213 replies to this topic

#201 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Nov 1 2008, 05:46 PM, said:

Red Alert 2 seemed to have rather weak units as well. Buildings were incredibly fragile too. I still haven't received my copy of this yet (Amazon.com was soooo slow) though so I really can't compare the two.

I've heard that C&C3 is better overall but I'm glad to hear that it's a fun game its own right. :D

It's been so long since I played RA2 I don't recall if units were this weak, but you may well be right. I have to say I take back what I said about super-weapons. Each faction has a number of special abilities they gain access to as the missions go on, and while not super-weapons in the traditional sense, they fulfill many of the same functions. One of the soviets for example is a Thor's Hammer, basically they destabilise orbital junk and bring it crashing down on the enemy. Setting aside the hilarity of the amount of times you can do this during a campaign, it's actually surprisingly effective. And traditional super-weapons in the later stages of the game give you what is an absolutely vital ability to break a battle-line and allow you to breach your enemy's defenses, especially if you've got to launch attacks across water.

C&C3 is probably the better game overall, but I do so enjoy the RA universe.

Personal favorites are Tim Curry's hammy acting, the fact that Dasha (your Soviet Eva lady) wears low-cut PVC, the Allies mission victory emblem that wouldn't look amiss as a playboy cover, and JK Simmons who is becoming a legend in his own right for his hilarious portrayal of the US president.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#202 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

I thought this might be an interesting read for the fallout crowd. I have to admit it was this review that finally sold me on going out this coming weekend and getting fallout 3

http://dubiousqualit...mpressions.html

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#203 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

I finally received Red Alert 3 today! Woot!

Honestly, my feelings are a bit mixed. On one hand, the cutscenes are just downright hilarious and the plot is simply outrageous. That said, I'm not really a fan of the cartoony look of the game. With the exception of the water, I think C&C3 actually looks better. Visually, the game seems to have more in common with Generals than with Tiberium Wars. The graphics are significantly better than Generals but something about them just seem off to me. It's an art style that works for Warcraft games but it really doesn't suit C&C, IMO.

The gameplay kind of feels like a mix between Generals and C&C3. I really didn't like Generals that much so I'm not too thrilled with this feel. I don't like resource collection in this at all. Gems have been completely eliminated and ore trucks now just mine ore from ore mines. Gone is the intense defense of your supply lines and gone are the gem fields. Resource collection has pretty much been reduced to the kind of resource collection you'd see in Starcraft. While not horrible, it doesn't feel very C&C-like. On the plus side, it doesn't seem to be quite as easy to do rushes do to the slower economy, which will likely force more strategy. Or lots of frustration for people expecting the faster-paced base building the C&C games are known for.

I haven't played it nearly enough to get a feel for how the overall game is but so far it feels vastly inferior to Tiberium Wars. But C&C3 is also my favorite C&C game of all time (with Red Alert 2 a close second). So it wouldn't be reasonable for me to expect RA3 to surpass it. I'm not sure where it ranks in the series yet but it certainly doesn't seem like the worst one made. But it also isn't the best. After playing for a few hours, I'm not really getting a Red Alert feel from this game. It's definitely C&C but zaniness aside, it doesn't really feel like Red Alert. I really can't put my finger on why that's the case either.

I doubt I'd give the game lower than a 7/10 if I were to review it. But based on what I've currently seen, I don't think I'd be able to give it above an 8/10 (for comparison, I'd give Tiberium Wars a 9.5/10).

Edited by NeuralClone, 03 November 2008 - 03:27 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#204 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

View PostHusseintranced, on Oct 28 2008, 12:08 AM, said:

View PostFlatlandDan, on Oct 27 2008, 10:46 PM, said:

Can we all just take a moment to bask in the gaming perfection that is Portal?

:love:

What is this Portal game of which you speak? Pretend that I have been changing diapers instead of playing enough games and I am only now starting to have time to play. Because ya....that's pretty much it. :D

enTranced

Coming back to say exactly why Portal is the best game ever.  Yes, it's short.  I'm not a great gamer and it only took me 5 hours.  But those are five amazing hours.  

