• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#41 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

Well, I'm off to buy it in about half an hour, but my friend who works for blockbusters and is arranging for me to, achem, borrow his employee discount and I need to go to London to pick the thing up. So I figure I won't be home till 8-9ish, so I won't get much gaming done tonight.

But there's always tomorrow :p

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#42 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:35 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Jun 24 2008, 03:00 PM, said:

Well, I'm off to buy it in about half an hour, but my friend who works for blockbusters and is arranging for me to, achem, borrow his employee discount and I need to go to London to pick the thing up. So I figure I won't be home till 8-9ish, so I won't get much gaming done tonight.

Heh.

When you are a Dad tomorrow is always game day, never today so I'm used to that. ;)

Next week is vacation, I know I can get some good gaming in then......I hope....at least an hour....please....?

enTranced
Posted Image

#43 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Since everyone else seems to be skipping Nintendo:  

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: If you call yourself a first person gaming fan and haven't played this game, then you're simply missing out on one of the greatest first person experiences in gaming history.  You'll never want to go back to a regular controller for first person games again after you play this game.  It's fun and exciting with an excellent art design.  With 20+ hours of gameplay, you'll have plenty to do, too.  

Super Mario Galaxy: This is the best platforming game since... well... Mario 64.  Nintendo again redefines the genre with the plump little plumber that could.  Again, Nintendo proves that they are the masters of art design with some of the best looking levels ever seen in the platforming genre.  

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: Zelda at its finest.  Epic, beautiful, fun, and purely Zelda.  This is the Zelda game fans have been waiting years for.  

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition: Simply the best version of the game out there.  Wii controls trump anything a regular controller is capable of doing for this game.  But if you like playing with a regular controller nonetheless, this version offers that option, too.  It has all the extra content from all versions of the game, as well.  And it's only $30.  

And as for other games...  

Final Fantasy VI:  Why bring this game up?  It's 14 years old, right?  Well, it's because I know there are some of you in this thread that still haven't played it, and it is by far one of the best Final Fantasy games out there.  It's still available for the GBA, too, so what are you guys waiting for? :p  You know who you are. :cool:  

As for games that I'm looking forward to, I'm really looking forward to Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.  It's a direct sequel to the original Tales of Symphonia and is a Wii exclusive at the moment.  If this game turns out to be even half as good as the original game, then this game could possibly rock. :cool:  Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia....f_the_New_World

Edited by Slipfighter, 24 June 2008 - 01:47 PM.

Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#44 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

View PostenTranced, on Jun 24 2008, 04:35 PM, said:

View PostGodeskian, on Jun 24 2008, 03:00 PM, said:

Heh.

When you are a Dad tomorrow is always game day, never today so I'm used to that. ;)

Next week is vacation, I know I can get some good gaming in then......I hope....at least an hour....please....?

Just like I'm planning to game tomorrow, and I'm not even a gaming dad for pete's sake.

I have to say that Uncharted looks shiny, and somehow my console's previous owner has been able to get it to be backwards compatible with PS1 games, every game I own in fact, despite the fact that it's a 40GB model which shouldn't be able to do that.

I do wish I had a TV that could do the console justice, but I really don't have a spare 700 quid on me.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#45 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

Slip: Did you ever play Tales of the Abyss? I thought it was a superior game to Symphonia, with a better story and character development. Symphonia certainly isn't a bad game and it was greatly appreciated for a system that was RPG-challenged but it gets unforgivably preachy near the end (to the point where I wondered if Hideo Kojima wrote the script) and for the most part, the characters are from the JRPG archetype manual.

