• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

link

Six hospital employees have been fired or suspended after ignoring for more than an hour a woman who collapsed and died in a New York emergency room waiting area.

On June 18, Esmin Green, 49, was involuntarily admitted to the psychiatric emergency department of Kings County Hospital Center on June 18 for what the hospital describes as "agitation and psychosis."
Upon her admission, Green waited nearly 24 hours for treatment, said the New York Civil Liberties Union, which on Tuesday released surveillance camera video of the incident.

The surveillance camera video shows the woman rolling off a waiting room chair, landing face-down on the floor and convulsing. Her collapse came at 5:32 a.m. June 19, the NYCLU said, and she stopped moving at 6:07 a.m. During that time, the organization said, workers at the hospital ignored her.

At 6:35 a.m., the tape shows a hospital employee approaching and nudging Green with her foot, the group said. Help was summoned three minutes later.

In addition, the organization said, hospital staff falsified Green's records to cover up the time she had lain there without assistance.
Fired? Suspended? Why does it not say explicitly anywhere in the article that these employees aren't being charged with manslaughter? Any employee in a hospital that ignores a body twitching on the waiting room floor goes to jail. How is that not a given? This really pisses me off.

Edited by Hambil, 02 July 2008 - 08:32 AM.

#2 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:09 AM

Any employee in a hospital that ignores a body twitching on the waiting room floor goes to jail.

absolutely.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

Agreed. This pisses me off more than anything I can think of except child abuse. For people who get paid to save lives to ignore someone who's really in need of help is unforgivable. I hope they go to jail with a really hefty sentence, as a wakeup call to ER staffs.

To be fair, though, this doesn't happen in most hospitals. I live in an area with not one but two excellent hospitals. Thank God.

Edited by Rhea, 02 July 2008 - 09:45 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

Well, you know me.  I say jail is not enough.

#5 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

Agreed. Jail time. This isn't even passersby on a sidewalk, skirting a homeless man. (That's made up, just an example). It's a hospital, with an involuntarily admitted patient. She was fully in their care, and they neglected her. Unforgivable.
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#6 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn in the 1950's, Kings County Hospital had a terrible reputation.  Obviously nothing has changed there.

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

View PostHambil, on Jul 2 2008, 09:31 AM, said:

Fired? Suspended? Why does it not say explicitly anywhere in the article that these employees aren't being charged with manslaughter? Any employee in a hospital that ignores a body twitching on the waiting room floor goes to jail. How is that not a given? This really pisses me off.

Couldn't agree more. I would so like to see them all charged with manslaughter. And I would expect nothing less then at the very least 20 years...at the very least. I would much rather the death penalty, but since, IIRC, the death penalty isn't an option for manslaughter I would be happy with at least 20 years.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:39 AM

Send 'em to Texas.  They'll kill 'em. :D

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

View PostAnnibal, on Jul 2 2008, 08:18 AM, said:

Agreed. Jail time. This isn't even passersby on a sidewalk, skirting a homeless man. (That's made up, just an example). It's a hospital, with an involuntarily admitted patient. She was fully in their care, and they neglected her. Unforgivable.

Wasn't there an incident similar to this within the last couple of years?  At the same place?

I think the whole hospital ought to be brought up on charges of reckless endangerment and possibly manslaughter.

The hospital certainly ought to be liable for wrongful death.
Posted Image

#10 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

I saw the surveillance tape and not only was it awful that the security guards saw her and did nothing, but tons of people were in that waiting area with her and not one brought someone in and insisted that she be cared for.  It saddens me that in some neighborhoods suffering and neglect are so routine that no one feels it their duty to protest and insist on help for another human being.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#11 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jul 2 2008, 01:02 PM, said:

Wasn't there an incident similar to this within the last couple of years?  At the same place?

I think the whole hospital ought to be brought up on charges of reckless endangerment and possibly manslaughter.

I think this is about the same incedent. I think it was last year.
Can't Touch This!!

#12 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jul 2 2008, 12:02 PM, said:

Agreed.  Forget about firings.  That place needs to be closed.

#13 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

View PostKosh, on Jul 2 2008, 08:41 PM, said:

No; that was Edith Isabel Rodriguez. She was the one where a janitor cleaned around her. And that was in the Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital in Los Angeles.

#14 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:26 AM

Criminal charges are pending...

http://www.amny.com/...story?track=rss

Robert Nardoza, a spokesman for the Brooklyn U.S. attorney's office, said a criminal civil-rights investigation into KHCH, which had started earlier based on other complaints, will now also look at the death. A spokesman for the Brooklyn district attorney's office said any suspected criminality referred to it by the Department of Investigation would be prosecuted. A DOI spokeswoman said the agency was "aware" of the incident.

That poor woman was the sole support of her six children back in Jamaica. :(
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:07 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jul 2 2008, 10:02 AM, said:

There was an incident at a hospital in LA too.  King Drew?  I think they're currently trying to get relicensed or something.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

View PostNonny, on Jul 3 2008, 10:07 AM, said:

View PostBad Wolf, on Jul 2 2008, 10:02 AM, said:

There was an incident at a hospital in LA too.  King Drew?  I think they're currently trying to get relicensed or something.

Yeah. Killer King. Probably the only hospital in the US where the cops had to break up a fight between two doctors over a patient, while emergency surgery was still going on.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#17 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

OMG. I just saw this. I really don't have the words to respond to this. Just awful :cry:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#18 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:26 AM

i'm so disgusted.   i have no words. :grr:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#19 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:42 AM

What did she die of?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#20 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:55 PM

View PostBroph, on Jul 2 2008, 06:22 PM, said:

View PostKosh, on Jul 2 2008, 08:41 PM, said:

No; that was Edith Isabel Rodriguez. She was the one where a janitor cleaned around her. And that was in the Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital in Los Angeles.

Thanks Borph!! I had forgotten about the janitor cleaning around her.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users