24 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

http://blogs.wsj.com...-potato-crisps/

On Friday, a British tax court ruled that Pringles are not, in fact, potato crisps — and therefore are not subject to Britain’s 17.5% sales tax. Here’s coverage from Bloomberg and Paul Caron’s TaxProf Blog. Click here for a copy of the opinion.

According to the Bloomberg story, most food in the U.K. is not taxable. The national tax office, however, had argued that Procter & Gamble’s Pringles fall into a category of taxable food for potato chips “and similar products made from the potato, or from potato flour, or from potato starch.”

But at a hearing in May, P&G’s lawyers claimed that Pringles don’t look, feel or taste like a regular potato chip (you’d get no argument from us on that). The lawyers also claimed the snack isn’t made like a chip since it is cooked from baked dough, not potato slices. According to the judgment, P&G’s lawyers had argued that potato chips “give a sharply crunchy sensation under the tooth and have to be broken down into jagged pieces when chewed.” A Pringle, they continued “is totally different . . . a Pringle is designed to melt down on the tongue.”

The tax court agreed, though it didn’t address what Pringles are.

Anybody have a fevor for the flavor for a Pringle now?  :blink:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

Great comment:

The container says potato crisps, but their OWN lawyers argue that they are NOT potato crisps. False advertising now. I’m gonna sue and make me a pretty euro.

:howling:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

Pringles are vile and NOT potato chips. :p
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:01 AM

^ pfft Pringles are potato chips, they're just made differently.  and better i might add.  Pringles are not soaked in grease like most other potato chips. :p

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#5 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

Fredrick J. Baur is spinning in his can.

#6 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

I like Pringles. I wonder if I still have that second can of them or whether I ate them already? *Goes to look.*
Rejected and gone.

#7 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

They are not "Potato Chips" and have never been marketed as such, but I think they do qualify as "Potato Crisps" since they are a crisp snack made from potatoes.  Of course, this gets into the whole U.K./U.S. distinction between what a Chip is.

This certainly isn't a Jaffa-Cake level trial.

Edited by Nick, 15 July 2008 - 12:18 PM.

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,905 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

Actually they were originally marketed as "Pringle's Newfangled Potato Chips," but the name was shortened to "Pringles" when they went national.  And on this photo:

http://upload.wikime...OriginalCan.jpg

I'm pretty sure the can says "Potato Crisps," which is the British equivalent of the US "potato chips" (since "chips" means french fries over there).
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#9 FrostAbode

FrostAbode

On The Road To Shambala

• Islander
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

The crazy thing is this:

The national tax office, however, had argued that Procter & Gamble’s Pringles fall into a category of taxable food for potato chips “and similar products made from the potato, or from potato flour, or from potato starch.”

So I'm thinking maybe that's the criteria for deciding if it falls under the tax.  I go to Pringles' website for its ingredient list, and I find:

http://www.pringles....tion_minis.html

The number one ingredient are potatos.  So, I don't get it.
The White House

Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it very often.

#10 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

View PostOmega, on Jul 15 2008, 10:33 AM, said:

It took me a while to get this. Nice!!
Can't Touch This!!

#11 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

I think we call them Crisps, here.
Rejected and gone.

#12 FrostAbode

FrostAbode

On The Road To Shambala

• Islander
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

View PostKosh, on Jul 15 2008, 03:19 PM, said:

View PostOmega, on Jul 15 2008, 10:33 AM, said:

It took me a while to get this. Nice!!

I had to look it up, but now I know... that's pretty funny.  :lol:
The White House

#13 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

View PostFrostAbode, on Jul 15 2008, 03:13 PM, said:

The crazy thing is this:

The national tax office, however, had argued that Procter & Gamble’s Pringles fall into a category of taxable food for potato chips “and similar products made from the potato, or from potato flour, or from potato starch.”

So I'm thinking maybe that's the criteria for deciding if it falls under the tax.  I go to Pringles' website for its ingredient list, and I find:

http://www.pringles....tion_minis.html

The number one ingredient are potatos.  So, I don't get it.

Maybe the potato content is too low at only 42%? From the BBC news

Mr Justice Warren ruled that Pringles were not "made from the potato" - as set out in the definition laid down by the 1994 VAT Act.

To be subject to VAT, a product "must be wholly, or substantially wholly, made from the potato".

But he said that Pringles did not meet these criteria - being made from potato flour, corn flour, wheat starch and rice flour together with fat and emulsifier, salt and seasoning, with a potato content of about 42%.

#14 FrostAbode

FrostAbode

On The Road To Shambala

• Islander
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

Yes, that might explain it.
The White House

#15 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:29 PM

Don't care what they call them, as long as I can use them to make edible duck bill shapes and run around the house honking I'm going to keep buying them. :D
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#16 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:10 PM

^ ^
:lol:

Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds creative uses for Pringles.... ;)

They also make good little scoops for half-melted chocolate ice cream.... :eat:

Peri
Posted Image

#17 FrostAbode

FrostAbode

On The Road To Shambala

• Islander
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

View PostFlatlandDan, on Jul 15 2008, 09:29 PM, said:

Don't care what they call them, as long as I can use them to make edible duck bill shapes and run around the house honking I'm going to keep buying them. :D

Do you dress like this when you do that? :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
The White House

#18 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

View PostFlatlandDan, on Jul 15 2008, 07:29 PM, said:

i have to quote that on my LJ...may i??

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#19 Lupatria

Lupatria

/thoughtfully smiling

• Islander
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:15 AM

I'm confused...  Of all the things happening in the world...  A debate on whether Pringles should be subject to sales tax or not based on potato content?!  Man, my priorities are wrong... o_O

#20 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

I wonder what the potato content of "regular" potato chips/crisps is once you account for the absorbed oils used to fry them, salt and seasonings . . .

New loophole, anyone?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diet & Nutrition, Health, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users