At this point in my life, I've played SO many JRPGs that I wary of the constant cliches. Every so often, a game comes out that tries something new and takes more risks but these days, it's not often. I recently played through Eternal Sonata (don't ask me why. The game was AWFUL) and I was howling at some of the dialogue... among other things.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#46 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

View PostJosh, on Jun 24 2008, 10:26 PM, said:

Slip: Did you ever play Tales of the Abyss? I thought it was a superior game to Symphonia, with a better story and character development. Symphonia certainly isn't a bad game and it was greatly appreciated for a system that was RPG-challenged but it gets unforgivably preachy near the end (to the point where I wondered if Hideo Kojima wrote the script) and for the most part, the characters are from the JRPG archetype manual.

I played some of Abyss, but not no all of it because I don't own a PS2.  I liked what I played.  But I have to disagree with you about Symphonia.  Tales of Symphonia is one of only a couple of games that outright hooked me from beginning to end last gen.  I couldn't put the controller down.  And unlike many, I never had a problem with the story or I ever felt that the characters weren't individually defined.  I'm not easily swayed to like characters if they feel generic to me, and I can't put into words how invested I was with this cast of characters.  I just outright loved this game.  Still do.  

At this point in my life, I've played SO many JRPGs that I wary of the constant cliches.

I've played more JRPGs than I could possibly count.  I started with Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy I on the NES back in 1990.  I've played brilliance like FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Lunar to clunkers like FFVIII, Quest 64, and Secret of the Stars.  I've seen the good, the bad, and the very ugly of JRPGs. It's impossible not to find an RPG without a cliché in it; all I'm concerned about is the whether the game handles them well or not. :cool:

Edited by Slipfighter, 24 June 2008 - 06:27 PM.

Posted Image
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  

#47 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

I played some of Abyss, but not no all of it because I don't own a PS2. I liked what I played. But I have to disagree with you about Symphonia. Tales of Symphonia is one of only a couple of games that outright hooked me from beginning to end last gen. I couldn't put the controller down. And unlike many, I never had a problem with the story or I ever felt that the characters weren't individually defined. I'm not easily swayed to like characters if they feel generic to me, and I can't put into words how invested I was with this cast of characters. I just outright loved this game. Still do.

Oh, I was definitely not bored by Symphonia. I think I pretty much played it straight through as well (along with Abyss and Suikoden V). And as far as JRPGs go, I think it did a better job with the world building and character development than most (especially with Colette) but you really should play Abyss. It puts its characters through HELL. ;)

Yeah, it's more a matter of how *well* the cliches are handled. Grandia III is an example of how NOT to handle them. ;) It's hard to criticize FFVI and Chrono Trigger much because in a lot of ways, they established them (and in even more ways, haven't been topped since). CT is one of the shorter RPGs out there but it does in 20-25 hours what most RPGs can't do in over 40. And FFVI has Kefka and the opera scene. Enough said there. ;)

(Poor FFVIII. I'd feel bad for it if I could actually get further than 20 hours into the game. I've tried to replay it three times and each time, I get bored and stop playing.)

#48 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Jun 24 2008, 09:42 PM, said:

I have to say that Uncharted looks shiny, and somehow my console's previous owner has been able to get it to be backwards compatible with PS1 games, every game I own in fact, despite the fact that it's a 40GB model which shouldn't be able to do that.

I do wish I had a TV that could do the console justice, but I really don't have a spare 700 quid on me.

All PS3's are backwards compatible with the PS1. In the past some PS3's were not compatible with the PS2 but Sony has put a free PS2 emulator in the Sony Online Store for download so now all PS3's can play the PS2 games as well.

I hope you can get a HD TV soon as the console REALLY shines in HD. Uncharted's very best moments are when you crest a hill and see a massive ruined structure and then the sun comes up. It is gorgeous and breathtaking. I haven't seen the like in any other game, only Heavenly Sword comes close.

Gode what kind of sound hookup are you using? With HDMI or a Digital Optical cable many PS3 titles allow you to rotate the sound to fit your system and your room but you can't do that with the included analog cables. HDMI can be expensive but a Optical Cable runs you about 17 bucks at your local radio shack. I can't even begin to tell you how great your games will sound with that simple upgrade.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 24 June 2008 - 07:52 PM.

