• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

HOUSTON - Dr. Michael DeBakey, the world-famous cardiovascular surgeon who pioneered such now-common procedures as bypass surgery and invented a host of devices to help heart patients, has died. He was 99.

DeBakey died Friday night at The Methodist Hospital in Houston from "natural causes," according to a statement issued early Saturday by Baylor College of Medicine and The Methodist Hospital.

DeBakey counted world leaders among his patients and helped turn Baylor from a provincial school into one of the nation's great medical institutions.

"Dr. DeBakey's reputation brought many people into this institution, and he treated them all: heads of state, entertainers, businessmen and presidents, as well as people with no titles and no means," said Ron Girotto, president of The Methodist Hospital System.

Girotto said the surgeon "has improved the human condition and touched the lives of generations to come."

Link

This man affect more lives, touched more hearts that any other. This is the passing of a man whom if he were Roman Catholic would surely end up headed for sainthood.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:40 AM

He's had such an impact on modern medicine, and at 99 he had a pretty long life to boot. Rest In Peace sir.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

He trained hundreds of surgeons who have taken his techniques, and knowledge all over the globe. For decades in the high profile world of surgery, it was all the cache a surgeon needed. He was a tireless pioneer and despite his very human flaws- ones endemic to all the best surgeons- he was a giant among them.

I have always felt that he deserved the Nobel Prize for Medicine. And I believe that it was only his long standing rivalary with Cooley that prevented it - though seeing them share the award would have been major cool.

And as to their rivalry, I am glad that they recently made their peace with one another.
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

Wow.

My condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

#5 Gambler

Gambler
  • Islander
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

My condolences to his family.

Because of his pioneering in the heart bypass area, my father was able to have a quadruple bypass
and survive 3 heart attacks.

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

My father's cardiologists were trained by him, and to them, and their magnificent training  I owe my fathers life.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Dr. Michael DeBakey, Surgeon, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users