213 replies to this topic

#181 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

View PostHusseintranced, on Oct 28 2008, 08:00 PM, said:

Sadly I don't have much to add. I loved the X-Wing games as well and I would kill, yes kill for a new Wing Commander game. But the market has left them in the dust.

Not to mention that the creators, staff and actors have all moved on. I grrew up on videogames playing the WC games and the X-wing series. X-wing was the very first game I ever properly 'broke', something which is now an occupational hobby of mine.

If you liked X-Wing and haven't tried it you could look into Darkstar One. It is more fantastical and not quite as in depth as Wing Commander/ X-Wing but it is a lot of fun and tells a fun. However it does star a transforming ship so don't expect the same hard core sci-fi simulator of WC/XW.  But you can feel their influence in the game. :)

Darkstar One is a fun game, and I don't know if it's the kind of thing you enjoy but I got a kick out of playing Blazing Angels. It's a WW2 simulator so not so much with the starships, and it's a bit fussy and slow in places, but it's a fun game nonetheless.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#182 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Oct 28 2008, 06:40 PM, said:

Yeah I've seen them. :howling: Apparently Tim Curry has an absurdly bad Russian accent too. I figure that even if the game completely sucks (which I doubt), at least it'll have lots of amusing cutscenes to make it worthwhile. ;)

I think I said elsewhere that I play the C&C series primarily for the big, hammy acting.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#183 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Oct 28 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

View PostNeuralClone, on Oct 28 2008, 06:40 PM, said:

Yeah I've seen them. :howling: Apparently Tim Curry has an absurdly bad Russian accent too. I figure that even if the game completely sucks (which I doubt), at least it'll have lots of amusing cutscenes to make it worthwhile. ;)

I think I said elsewhere that I play the C&C series primarily for the big, hammy acting.
Oh that's definitely a huge appeal for me too. ;) The games, while not usually incredibly original when it comes to actual gameplay, are almost always guaranteed to be lots of fun (no comment on nightmare that was C&C: Sole Survivor). And while groundbreaking stuff can be good and is always nice see, sometimes it's nice to just sit down and play something fun and familiar. :D
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#184 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

^Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation is a flight sim i really enjoyed, but I think it's only out for the Xbox 360.
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#185 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:39 AM

The demo for the new tomb raider game is available on Xbox live, the animation looks great! I'm so looking forward to this game...

Ok, I played through the demo and these are my thoughs:
It looks really good! Ignoring the obvious improvements in the graphics, lara moves more naturally especailly in her kicks and climbing. As she runs through jungle, she reaches out to swat aside branches or plants that get in her way.

Theres also the fact that as you jump around, fall off, etc Lara gets muddier and after swimming about, she stays wet for a while. Speaking of falling off places, Lara seems to take far more damage from much smaller falls than she did previously.

Theres a few new climbing moves she can do as well.

For a start, when shes swinging around a pole, if you press down on the stick while shes at the top of her swing, she drops onto the top of the pole and steadies herself there, ready to jump off.
Theres also 'beams' scatered around that lara can walk across like a gymnast. But as she walks she may start to topple off to one side, in which case you use the direction stick to steady her.
Thirdly, if you have a narrow chute then you can climb up it by jumping at one side of the chute, then pressing jump again causing her to push off and hit the other side. You can continue doing that until you reach a high ledge that you wouldnt normally be able to reach.

I was intrigued to see a non-lethal weapon in your arsenal too - Lara has a tranquiliser gun in the demo. Which is very useful against tigers!

Your two helpers make an appearance in the demo too, so they'll be back obviously. Sensibly, they're back home where it's reasonably safe ;)

Edited by Hawkeye, 29 October 2008 - 07:36 AM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#186 Guest-Husseintranced-Guest

Guest-Husseintranced-Guest

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

^ Cool! Sounds like they learned alot from Uncharted because a lot of that sounds familiar. I hope they use the same balancing act from Uncharted where you used the 6 Axis motion to steady Drake. It was simple stuff but I got a real kick out of it.

enTranced

#187 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

I guess on the PS3 they might. On the Xbox you just nudge the direction stick to one side or another.