Posted Image

#49 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

Josh : :p

I loved the Grandia games! It was Grandia III that was on the Dreamcast right? If so that was my favorite, some freaky levels in that one.

*sigh* It's to bad about what happened to that system, I loved so much about it I was able to forgive the bulky controllers. I can't remember what the title was anymore but there was a JRPG that featured flying ships and you could make money for your party on the little portable hand controllers in mini games and then when you put them back in the big controller it would download all your earned goodies.

I freaking LOVED that game.

EDIT : It was Skies of Arcadia!

http://en.wikipedia....kies_of_Arcadia

Looks like it also came out for the Gamecube as well. Played that game for hours and hours (when I was able to do that sort of thing!)

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 24 June 2008 - 08:00 PM.

Posted Image

#50 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

View PostenTranced, on Jun 24 2008, 05:57 PM, said:

I loved the Grandia games! It was Grandia III that was on the Dreamcast right? If so that was my favorite, some freaky levels in that one.

That was Grandia II. ;) It was generally well-received. Grandia III came out for the PS2 and it wasn't. ;)

All PS3's are backwards compatible with the PS1. In the past some PS3's were not compatible with the PS2 but Sony has put a free PS2 emulator in the Sony Online Store for download so now all PS3's can play the PS2 games as well.

Huh. Last I heard, the 40 gig model isn't compatible with PS2 games at ALL (and that's the only one you can buy right now). I haven't heard anything about a downloadable emulator.

#51 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

I see the GTA IV love in the thread, and it's well received.  I don't know how far you all are in, but even if the game starts slow (which it does) it's all worth it to get to one mission:  Three Leaf Clover.

Hands down the best mission I've played in this style of game.  EVER.

I can only assume the game designers had been watching Heat when they were planning this mission.

Now I'm not saying the game goes downhill from here, but it's definitely the best (and with the exception of the end mission, hardest) mission to get through.

Another fun shooter for the 360, if you can find it used, is Army of Two.  Juvenile humour at its gaming finest.  (Any shooter that takes the time to program in logic for smacking your partner upside the head gets my vote.)
cervisiam tene rem specta

#52 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

I have my on/off days with GTAIV... but it's all worth it when I fire it up after a long, frustrating day and I start bashing people's heads in with a baseball bat. Probably not the healthiest things to do but they scream so pleasantly!

#53 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:31 PM

View PostJosh, on Jun 25 2008, 12:24 AM, said:

I played some of Abyss, but not no all of it because I don't own a PS2. I liked what I played. But I have to disagree with you about Symphonia. Tales of Symphonia is one of only a couple of games that outright hooked me from beginning to end last gen. I couldn't put the controller down. And unlike many, I never had a problem with the story or I ever felt that the characters weren't individually defined. I'm not easily swayed to like characters if they feel generic to me, and I can't put into words how invested I was with this cast of characters. I just outright loved this game. Still do.

Oh, I was definitely not bored by Symphonia. I think I pretty much played it straight through as well (along with Abyss and Suikoden V). And as far as JRPGs go, I think it did a better job with the world building and character development than most (especially with Colette) but you really should play Abyss. It puts its characters through HELL. ;)

I'll play more of it if I can, but without a PS2 I'll have to wait until I can get over to my friend's again.  I should note that Symphonia 2 is actually using a modified version of the Abyss battle engine.  Looks like fun. :cool:  

It's hard to criticize FFVI and Chrono Trigger much because in a lot of ways, they established them (and in even more ways, haven't been topped since).

Yeah, that's more or less the truth.  These were the originators.  

CT is one of the shorter RPGs out there but it does in 20-25 hours what most RPGs can't do in over 40.

And it's a tight RPG experience.  The story works well and the character are so well defined.  And it had the New Game + mode, which is the coolest feature ever.  

And FFVI has Kefka and the opera scene. Enough said there. ;)

And one of the greatest soundtracks in FF history -- one of the best in RPG history.  

