57 replies to this topic

#1 FrostAbode

FrostAbode

On The Road To Shambala

• Islander
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

http://www.wral.com/.../story/1755723/

Jesse Helms, the firebrand U.S. senator whose outspoken, conservative views polarized North Carolina and U.S. voters for decades, died at 1:15 a.m. Friday in Raleigh, according to John Dodd, president of the Jesse Helms Center.

He joins the second and third presidents of the United States – Thomas Jefferson and John Adams Jr. – who both also died on Independence Day.

He was 86. His cause of death was not released. Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming, Dodd said.

I thought he was already dead.  :wacko:
The White House

Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it very often.

#2 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

View PostFrostAbode, on Jul 4 2008, 01:34 PM, said:

I thought he was already dead.  :wacko:
Maybe you were thinking of Strom Thurmond, the now deceased senator from South Carolina?
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#3 FrostAbode

FrostAbode

On The Road To Shambala

• Islander
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Maybe that's it.  The two were easy to confuse.
The White House

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:17 PM

View PostFrostAbode, on Jul 4 2008, 02:40 PM, said:

Maybe that's it.  The two were easy to confuse.

Not if you actually lived in North or South Carolina. :devil:

I wish I could say I'm sorry, but everything the man stood for revolted me.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

^That makes two of us.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

Me three.

#7 FrostAbode

FrostAbode

On The Road To Shambala

• Islander
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

Fourthed.

Edited by FrostAbode, 04 July 2008 - 02:37 PM.

The White House

#8 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

View PostFrostAbode, on Jul 4 2008, 03:36 PM, said:

Thirded.

If we get a fourth, we can play bridge.
What happens if there's a tie? ;) :lol:

#9 FrostAbode

FrostAbode

On The Road To Shambala

• Islander
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on Jul 4 2008, 02:37 PM, said:

View PostFrostAbode, on Jul 4 2008, 03:36 PM, said:

Thirded.

If we get a fourth, we can play bridge.
What happens if there's a tie? ;) :lol:

Tell ya what, I'll let you be third this time, and I'll be third the next time some leftover POS scumbag from the Civil War era kicks off.  Deal? :D
The White House

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

Haha! Deal. ;)

#11 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

R.I.P.

#12 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:39 AM

He was a great force. I did not like the man but he had points I agreed with. I think it obscene that the government should be funding the arts. Those things are for the people.  but sppending $50,000 on a jar of urine with a cross in it  and funding programming on a network that has billion dollar making shows on it is wrong. If PBS cannot servie on it's own then it does not need to survive. I can find Dora the explorer on PBS or Nick Kids. Or Diseny or one of a half dozen channels that do not need peeny one from me. Yet I have to keep funding PBS.  Why because so lefty finds he wants to feel good about spending the cash.

Sorry but the NEA is simply a way demand for the "right to be rude to you and make you pay us to do it" to folks on the conservative and or patriotic sides in this country. If the shoes were on the other feet it is what you would say if suddenly for "Equal time" the Government funded simularly slanted programming on the 700 Club at your tax dollar expense.

The only differnce is I would be equally as upset. Because it is the government spending money on any part of the arts. Even when it's stuff going my way.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#13 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

Jesse Helms and his wife adopted a 9 year old orphan with cerebral palsy after reading a story about him in the newspaper.  So I salute the man for an act of deep personal kindness, even while wondering how to square it with Helms' bigoted, malevolent public persona.  Also, I'm sorry he didn't live long enough to see Obama become president-- it would be hard to imagine a better repudiation of everything Jesse Helms stood for.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#14 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

The Jesse Helms legacy:

On threatening the life of a sitting president: "Mr. Clinton better watch out if he comes down here. He'd better have a bodyguard."

- On gays and AIDS: “It's their deliberate, disgusting, revolting conduct that is responsible for the disease”

- On equality: "I've been portrayed as a caveman by some. That's not true. I'm a conservative progressive, and that means I think all men are equal, be they slants, beaners, or niggers."

- On education: "Your tax dollars are being used to pay for grade-school classes that teach our children that cannibalism, wife-swapping and murder of infants and the elderly are acceptable behavior."

- On civil rights: "The Negro cannot count forever on the kind of restraint that's thus far left him free to clog the streets, disrupt traffic, and interfere with other men's rights."

- On journalists: "The New York Times and Washington Post are both infested with homosexuals themselves. Just about every person down there is a homosexual or lesbian."

- On the Duke University students upset by Martin Luther King's assassination: "They should ask their parents if it would be all right for their son or daughter to marry a Negro."

Michelangelo Signorile:

No, I do not have any sympathy for his family at this time or anyone else connected to this man, so f*ck that usual nicety reserved even for the family of those with whom you disagreed. This is beyond a "disagreement ." Jesse Helms almost single-handedly allowed the deaths of thousands -- willfully denied them help -- while pushing his moral agenda in the Senate. His faint supposed apology in recent years -- for not doing more on AIDS, not for his vicious homophobia -- was far too little, too late, designed to clean up his ghastly legacy a little bit before he croaked. Throughout the 80s and 90s my friends died, and perhaps some of your friends died too, because this man stalled vital research and prevention efforts and vilified gay people.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#15 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

The man had a lot of contradictions to him.  I did not agree with his politics at all, but things like adopting that boy with CP shows that he had a kind side to him as well.

My condolences to his family.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#16 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

I'm sure that was a white boy with cerebral palsy, who was then indoctrinated with all sorts of hatred.  Sometimes being kind to children and dogs is not enough.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#17 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

I disagreed very strongly with the man and his positions, but I'm not one to speak ill of the dead out of respect for them and their families and loved ones.  I do not share his beliefs, but monocultures are always bad.  I salute him for his contributions and leadership as a public servant.  May he rest in peace.

#18 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

Wonder where the people are who'd scolded the mention of Ted Kennedy's horrors.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#19 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

I believe Nick's post in this thread is almost identical to his post in the Ted Kennedy thread.  

That said, you can't compare Ted Kennedy to Jesse Helms.  

The least generous interpretation of Ted Kennedy is that he's a drunk whose reckless endangerment of a young woman caused her death, which he then briefly tried to cover up.  

Jesse Helms, on the other hand, was a bigot to the core.  He used his position in the Senate to deny Federal money to research HIV/AIDS for years which delayed the breakthroughs of the mid-to-late 90s, resulting in the deaths of THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of people he didn't think deserved to be saved.

Anyone who thinks that's defensible -- Have at it.

Edited by ScottEVill, 08 July 2008 - 11:16 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:18 AM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Jul 8 2008, 09:08 AM, said:

Wonder where the people are who'd scolded the mention of Ted Kennedy's horrors.

Yeah I have to agree.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Jesse Helms, Senator, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users