9 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:00 PM

http://story.news.ya...ting_sentence_3

SAPULPA, Okla. - A convicted rapist has been sentenced to life in prison for spitting on a police officer.

Creek County Associate District Judge April Sellers White followed the recommendation of a jury for the maximum sentence against John C. Marquez under a law that makes it a felony to place bodily fluids on law enforcement officers.

It sounds like the jury is punishing this man for his earlier crimes. This seems, to me, a huge miscarriage of justice... :look:. Anybody out there think this is fair?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:04 PM

My mother would probably approve of this sentence.  She takes spitting personally.

She doesn't like baseball, either, because those guys spit... ;)

#3 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:06 PM

Oh I just see the appeal  court looking and asking the judge" Did you burn your lips on the crack pipe when you came up with this crap". Of course there will be no offical comment made. Jesus talk about getting stupid about crime.

There is no way to take this seriously becasue it is just so demented an action.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:09 PM

I am not sure what to think. I have seen similar things coming out of some of the small towns here in Texas, so I am not very surprized however.

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:29 PM

With the fear of AIDS, being on alot of people's minds, this is a fair if questionable law, but I think the judge threw the book at him, for no good reason. :wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:43 PM

DWF, on Jul 3 2003, 08:25 PM, said:

With the fear of AIDS, being on alot of people's minds, this is a fair if questionable law, but I think the judge threw the book at him, for no good reason. :wacko:
LOL John

DWF-- I'm pretty confident that AIDS can't, in fact, be transmitted by spit.... I'll have to check though.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:45 PM

Rov: As far as I know, it can't be.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:47 PM

IIRC AIDS cannot only not be transmitted by spit, even if it could, the idea that it could be transmitted by someone spitting on someone is preposterous.

Kinda like this verdict.

Lil
Posted Image

#9 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 10:43 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jul 3 2003, 11:39 PM, said:

DWF-- I'm pretty confident that AIDS can't, in fact, be transmitted by spit.... I'll have to check though.
I think you're misunderstanding me, I didn't say AIDS can transmitted that way, the law states "bodily fluids". I think there was a case locally where, a man who had AIDS cut himslef, and went around spraying his blood on other people.

I'm certain that this, is what the law is about, not about spitting.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#10 mack12345

mack12345
  • Islander
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 12:03 PM

Well he should have gotten life for the rape.
That being said, if the judge was punishing him
for crimes already paid for, that is wrong.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Punishment, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users