(Poor FFVIII. I'd feel bad for it if I could actually get further than 20 hours into the game. I've tried to replay it three times and each time, I get bored and stop playing.)

Thank goodness FFIX was so much better.  FFVIII suffered from too much experimentation.  I give Square credit for trying, but every family has a black sheep and FFVIII is it in this case.  It just has too few redeeming factors going for it.  It does have a very good soundtrack and beautiful cut scenes, but this is just one of those cases where graphics couldn't make up for lackluster gameplay.  And this is why I always argue that graphic should never be more important to someone than gameplay.
Posted Image

#54 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:47 PM

I'll play more of it if I can, but without a PS2 I'll have to wait until I can get over to my friend's again.  I should note that Symphonia 2 is actually using a modified version of the Abyss battle engine.  Looks like fun. :cool:

Also, if you have a 360, there's always Tales of Vesperia. I tried the demo a few days ago and it was okay. Hard to get much of an impression when it's only twenty minutes long. Tough as nails boss fight though...

Abyss is one of the longer Tales games. It SEEMS like it's over at the 30 hour point but it's a trick ending and there's another ten hours to go, even more if you do the many sidequests. Good times. ;)

And it's a tight RPG experience.  The story works well and the character are so well defined.  And it had the New Game + mode, which is the coolest feature ever.

Yeah, it's surprising how concise the game is. I'm a much bigger fan of the beginning/ending of the game than I am the middle. I've never been able to get much enthusiasm for the sky kingdom stuff. Probably because it's where the challenge bumps up considerably and I get cranky.

And one of the greatest soundtracks in FF history -- one of the best in RPG history.

I'd say all things considered, it's probably THE best. I have a certain affection for FFIV's music as well but it's not as consistent (and as charming as the game is, it's no FFVI).

Thank goodness FFIX was so much better.  FFVIII suffered from too much experimentation.  I give Square credit for trying, but every family has a black sheep and FFVIII is it in this case.  It just has too few redeeming factors going for it.  It does have a very good soundtrack and beautiful cut scenes, but this is just one of those cases where graphics couldn't make up for lackluster gameplay.  And this is why I always argue that graphic should never be more important to someone than gameplay.

Putting aside the battle system (which I never liked much), FFVIII has some serious plot issues. And half the characters are borderline unlikable. It's hard to get behind a hero when you want to smack him silly. ;) I beat the game when it first came out but it was hard to get the motivation. FFIX was more entertaining, even if the plot felt like a patchwork from previous games in the series. It was also the first game in the series where the music didn't hold up (and not the last, unfortunately).

#55 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:52 PM

View PostenTranced, on Jun 25 2008, 12:57 AM, said:

That was part II.  Grandia I and II are both great games.

EDIT : It was Skies of Arcadia!

http://en.wikipedia....kies_of_Arcadia

Looks like it also came out for the Gamecube as well. Played that game for hours and hours (when I was able to do that sort of thing!)

The Gamecube version is the better of the two.  It has added characters, content, and a better overall presentation.  The story was also expanded.  It's one of the best RPGs of its time.  It's easy to get hooked on.
Posted Image

#56 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:17 AM

View PostJosh, on Jun 25 2008, 04:47 AM, said:

Also, if you have a 360, there's always Tales of Vesperia. I tried the demo a few days ago and it was okay. Hard to get much of an impression when it's only twenty minutes long. Tough as nails boss fight though...

I'm saving up for a 360.  

Abyss is one of the longer Tales games. It SEEMS like it's over at the 30 hour point but it's a trick ending and there's another ten hours to go, even more if you do the many sidequests. Good times. ;)

Symphonia took me the better part of 90+ hours to beat.  But that's because I got just about everything the game had to offer.  The core gameplay still takes about 45 to 50 hours though.  But the Tales of... games do tend to demand you attention span.  