It is, at it's core, a physics game.  You are testing a gun that shoots two different coloured portals, one which leads to the other.  The object of the game initially is to get through a series of levels each more fiendishly complicated then the last.  To say more would spoil the game, but let me say that it's one of the most ingenious and hilarious video games I've played in a while.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#205 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:33 AM

Ok, so I've played Red Alert 3 for a few more hours and I have to say that I'm starting to warm up to its insanely wacky style and execution. I also had a really nasty problem with shadows that caused the game to slow to a crawl. Dropping shadows down to medium gave me a performance boost of at least 30 FPS. I guess it doesn't like my Radeon X1800XT too much! Aside from shadows though, I was able to put everything else on maximum and not have it affect the speed of the game.

First thoughts on having played the first several missions in the Soviet campaign:
  • The game is just plain fun. It doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense and the plot is incredibly simplistic and light-hearted for an RA game but the game is extremely fun. So they get huge points on the fun factor and the originality of many of the games more outlandish units.
  • The cutscenes really crack me up. They look so horribly fake and contrived and yet I still want to see what wacky thing is said next with an intentionally bad accent.
  • As with pretty much everything else about this game, the units are tons of fun. The Soviet transports that launch units into the air are so absurd. The weapon that brings down debris in orbit is equally absurd but it's sooo much fun to rain old satellites on your opponent.
  • I'm warming up the more cartoony graphics. I still think they went a little too far with the cartooniness, but if you go back to RA2, the graphics in that were starting to go in that direction even then. Having said that, I definitely prefer the more realistic appearance of Tiberium Wars.
  • The game doesn't take itself seriously at all. So much so that it's almost a parody of RA1 and RA2. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but those that want a game that's a tad more serious should definitely be aware of that. I know it's pissed off many RA fans already. I don't really mind it too much since the game is so much fun but RA2 is probably a better C&C game.
  • The co-commander thing is an interesting idea but is rather annoying when playing with an AI. I'd imagine it'd be a lot cooler if you played these missions with another human player.
  • I love how the Empire of the Rising Sun has tons of units that are essentially variations of mecha. :lol:
  • J.K. Simmons plays such an ignorant, *a$$h*le-ish, Commie-hating, jerk of a president that he never ceases to crack me up. Tim Curry is quite good in this too, horribly fake Russian accent included. I haven't seen much of George Takei yet but he seems to have a bit of a superiority complex in this, which should be fun once he starts interacting with the other leaders (assuming he does).
  • I still hate the new method introduced for gathering ore. It isn't C&C-y enough for me.
There are a few things I miss though. First of all, I want NUKES! Sure there are other cool superweapons but nukes are just so much fun to use. An RA game without nukes should be a capital offense! I miss the gem and ore fields. As fun and goofy as the storyline/game is, I do miss the more serious tone from the previous two games.

Is this game as good as C&C3? Probably not, no. C&C3 takes itself much more seriously and has a far more involved/interesting plot. But based on my current amount of time playing it, I'm glad I purchased it because sometimes it's nice to sit back, watch an incredibly bad sci-fi movie, and watch excessive cartoon violence get unleashed at a rapid rate. I doubt this will surpass my love of Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Wars, but this new take on RA is highly entertaining, even if it isn't as RA-like as RA2 was.

Edited by NeuralClone, 04 November 2008 - 01:41 AM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#206 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:24 AM

Just started playing Valkyria Chronicles (for the PS3). If you love SRPGs in the Japanese vein, you're gonna love this sucker. After a while, I started to dodge the genre because the games all felt the same... but this game is fresh, highly strategic and harder than HELL. Much like a lot of recent shooters, cover plays an important role... which served me well until the enemy forces brought in grenades and tanks which are capable of destroying said cover. It's been a while since I've actually thrown the f-bomb at my television.

And it doesn't hurt that it looks gorgeous (it uses a wonderful watercolor effect) and has a terrific musical score.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#207 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

View PostJosh, on Nov 8 2008, 08:24 AM, said:

Just started playing Valkyria Chronicles (for the PS3). If you love SRPGs in the Japanese vein, you're gonna love this sucker. After a while, I started to dodge the genre because the games all felt the same... but this game is fresh, highly strategic and harder than HELL. Much like a lot of recent shooters, cover plays an important role... which served me well until the enemy forces brought in grenades and tanks which are capable of destroying said cover. It's been a while since I've actually thrown the f-bomb at my television.

And it doesn't hurt that it looks gorgeous (it uses a wonderful watercolor effect) and has a terrific musical score.

Moremoremore!

