166 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:14 AM

View PostHawkeye, on Oct 28 2008, 01:00 AM, said:

I've almost bought the orange box several times but always decided against it. I may possibly get it in the future...

If you've already played Half-Life 2, I wouldn't bother. The episodic sequels are very decent but more of the same. If you haven't, BUY THE ORANGE BOX RIGHT NOW. Half-Life 2 is considered one of the best games in its genre and there's a reason. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#167 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:00 AM

Yeah, I haven't played Half life 2. I started Half Life but only got a little way in before i got a bit bored I think (it was a long time ago, I can't remember why I didn't finish it). Maybe i'll give it a go when i have some free time, but in the next few months I have Fable 2, Tomb Raider Underworld, Call of Duty 5 and the new Naruto game to play ;)
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#168 Guest-Husseintranced-Guest

Guest-Husseintranced-Guest

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

View PostJosh, on Oct 28 2008, 08:14 AM, said:

View PostHawkeye, on Oct 28 2008, 01:00 AM, said:

If you've already played Half-Life 2, I wouldn't bother. The episodic sequels are very decent but more of the same. If you haven't, BUY THE ORANGE BOX RIGHT NOW. Half-Life 2 is considered one of the best games in its genre and there's a reason. ;)

I haven't played Half Life 2 yet. Like I stated above I took at look at the requirements and my computer fainted.

But now that it is out for PS3 I think I might give it a look see when I have some extra cash.

enTranced

#169 Guest-Husseintranced-Guest

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:10 AM

View PostHawkeye, on Oct 28 2008, 09:00 AM, said:

Yeah, I haven't played Half life 2. I started Half Life but only got a little way in before i got a bit bored I think (it was a long time ago, I can't remember why I didn't finish it). Maybe i'll give it a go when i have some free time, but in the next few months I have Fable 2, Tomb Raider Underworld, Call of Duty 5 and the new Naruto game to play ;)

Underworld looks like it will be a lot of fun. I downloaded the storyline trailer and I liked what I saw.

enTranced

#170 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Incidentally, I've been hearing disturbing reports about Red Alert 3 not having a single player campaign but being entirely co-op, requiring a second player to be able to play. Anyone heard anything about this?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#171 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Oct 28 2008, 12:18 PM, said:

Incidentally, I've been hearing disturbing reports about Red Alert 3 not having a single player campaign but being entirely co-op, requiring a second player to be able to play. Anyone heard anything about this?
Those reports are only partially true. The single player campaign can be co-op but if another human player isn't invited, the game gives you an AI partner that you can give basic commands to. The biggest issues I've heard about are pathfinding problems (odd since C&C3 didn't have a huge issue with that), problems with the invitation system when you play online, and the game doesn't really move the genre forward (not exactly groundbreaking news seeing as it's a C&C game).

Edited by NeuralClone, 28 October 2008 - 11:38 AM.

#172 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Oct 28 2008, 04:37 PM, said:

Those reports are only partially true. The single player campaign can be co-op but if another human player isn't invited, the game gives you an AI partner that you can give basic commands to.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :p

Sorry, but it's bad enough having to fight an enemy, and not having to babysit an AI at the same time. ;)

The biggest issues I've heard about are pathfinding problems (odd since C&C3 didn't have a huge issue with that), problems with the invitation system when you play online, and the game doesn't really move the genre forward (not exactly groundbreaking news seeing as it's a C&C game).

I don't game online, so that's not an issue for me.

Thanks for the info though :)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#173 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Oct 28 2008, 01:30 PM, said:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :p

Sorry, but it's bad enough having to fight an enemy, and not having to babysit an AI at the same time. ;)
Yeah I hear ya. :lol: That said, apparently the computer players mostly manage things on their own without much babysitting. The only commands you can really give are things like, "hold this position," "move in," etc. So thankfully you don't really have to micro them all that much. You may not have to make use of the commands at all. If you had to combine lots of microing of the AI players with pathfinding issues, I can imagine that would get to be really irritating. But thankfully the AI players are masters of microing and the pathfinding problem would likely only affect human players (which is completely fixable with patches).

Of course, these are all second hand accounts. I won't be getting the game for a few more days so I really can't tell how exaggerated some of these things are by players. I find that "professional" critics tend to exaggerate in both extremes: they either give a game far too much praise and gloss over critical issues (e.g., not one single mention of the absurd DRM in Red Alert 3) or they go nuts over little things that barely crop up on most systems.

I don't game online, so that's not an issue for me.