Yeah, it's surprising how concise the game is. I'm a much bigger fan of the beginning/ending of the game than I am the middle. I've never been able to get much enthusiasm for the sky kingdom stuff. Probably because it's where the challenge bumps up considerably and I get cranky.

The Kingdom of Zeal is actually my favorite part of the game.  This is when the story takes its first major plot turn, in my opinion.  You have plenty of plot twists and turns throughout the early parts of the game, sure, but this is when it all really starts to tie together.  And Schala is by far my favorite NPC character ever.  I cannot tell you just how much I wish she could have been a major, playable character. :cool:  

I'd say all things considered, it's probably THE best. I have a certain affection for FFIV's music as well but it's not as consistent (and as charming as the game is, it's no FFVI).

I love the music in FFVI.  

Putting aside the battle system (which I never liked much), FFVIII has some serious plot issues.

The story reached levels of outright absurdity.  And don't even get me started about the deus ex machina that's otherwise known as the orphanage scene.  They just pumped that game out too fast.  

And half the characters are borderline unlikable. It's hard to get behind a hero when you want to smack him silly. ;)

I wanted to kick Squall in the nuts.  The better characters in the game got shoved into the background for a love story that just didn't work.  

I beat the game when it first came out but it was hard to get the motivation.

Same here.  

FFIX was more entertaining, even if the plot felt like a patchwork from previous games in the series. It was also the first game in the series where the music didn't hold up (and not the last, unfortunately).

I actually love the music in this game.  The Terra Theme is still one of my absolute favorites in the entire series.  Though I agree that some of the music did fall flat in areas.  FFIV and FFVI are the only two FF games where I feel the soundtracks were nearly 100% perfect from start to finish.  FFVII and FFVIII had pretty good soundtracks, too.

Edited by Slipfighter, 25 June 2008 - 12:21 AM.

Posted Image

#57 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:20 AM

I'm saving up for a 360.

Smart man. ;) It's a pretty good system. Thankfully, it has a good warranty as mine has suffered the dreaded RRoD twice now. Microsoft has gotten *very* good at repairing the sucker and sending it back within two weeks...

Symphonia took me the better part of 90+ hours to beat.  But that's because I got just about everything the game had to offer.  The core gameplay still takes about 45 to 50 hours though.  But the Tales of... games do tend to demand you attention span.

The only RPG I can think of that took me over 60 hours to beat was Dragon Quest VII (which clocked in at an astonishing 108 hours. And that's the minimum, believe it or not. I was so sick of the game by the time I was done with it that I refused to do the sidequests). I prefer to go through the main story and skip the optional (largely grind-heavy) dungeons. Looking over my completed save game, Symphonia took me just a little under 39 hours to complete. I can't remember if I did any of the sidequests though...

The Kingdom of Zeal is actually my favorite part of the game.  This is when the story takes its first major plot turn, in my opinion.  You have plenty of plot twists and turns throughout the early parts of the game, sure, but this is when it all really starts to tie together.  And Schala is by far my favorite NPC character ever.  I cannot tell you just how much I wish she could have been a major, playable character. :cool:

Everyone loves Schala. I personally credit her theme song for giving the character most of her personality. ;) For as little of the game as she's in, she does make a big impression.

*loves to pretend Chrono Cross doesn't exist*

The story reached levels of outright absurdity.  And don't even get me started about the deus ex machina that's otherwise known as the orphanage scene.  They just pumped that game out too fast.

Honestly, I still have no idea what the game was about. I *think* they were going for love but I didn't feel it. Even if I cared about either character, the writing largely buried whatever connection was there. And the rest of the characters (especially poor Quistis) were tapped out by the end of the second disk and left to take up mute slots in your party. Very disappointing.

So no, not feeling the love. Ironically, both IX and X would do a better job at telling a love story, with characters actually worth caring about.

