14 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

http://www.sfgate.co.../MN0111OTUA.DTL

So, are trans fats more dangerous than cigarettes or alcohol?

And is this the kind of thing that should be the subject of government regulation?

Lil
Posted Image

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Jul 15 2008, 04:30 PM, said:

http://www.sfgate.co.../MN0111OTUA.DTL

So, are trans fats more dangerous than cigarettes or alcohol?

And is this the kind of thing that should be the subject of government regulation?

Lil

Under normal circumstance's, I say the G was butting in, but Trans fats are another matter. I believe they are more dangerous then we know now.  Once they are out of Fast Foods, we may find out for sure. California leads the way again.
Can't Touch This!!

#3 Die Walküre

Die Walküre

Music Composer

• Islander
  • 686 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

Well welcome to the club Dark Wolf.

The trans fat ban is already in place since 2006 in New York City.

A state-wide ban would be an enormous undertaking.

Edited by DeltaRomeo, 15 July 2008 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

I don't think the problem is so much that trans fats are worse for you than cigarettes, but a lot of people will eat a packet of biscuits without knowing the dangers of trans fats, or that they even contain them. That's not really the case with tobacco and alcohol. I suppose a warning on anything that contains trans fats similar to the "smoking kills" warning on cigarette packets would be appropriate.
Posted Image

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

Yep soon you will see it. The shady buyer of a bit of transfat the screetch of tires as the black a white rols in and the sound of Bad Boys playing as the intro theme music.

Oy Vey could the state say spend money on getting rid of illegals? I mean there is a health risk. A bunch of people who cannot or will not pay the emergancy services they need. Note I am not saying they are filthy. I am saying since they usually give false info to the hospital and duck out of paying why not spend the money to keep them out.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

^  If the state is so concerned about the health of its residents, maybe it should focus on the fact that there are so many under or UN insured people in California instead of telling restaurants what they can serve...

And Delta, erm...I'm BAD Wolf....DARK Wolf is another person entirely...;)
Posted Image

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:07 PM

I have very mixed feelings about the trans fat ban, but Kosh is right - the fact that trans fats are so dangerous and that we just don't even know where they are is a real concern.   I do feel a lot better about eating out in NYC now that the ban is in effect.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

So how are they going to enforce this ban? The trans fat police?  :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:35 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on Jul 15 2008, 08:07 PM, said:

I do feel a lot better about eating out in NYC now that the ban is in effect.

QT

Last time I ate out in NY...which was awhile ago, the price made my jaw drop. I can only imagine what the price has jumped to now...What with the high gas prices and all.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

Prices are up because of the energy crunch, more than anything, although there may have been a slight uptick when the ban went into effect to accommodate the change.

Of course - price is also a function of where you eat.  You can go places and eat a full meal for 7 bucks, 10 if you add in something to drink, and you can go places and eat a full meal for 100. So - no real comment till you fess up on where you were! ;)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:25 AM

Yep soon you will see it. The shady buyer of a bit of transfat the screetch of tires as the black a white rols in and the sound of Bad Boys playing as the intro theme music.

Book em Dano!!
Can't Touch This!!

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on Jul 16 2008, 09:21 AM, said:

Of course - price is also a function of where you eat.  You can go places and eat a full meal for 7 bucks, 10 if you add in something to drink, and you can go places and eat a full meal for 100. So - no real comment till you fess up on where you were! ;)

QT

I do know one of the places was the Olive Garden. And the food, while good, had a very low portion. Reason I say that is because I was comparing the portion size to the portion size of the Olive Garden in NC. In NC you get much more food for your money then you do in NY. And the price was about 10 dollars more then what it would've costed in NC.

Another one was a diner, can't recall the name of it though...And the price was just shocking to me...But then again I'm use to NC prices for eating out. And NY prices are decided higher.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#13 Die Walküre

Die Walküre

Music Composer

• Islander
  • 686 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:41 AM

And Delta, erm...I'm BAD Wolf....DARK Wolf is another person entirely...

Crap.  :wallbash: Sorry.
Posted Image

#14 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:28 AM

Dark Wolf, Bad Wolf, Robert Hewitt Wolfe. It's easy to get confused.
Can't Touch This!!

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

But, but, Robert has an E at the end of his name!!!!   :ninja:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, California, Trans-fats ban, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users