Thanks for the info though :)
No prob! :D

#174 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

Oh and apparently J.K. Simmons and Tim Curry are absolutely hilarious in the cutscenes. :D

#175 Guest-Husseintranced-Guest

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Oct 28 2008, 04:37 PM, said:

View PostGodeskian, on Oct 28 2008, 12:18 PM, said:

Those reports are only partially true. The single player campaign can be co-op but if another human player isn't invited, the game gives you an AI partner that you can give basic commands to. The biggest issues I've heard about are pathfinding problems (odd since C&C3 didn't have a huge issue with that), problems with the invitation system when you play online, and the game doesn't really move the genre forward (not exactly groundbreaking news seeing as it's a C&C game).

Ick. That takes some of the wind out of the games sails for me. I don't mind playing the game multiplayer but I do NOT want to be forced into it.

I'm basically a anti-social bastard when it comes to videogames. Videogames, for me are mostly me-time and unless we are talking about a simple party game I just don't like to share. :p

The one exception to the rule I can think of is a MMORPG like City of Heroes.

enTranced

#176 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Oct 28 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

Yeah I hear ya. :lol: That said, apparently the computer players mostly manage things on their own without much babysitting. The only commands you can really give are things like, "hold this position," "move in," etc. So thankfully you don't really have to micro them all that much.

hmmm. I wonder if I could use them as bait, or as sacrificial lambs while my main attacks come in from elsewhere.  :whistle: :devil:

View PostNeuralClone, on Oct 28 2008, 05:46 PM, said:

Oh and apparently J.K. Simmons and Tim Curry are absolutely hilarious in the cutscenes. :D

I wouldn't expect otherwise. Have you SEEN the JK Simmons for president ads on the website? 'I've got two words for you, Attack Dogs!. No papers, no walls, just dogs. Attack dogs. Vote for me if you want to live' :lol:

View PostHusseintranced, on Oct 28 2008, 06:00 PM, said:

I'm basically a anti-social bastard when it comes to videogames. Videogames, for me are mostly me-time and unless we are talking about a simple party game I just don't like to share.

Seconded and for much the same reason.

Defy Gravity!

#177 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:40 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Oct 28 2008, 02:16 PM, said:

hmmm. I wonder if I could use them as bait, or as sacrificial lambs while my main attacks come in from elsewhere.  :whistle: :devil:
That's exactly how I was planning to use them actually... :devil:

I wouldn't expect otherwise. Have you SEEN the JK Simmons for president ads on the website? 'I've got two words for you, Attack Dogs!. No papers, no walls, just dogs. Attack dogs. Vote for me if you want to live' :lol:
Yeah I've seen them. :howling: Apparently Tim Curry has an absurdly bad Russian accent too. I figure that even if the game completely sucks (which I doubt), at least it'll have lots of amusing cutscenes to make it worthwhile. ;)

#178 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:15 PM

So....on a complete different sort of game topic...

Do any of you know/like flight simulators of any sort?  My first love in PC games was the old X-Wing game, and I've never been able to find another game of that sort that I enjoyed.  (Coming home from a bad day at school and blowing up TIE fighters for an hour was quite cathartic.  Man, do I wish I could get that game to run on Vista.  *sigh*)

The only flight sim I've seen on shelves lately at all is the Microsoft flight sim game, and from the box it doesn't seem to have much of a point other than "Take off, fly around, land.  Take off, fly around, land."

#179 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

I used to love Jane's Combat Simulations stuff to death. Unfortunately, EA never licensed the brand again and gutted the Jane's brand completely. Longbow 2 was an amazing game. LOADS of depth and at the time, gorgeous graphics.

It's a real shame there aren't more flight simulators getting made. Like the adventure game genre, flight simulators seem to be a dying (or possibly dead) breed. Just a damn shame. :(

#180 Guest-Husseintranced-Guest

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Oct 28 2008, 07:19 PM, said:

I used to love Jane's Combat Simulations stuff to death. Unfortunately, EA never licensed the brand again and gutted the Jane's brand completely. Longbow 2 was an amazing game. LOADS of depth and at the time, gorgeous graphics.

It's a real shame there aren't more flight simulators getting made. Like the adventure game genre, flight simulators seem to be a dying (or possibly dead) breed. Just a damn shame. :(

Sadly I don't have much to add. I loved the X-Wing games as well and I would kill, yes kill for a new Wing Commander game. But the market has left them in the dust.

If you liked X-Wing and haven't tried it you could look into Darkstar One. It is more fantastical and not quite as in depth as Wing Commander/ X-Wing but it is a lot of fun and tells a fun. However it does star a transforming ship so don't expect the same hard core sci-fi simulator of WC/XW.  But you can feel their influence in the game. :)

enTranced

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users