I actually love the music in this game.  The Terra Theme is still one of my absolute favorites in the entire series.  Though I agree that some of the music did fall flat in areas.  FFIV and FFVI are the only two FF games where I feel the soundtracks were nearly 100% perfect from start to finish.  FFVII and FFVIII had pretty good soundtracks, too.

I think FFIX was a case of quantity over quality. That game had a LOT of music in it. Some of it worked very well and some of it just rehashed stuff he had already written. There was never a moment when I felt it didn't work in the game but on disc, I tend to skip a lot of tracks.

I'm also quite possibly the only person on the internet who admires the score to FFXII. ;)

#58 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:23 AM

View PostJosh, on Jun 25 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

Honestly, I still have no idea what the game was about. I *think* they were going for love but I didn't feel it. Even if I cared about either character, the writing largely buried whatever connection was there. And the rest of the characters (especially poor Quistis) were tapped out by the end of the second disk and left to take up mute slots in your party. Very disappointing.

You see I always saw FF8 as one of the more intriguing games, because it's plot is absolutely epic in scope. I mean, the entire plot hinges around a self-created stable time-loop. That to me was such an unusual choice, and I think the main theme of FF8 was 'connection'. Between characters, between friends, between enemies. Squall and Seifer for instance, despite being antagonists, are very similar and I'm not just talking about their weapons, but also about their choices, their decisions to dedicate themselves to sorceresses.

What's more the fact that the main villain in the story may just be the love-interest from the far future using the main character as a summoned servant is just delightfully twisted.

On the other hand, I still feel like FFIX is one of the most boring, bland and uninteresting FF games ever produced. It's also the only one I've played which I've never even completed, I just give up due to apathy around the middle of disc 2. The only remotely interesting character in the whole game IMO was Vivi. Different strokes I guess, because unlike you I didn't care at all about any of the heroes in that game.

I'm also quite possibly the only person on the internet who admires the score to FFXII. ;)

Bits of the FF12 soundtrack seriously rock, others I'm not so fond of. But in terms of overall sound-love, I'm going to stick with 10. It's the only game where I personally loved every bit of music, and the besaid Island theme, the bass-themed 'Someday the dream must end' (which is probably one of my favorite bits of instrumental music ever) and Auron's theme just kicks all sorts of ass.

But then I've always known that everyone who plays the FF games has different favorites and loves, I just wish the fandom at large was more interested in celebrating it's divergent viewpoint than getting bogged down in a 'my FF is better than your FF' type of mindset. I've never seen much of that here mind you, but on some boards it's all anyone ever seems to talk about Final Fantasy wise.

Defy Gravity!

#59 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:11 AM

View PostJosh, on Jun 25 2008, 04:20 AM, said:

The only RPG I can think of that took me over 60 hours to beat was Dragon Quest VII (which clocked in at an astonishing 108 hours. And that's the minimum, believe it or not. I was so sick of the game by the time I was done with it that I refused to do the sidequests).
Would that be a non-recommendation for the game overall, or was there something worthwhile that *kept* you playing all 108 hours?  I got bored and left that game after just a few hours, but it's still sitting on the shelf, waiting for me to try again someday...

Currently playing Persona 3 (FES) here.  A bit disappointing.  I'd read some great reviews, and I loved everything about it for the first "month" or two of the game, but I'm only up to August and the repetitiveness and randomly-generated dungeon-slogging is starting to wear me down.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#60 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

View PostJosh, on Jun 25 2008, 01:37 AM, said:

Huh. Last I heard, the 40 gig model isn't compatible with PS2 games at ALL (and that's the only one you can buy right now). I haven't heard anything about a downloadable emulator.

That's the one I have and I downloaded the emulator with no problem. Sony wants everyone to be able to pay cash money for the PS2 downloads. I haven't done to much with it yet because I have been spending time with the new stuff but it's there. :)

I just wish they had told me that it was coming! I wouldn't have given away my PS2 Final Fantasy titles! Ah well, they all have good homes! :cry:

enTranced
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users