One thing I did notice was there was some oddities with the graphics that looked like glitches. Do you think this is just because it's not finished yet? Because as it's a console, i wouldn't expect them to produce a game that the console couldnt handle, graphics wise...

Posted Image

#188 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

That's probably just demo-issues, not actual glitches in the game. After all a Demo is usually an unfinished product. I just hope that we get a better control scheme for the PS3 than we did for Uncharted, because I never ended up finishing the game because I couldn't get to grips with the combat control system. I really missed Tomb-Raider style auto-targeting.

Defy Gravity!

#189 Guest-Husseintranced-Guest

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Oct 29 2008, 03:53 PM, said:

That's probably just demo-issues, not actual glitches in the game. After all a Demo is usually an unfinished product. I just hope that we get a better control scheme for the PS3 than we did for Uncharted, because I never ended up finishing the game because I couldn't get to grips with the combat control system. I really missed Tomb-Raider style auto-targeting.

Really?

I LOVED the combat in Uncharted. It was the first 3rd person game that played as good as a 1st person game. So far the only console shooter that is even easier is GTA4. LOVE that autolock/Free Target control scheme.

I would go back and try to solve it again Gode, the closing act makes it all worth while. Surprise zombies and all.

enTranced

#190 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

View PostHusseintranced, on Oct 29 2008, 03:59 PM, said:

Really?

Yup.

I LOVED the combat in Uncharted. It was the first 3rd person game that played as good as a 1st person game. So far the only console shooter that is even easier is GTA4. LOVE that autolock/Free Target control scheme.

Ugh. I absolutely detested the attempt to marry the two different game-modes into one. And the way the controls were mapped to the PS3 controller did not IMO make things any better. Whoever designed that layout deserves to be pummeled repeatedly with a controller.

I would go back and try to solve it again Gode, the closing act makes it all worth while. Surprise zombies and all.

I may well do at some point, but as of friday I'm going to be knee deep in Fallout and Red Alert, and I haven't even finished Disgaea 2 yet, let alone Disgaea 3

Defy Gravity!

#191 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:21 PM

I LOVED Uncharted, control scheme and everything. I loved it so much that after I beat it (it was a rental), I bought it! :p

So, Fallout 3 has shipped to me from Gamefly and I should have it either tomorrow or the day after. Can't wait to try it out, even if it is just Oblivion with guns. ;)

Edited by Josh, 29 October 2008 - 03:22 PM.

"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#192 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

Darkstar One looks like a lot of fun.  I'll have to see if I can track it down :D  Thanks for the suggestions.

#193 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

That's good to hear about the new Tomb Raider. I've been looking forward to it since Legend. I had never really got into the series before because I could never get the jumps right and hated either dying a lot of having to do a section over because I was less than an inch off. Legend was much more forgiving.

Uncharted was the reason I bought a PS3. The company who made it also made the Jak Trilogy, which I love to death and hope they make more of soon. But it seems like Naughty Dog is working on a sequel to Uncharted first, not that I'm complaining. Hmm, I might have to go back and replay it soon. That and the Jak games. Well, probably just 2 and 3. They were the best.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#194 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

Just started playing Fallout 3. So far, so good. The first hour is essentially an introduction and I've found it absorbing. I can already tell the battle system is going to be problematic, as it's virtually unplayable in real-time (much like Oblivion, actually) but when you freeze things, it gets more manageable. Unfortunately, I can't see myself using VATs on EVERY SINGLE BLOW I MAKE.

At least in the early part of the game, the writing is good, significantly better than Oblivion. But it's more in the gritty tone that the game sustains. Once I actually get outside, I can already see it being overwhelming.

#195 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

^Ditto.  :)  Except I haven't actually used the VATS yet.  This being my first significant Xbox game, I'm having a difficult time keeping track of what all the controls do, and I keep forgetting which button to push for it.  :p  I've been doing ok so far with just whacking cockroaches with a bat, but I'm sure that won't work forever.  *sigh*  I'm really wishing there was a way to reverse the "X"-access in addition to the "Y" access.  I keep looking the wrong direction with left/right.  (I think my thumb thinks it's moving a mouse instead of a joystick...  weird.)