This is one I have been waiting for. I can't buy it until I get my Xmas bonus through , but I want to hear everything. This game is one of the reasons I bought a PS3!

In other news, I downloaded the Mirrors Edge demo and what a disapointment. I went in expecting a cyberpunk/Dark Angel type game and got a hideous button mashing twitch fest. :(

Great graphics poor execution for a big fat FAIL.

enTranced
Posted Image

#208 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:33 AM

I've been playing through Gears of War 2 and really enjoying it. The characters are better fleshed out than in the original and the story is pretty decent. I think I've done about 4 of the 5 Acts and I'm looking forward to the finale (although I've heard that it isn't that good, heh).

ETA: I was right, I was at the last act. The final boss is ridiculously easy, but that doesnt spoil the fact that it's a decent game. However, I'm left confused over several plot points so I assume there's going to be some kind of sequel:
Spoiler: click to show/hide
Part of the game is spent going through some secret, abandoned lab. It is *implied* but never explicitly stated that the Locust were made by experiments on humans. I picked up something that mentioned the test subjects going all pale, their eyes turning pale, their hair stopping growing and their nails growing faster. But this is never cleared up.

Also, we meet the locust queen who appears to be half human (and very tentacley. As Cole puts it, 'I thought she was supposed to be ass-ugly?') and mentioned knowing Fenix's father, and being sorry that he 'didn't chose to follow in his fathers footsteps'. But again, we don't really find out what that means.

It's also a little confusing with regards to the Locust and what their motivation was for the whole thing.

ETA2: Aaaah. There'll definately be a sequel. At the end of the credits, theres a short message from:
Spoiler: click to show/hide
Adam Fenix, Marcus' father saying 'What have you done?'

Edited by Hawkeye, 09 November 2008 - 08:30 AM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#209 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

View PostenTranced, on Nov 9 2008, 02:37 AM, said:

View PostJosh, on Nov 8 2008, 08:24 AM, said:

Moremoremore!

This is one I have been waiting for. I can't buy it until I get my Xmas bonus through , but I want to hear everything. This game is one of the reasons I bought a PS3!

Seconded. This game is at the very top of my christmas list. Sadly enough, I'm already seeing it show up in the second hand bins, though not yet at a price that would warrant an immediate purchase.

Defy Gravity!

#210 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread, but I was walking through town and saw a shop selling the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher, so I picked it up.
I started watching the DVD that comes with it, but as it's made by the Polish, so has a lot of subtitles, I'll have to wait until I can give it more of my attention. I like the map too. I haven't had a chance to listen to the music yet.

As for the game itself, I'm enjoying it so far although it doesnt run too smoothly on my laptop (I'm assuming my graphics card isn't quite up to it, because it *should* run fine). I was impressed that I managed to sleep with a girl quite soon after starting. Although my pick-up lines on barmaids need a little work. Apparently asking if she's 'not decent when she finishes work' isn't a great line.
I like the inventory system. I get a bit frustrated with systems where you can have different items equipped to feet, legs, chest and head. Much easier to just have one 'armour' slot.
I'm hesitant about the alchemy bit because I'm typically not good at that kind of thing in games. But we'll see how it goes :) Also, the 'skills' menu seems complicated, but hopefully it'll get easier with practice :)

So yeah, so far, I'm liking it :) I bought it souly on the recommendations in this thread, so well done everyone ;)
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#211 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

The game relies heavily on your graphics card. I couldn't run it at all on my last desktop and I don't dare try it on this laptop. ;) They're working on a console port (with an "updated" battle engine) so I'm waiting to see how that turns out. I've heard mostly nothing but good things about the game.

#212 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

I'm a little annoyed actually, I didn't learn about the port until after I bought it. I might have waited if I'd known. Mind you, I'm happy I bought it in England, not America, as the sex cards are censored in america ;)

Posted Image

#213 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, but there's no way of knowing what they'll change to make the game work on consoles. It might be neutered. ;) I'm waiting for reviews (and obviously for it to come out). And yeah, the game got nailed by the prudes in America. Go figure. ;)

#214 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

Same thing happened with Fahrenheit (Or the Indigo Prophecy, i think it was called in the US) where the scenes where you got to control the sex to a limited extent, got cut out ;)

I've played it a bit further and I'm still quite enjoying it (and I've slept with another girl, go me!). I liked battling the big plants while drunk.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users