2 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 07:19 PM

http://www.guardian....2855716,00.html

HONG KONG (AP) - Tens of thousands of Hong Kong residents marched Tuesday to protest a planned anti-subversion law - a demonstration that overshadowed the sixth anniversary of Britain's handover of the territory to China.

Hong Kong's national security law, expected to be passed in a few days, will outlaw sedition and other crimes against the state, giving police more powers and imposing life sentences for offenses. Opponents say the law will undermine freedoms of speech, press and assembly

Many critics believe Hong Kong will use the law to ban Falun Gong, the meditation group outlawed in mainland China as an ``evil cult.'' Beijing is trying to eradicate Falun Gong in the mainland, but the group remains legal in Hong Kong and frequently demonstrates here.

Religious groups, human rights activists and journalists fear their activities will be curtailed. Some business executives also worry about the free flow of information - viewed as crucial in this leading financial and market center.

Tung last week called the anti-subversion law necessary now that Hong Kong is part of China.

``We have to make sure that we are patriotic. We have to maintain the fundamental interests of our nation,'' Tung said. ``National security is something we cannot trifle with.''

Emphasis mine. This is definitely trouble. The Hong Kong/PRC dynamic is definitely going to be an interesting one over the coming months and days.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:11 PM

They'll be grinding them under the treads of tanks soon. The only rights Hong Kong residents had was under the democratic freedoms of British rule. Freedom and human rights are not universal, they don't exist for most of the world's population.

-Ogami

#3 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 08:46 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jul 2 2003, 02:20 AM, said:

This is definitely trouble. The Hong Kong/PRC dynamic is definitely going to be an interesting one over the coming months and days.
It certainly is! Southeast Asia has so many hot spots these days, it looks like the top of an electric oven. Given time, the PRC will inevitably try to bring Hong Kong into line with the rest of China. It might be an extremely gradual process, but sooner or later, they'll homogenize the laws until there's no difference between the two places. The big question is, how many of Hong Kong's citizens will resist, how will they resist this, and how effective will they be?
Per aspera ad astra

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Asia, Hong Kong, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users