One thing that bugged me was that I think it hamstrings itself with being a little *too* real in some places but not being able to keep it up across the board.  With the way characters reacted to my actions (the sheriff making an unsolicited snide comment when I failed to disarm his bomb), I was starting to expect the characters to be really *aware* of everything going on around them.  So when a major plot event ended with a cold-blooded murder and my having to take down said murderer, I kinda expected the guy standing nearby to at least comment on it when I spoke to him right after, but it just went into his usual conversation tree.  For a gameworld that's built to be so real, and where your actions have consequences, that jarred me out of the gameworld quite a bit.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#196 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:09 AM

I'm less thrilled with it now that I'm out in the open and it's basically turned into Oblivion. The NPC conversations are especially disappointing. Given the circumstances, you'd expect them to have a lot of depth... but they only really give the occasional quest and spout the latest gossip. The crappy writing and lack of NPC interaction is one of the biggest problems I had with Oblivion and I'm very disappointed that they didn't give any effort into improving them.

Example, light spoilers, but I'll tag them anyway.

Spoiler: click to show/hide
There's a group of siblings that apparently depend on each other. At least, that's the impression I got. The game doesn't bother to elaborate. One of them is addicted to a substance. If you start to talk to him about it, he'll get pissed and tell you it's none of your business. If you pursue the questioning, he'll agree to get help and asks you not to tell his siblings. If you go to the siblings, that option isn't even on the conversation tree. It's worth noting that if you agree with him that it's none of his business, that quest basically ends and you don't get the option of helping him. Very irritating.

And while I appreciate that the level scaling has been toned way down, there's a massive downside. Simply put, there's no way of knowing if a quest is something that your character can handle. And when you have to walk what feels like a continent to get to a destination (another carryover from Oblivion), the destination has been a waste of time to me on more than one occasion.

#197 Guest-Husseintranced-Guest

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

View PostJosh, on Oct 31 2008, 10:09 AM, said:

And while I appreciate that the level scaling has been toned way down, there's a massive downside. Simply put, there's no way of knowing if a quest is something that your character can handle. And when you have to walk what feels like a continent to get to a destination (another carryover from Oblivion), the destination has been a waste of time to me on more than one occasion.

Can you store a quest for later like Oblivion? I mean if you just have to wait until you level up that is fine with me.

enTranced

#198 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

^

For the most part, although some quests do cancel out other quests. And strangely, I've encountered a few quests that don't bother to go into my journal at all.

#199 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

A few non-spoilerish thoughts on Red Alert 3.

I was struck while playing it at how incredibly hectic the game is compared to the previous ones. Usually I'm a turtler, I like building a large, well planned base before taking the battle to the enemy, but aside from the fact that you end up having to help your 'co' player, almost all the units and buildings seem to be far more fragile, meaning that you have to take the battle to the enemy almost from the get-go. What's more, because everything is more fragile you end up going through units much much faster. I'm not used to building hundreds and losing dozens upon dozens of units in what in previou games would be a well planned strategic assault on my enemy base.

What's more, it tends to mean that you almost always end up playing solely with your basic unit types because you need to get built up and retaliating and most of the early missions at least can be beaten long before you can even finish building your super-weapons, let alone actually getting round to use them. It may change later in the game though, so that's not a dead cert.

I should mention that the acting is part hammy as usual, but there seems to be a curious mix of serious actors and hammy ones, almost like they told half the cast to treat it like a serious drama, and the other half like they're going to be on MST3K. It's a bit odd.

It's a fun game. I  think it's a shame they didn't use some of the better effects from C&C 3 especially in terms of the control interface, but it's nice and familiar. The tutorial missions are a hoot to play though as your 'instructors' are very funny.

It's a good, fun game though.

Defy Gravity!

#200 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

Red Alert 2 seemed to have rather weak units as well. Buildings were incredibly fragile too. I still haven't received my copy of this yet (Amazon.com was soooo slow) though so I really can't compare the two.

I've heard that C&C3 is better overall but I'm glad to hear that it's a fun game its own right. :D
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users